The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, melmerby said:

Like Norwegian Spruce?

Obviously where the Beatles got the inspiration for Norwegian Wood,

High on pine resin?

No idea what your talking about. Probably because I don't use it.

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm afraid caused by all the inbreeding in rural communities. 

Somewhere I read a claim that the one thing that stopped a genetic collapse in some rural communities was the invention of the bicycle.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

51 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

Somewhere I read a claim that the one thing that stopped a genetic collapse in some rural communities was the invention of the bicycle.

Norfolk, I believe.

I could be wrong!

• Funny 2

On 10/12/2022 at 16:24, melmerby said:

Surely they have been available 365 days for many a year?

I don't associate them with Easter at all,

I don't associate Cadbury's with chocolate either. Odd really as I went to school in Bournville for 5 years and went past Cadbury's main gate on the bus every day to get there and back.

Probably sick of the smell of it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bitter is odd, i can't stand quite a few, tonic watrr, grapefruit,  coffee, yet i like sprouts.

As to buying food,  aldi is basically equivalent to Tesco value.  But the real surprise value place is marks and Spencer.  Some real bargains.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Screenshot_20221208-152944_Google.jpg

SWMBO and I used to be big fans of The Manchester Storm ice hockey team, back in the day when British ice hockey was worth watching. I used to write for  Thunderflash,  the underground fanzine of The Storm (explanations in italics where  necessary)...

Football is the country's national sport. The highest level of football in this country is played in the
Premier League. Ice hockey is very much a minority sport. The highest level of ice hockey is played in
the Superleague. Here's a little contrast between the lives of Premier league footballers and
Superleague ice hockey players.

Premier League Footballers are household names - even in Hong Kong.

Superleague Hockey Players haven't been heard of by people who live a quarter of a mile from their home arena.

Premier League Footballers drive Ferraris, Mercedes and Porsches.

Superleague Hockey Players get a Ford Fiesta if they're lucky (and get it repossessed if they play for a certain North East team). The Sheffield Steelers, who totally ignored the salary cap and got into serious financial difficulties because they couldn't pay for all the expensive players they'd bought.

Premier League Footballers have "celebrity" marriages to supermodels, pop stars and TV presenters.

Superleague Hockey Players' wives get seasonal jobs in department stores (but they don't have "celebrity" divorces either, so that's a good thing).

Premier League Footballers have their houses featured in "Hello" magazine.

Superleague Hockey Players sometimes read "Hello" magazine (if there's nothing else in the physio's waiting room).

Premier League Footballers retire to become actors, TV presenters or open a successful nightclub chain.

Superleague Hockey Players retire to become state troopers, teachers or open a dry-cleaning business (we
still love you, Ruby!)  Brad Rubachuck, who retired because he broke his neck.

Premier League Footballers are hounded by crowds of gorgeous young women in Stringfellows.

Superleague Hockey Players regularly get their faces slapped in Yates' Wine Lodge.

On the other hand -

Premier League Footballers mince around the pitch kicking the ball to one another. Some will spend the whole match lurking in front of the opposition's net.

Superleague Hockey Players skate at 25 miles an hour, get bounced off the boards and have to cover the whole arena as fast as the puck does (Corey Spring excepted). He wasn't the best purchase The Storm ever made.

Premier League Footballers get substituted if they're looking tired.

Superleague Hockey Players get substituted if they're looking tired, but get put back on the ice when they

recover.

Premier League Footballers fall over clutching themselves in agony if an opponent's boot comes within half an

inch of their shins (actual contact means they are stretchered off the pitch).

Superleague Hockey Players get up and carry on playing after being boarded at 25 mph by some 18-stone goon. Boarded - slammed into the walls around the rink by a member of the opposition.

Premier League Footballers clutch their groins when standing in the wall for a free-kick, just in case someone kicks the ball at them.

Superleague Hockey Players lie down in front of the net in the hope that they'll get in the way when someone hits the puck at them (and it's a lot harder and faster than a football).

Premier League Footballers are taught how to fall over safely.

Superleague Hockey Players are taught how to box.

Premier League Footballers do a lap of honour when they win the FA Cup.

Superleague Hockey Players do a lap of honour after every match.

Makes you wonder who's being paid right, doesn't it?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, CameronL said:

SWMBO and I used to be big fans of The Manchester Storm ice hockey team, back in the day when British ice hockey was worth watching. I used to write for  Thunderflash,  the underground fanzine of The Storm (explanations in italics where  necessary)...

Football is the country's national sport. The highest level of football in this country is played in the
Premier League. Ice hockey is very much a minority sport. The highest level of ice hockey is played in
the Superleague. Here's a little contrast between the lives of Premier league footballers and
Superleague ice hockey players.

Premier League Footballers are household names - even in Hong Kong.

Superleague Hockey Players haven't been heard of by people who live a quarter of a mile from their home arena.

Premier League Footballers drive Ferraris, Mercedes and Porsches.

Superleague Hockey Players get a Ford Fiesta if they're lucky (and get it repossessed if they play for a certain North East team). The Sheffield Steelers, who totally ignored the salary cap and got into serious financial difficulties because they couldn't pay for all the expensive players they'd bought.

Premier League Footballers have "celebrity" marriages to supermodels, pop stars and TV presenters.

Superleague Hockey Players' wives get seasonal jobs in department stores (but they don't have "celebrity" divorces either, so that's a good thing).

Premier League Footballers have their houses featured in "Hello" magazine.

Superleague Hockey Players sometimes read "Hello" magazine (if there's nothing else in the physio's waiting room).

Premier League Footballers retire to become actors, TV presenters or open a successful nightclub chain.

Superleague Hockey Players retire to become state troopers, teachers or open a dry-cleaning business (we
still love you, Ruby!)  Brad Rubachuck, who retired because he broke his neck.

Premier League Footballers are hounded by crowds of gorgeous young women in Stringfellows.

Superleague Hockey Players regularly get their faces slapped in Yates' Wine Lodge.

On the other hand -

Premier League Footballers mince around the pitch kicking the ball to one another. Some will spend the whole match lurking in front of the opposition's net.

Superleague Hockey Players skate at 25 miles an hour, get bounced off the boards and have to cover the whole arena as fast as the puck does (Corey Spring excepted). He wasn't the best purchase The Storm ever made.

Premier League Footballers get substituted if they're looking tired.

Superleague Hockey Players get substituted if they're looking tired, but get put back on the ice when they

recover.

Premier League Footballers fall over clutching themselves in agony if an opponent's boot comes within half an

inch of their shins (actual contact means they are stretchered off the pitch).

Superleague Hockey Players get up and carry on playing after being boarded at 25 mph by some 18-stone goon. Boarded - slammed into the walls around the rink by a member of the opposition.

Premier League Footballers clutch their groins when standing in the wall for a free-kick, just in case someone kicks the ball at them.

Superleague Hockey Players lie down in front of the net in the hope that they'll get in the way when someone hits the puck at them (and it's a lot harder and faster than a football).

Premier League Footballers are taught how to fall over safely.

Superleague Hockey Players are taught how to box.

Premier League Footballers do a lap of honour when they win the FA Cup.

Superleague Hockey Players do a lap of honour after every match.

It made me smile that Blackburn Hawks beat Widnes Wild 3-2 earlier tonight.

(National Ice Hockey League North 1)

What really made me smile in days gone were the Hawks winning at the Nynex (later MEN and Manchester) Arena against the Storm in the Storm's first year in 1995. IIRC, the only team to win there that season as Storm were extremely well financed at the time......... Made even sweeter by Paul Fleury scoring for the Hawks as he'd been dropped by the Storm a few months earlier as being deemed "not good enough for the Storm".

I have the game on a VHS tape somewhere as it was televised by Sky and I'm seen celebrating in the crowd on at least two occasions. The attendance was a record for a British Ice hockey game at the time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Premier League Footballers ......

Oh, I could get so banned for voicing my opinion on Premier League payments compared to those of us in the real world....

• Like 4
  • Agree 4