The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Given the wording "goes towards", I think we have to assume that the financial aid is part of the operating budget.

I suspect that the person who draw the graph just didn't understand how a pie chart works (or just wasn't thinking when they did it).

Or understands how to work out percentages!

• RMweb Gold

Given the wording "goes towards", I think we have to assume that the financial aid is part of the operating budget.

I suspect that the person who draw the graph just didn't understand how a pie chart works (or just wasn't thinking when they did it).

Or understands how to work out percentages!

Presumably a school/college/univesity leaver of the past ten or so years?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree with this, had never heard of this expression until I started working for a US company last year, I hate it and refuse to use it.

It badly fails the quick test of "can I say this using a simple English expression with the same meaning".

The ones that bother me are when a word or phrase really annoys me but I can't think of an alternative with sufficiently similar meaning.

...I suspect that the person who draw the graph just didn't understand how a pie chart works (or just wasn't thinking when they did it).

Firstly because it should only be used to show the division of a total. The total is implied but not stated, and that sets warning bells ringing. (They actually also spent £800M in director's emoluments, bribes, slush and 'other'.) The neat round numbers are deeply suspect too.

Doubly so, in that they were using software which has 'sexed up' the pie chart so that rather than an unequivocally plane figure in which the area ratios afford a direct comparison, a sphere is suggested by the shading - given the colour choice it is an 'export edam' chart - and we cannot see all of the solid in a plane representation.... That makes it a potentially very effective tool for deception, not least since most folks cannot make accurate volumetric comparisons, and there's further potential yet for thiose seeking to deceive.

Pie charts immediately trigger the thought in me 'what is being hidden here?'. In case someone hasn't guessed, I loathe the pie chart, and had terrific fun all through my career getting them removed from reporting except when used rigorously correctly.

Pie charts immediately trigger the thought in me 'what is being hidden here?'. In case someone hasn't guessed, I loathe the pie chart, and had terrific fun all through my career getting them removed from reporting except when used rigorously correctly.

I don't think you can argue with this one, although the reference to "I" may be incorrect, as there is no actual proof that the action illustrated was carried out by the creator of the chart.

http://www.sweetspot.com/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2014/10/a-focus-on-visualizations-pie-charts.jpg

• Like 2

This little beasty certainly made me smile yesterday. Lovely to have a loco just out of overhaul where everything is just right, and one that goes about its duties with little fuss, is economical on coal and water, produces plenty of steam and has the power to easily deal with what it was asked to do.

post-8705-0-58619400-1507548089_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

This little beasty certainly made me smile yesterday. Lovely to have a loco just out of overhaul where everything is just right, and one that goes about its duties with little fuss, is economical on coal and water, produces plenty of steam and has the power to easily deal with what it was asked to do.

attachicon.gifIMG_4931.JPG

I wouldn't mind a model of that.

I know the person who did the pie chart works high up in a goverment department..... This way the truth can never come out. 

If you enjoyed Yes Minister et al check out Utopia from Australia. I know a large number of people who work in the actual departments state that it is way too close to the truth. 

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/utopia/

Sometimes it's the little things which make you chuckle - I know a lot of members on here don't do facebook, but on the 'ITC Entertainment' group this morning in a discussion about 'The Prisoner' someone accidentally came up with the word 'confusement' instead of confusion, which sums up the series very nicely!

• Like 2