Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

What is quite extraordinary is that throughout all of this, the forty-ish year old Airfix Mk2D's are still being held up as a sought after and pretty decent model with a bit of work.  Perhaps it was ahead of its time?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What is quite extraordinary is that throughout all of this, the forty-ish year old Airfix Mk2D's are still being held up as a sought after and pretty decent model with a bit of work.  Perhaps it was ahead of its time?

Not really the old Triang Mark 2 is pretty good despite lack of flush glazing.

Hornby 25.

Lima 47.

Triang 21 is a better cab than latest Hornby.

Lots of old models are well worth detailing.

But S/H 2D plus detailing bits is more than Hornby 2E and getting closer to Bachmann 2F, however for a 2D is easier than hacking up a Hornby or lot more hacking up a Bachmann.

But for a mixed set same brand modified is worth doing, but I can't see me bothering with Hornby 2E despite cheap as they run with 2D FK and BFK, BFK easier to produce with Airfix.

Hence why I reckon it is worth Bachmann doing the lot.

• RMweb Premium

I feel that the general shape of quite a few older models was more or less spot on, with the let downs being the detail and mechanism. Now we seem to have the detail and better mechs, but all too frequently the general shape is 'off'.

I wonder whether the "bells and whistles" have really added much to the price of the 2F... we have seen substantial price hikes across the Bachmann range (for good reasons that are well documented so I won't go there).  I suspect the result of this is that fewer units sell (simple market elasticity) which in turn pushes the unit price up as the cost of tooling has to be amortised over fewer unit sales, which reduces sales further and drives cost even further...  

I wonder whether the 2F has suffered this fate and the "bells and whistles" have been added at relatively low cost to try and justify the higher price point? 

And before anyone points out that the Mk1s and early Mk2s aren't at same prices, bear in mind that the tooling costs on these models will have been written down on the first batches some years back so these coaches only have to cover their direct manufacturing costs.

Going head to head with Hornby on their 2E (which for many will be "close enough") may not have helped here as it will almost certainly have taken away potential sales to some modellers who find the 2E fine for their needs.  I suspect (and also suspect will be impossible to ever confirm) that Bachmann have made far fewer 2Fs than they would have done in the past with say the 2A or Mk1 carriage on initial release.  This may explain why some retailers are sold out quickly, and may also help prevent deep discounting to shift surplus stock.  Hornby by comparison would appear to have manufactured way more 2Es than the market wants resulting in the fire sales we are now seeing (and have seen before).

For me personally, I have a few Mk2Fs sitting at the post office waiting collection.  Not 20 like I ordered of the 2A on release - so for sure the price is holding me back a little. 

For all the discussion on the 2E I personally can't help feeling it is a bargain.  30 years ago when I had 2 paper rounds and delivered eggs door to door, I too saved my cash and bought Lima whenever I could.  The 2E is in real terms much cheaper than Lima coaches were 30 years ago, and much better than overlength Mk1 BGs or deeply recessed window Mk2s or even worse Hornby's shorty Mk3.  Yes it could have been better but as a low cost starting point it is not bad at all.  My personal biggest bugbear with all Hornby's coaches is their colours which (to me) just aren't right (Blue too dark, Intercity beige too yellow) - i'm not adverse to carving up solebars to improve the look but getting my airbrush set up and hoping to achieve anything like a factory finish... well life is too short as far as I'm concerned!

M

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

People say Hornby 2Es are still in stock, but actually it’s mainly FO and BSO that are still around. All TSOs seem to have been snapped up. You are probably correct though Matt , I think there will be fewer Bachmann 2Fs made than Hornby 2Es.

• RMweb Gold

People say Hornby 2Es are still in stock, but actually it’s mainly FO and BSO that are still around. All TSOs seem to have been snapped up. You are probably correct though Matt , I think there will be fewer Bachmann 2Fs made than Hornby 2Es.

Its a perenial issue with most coaches...

If people decide to +1 more to their collection, its usually always the 2nd (or 3rd) that people add, not a 1st or brake.

• RMweb Gold

The comments on production runs and tooling costs need to also consider that Bachmann have their own factory, and previously the UK market was not delivering the right level of profitability for the amount of production capacity tied up. The higher current prices may be quite intentionally reducing production quantites, so that the factory can concentrate its output more effectively on the most profitable markets around the world.

These shorter runs do make it much harder though for us consumers to acquire a good length train over time, as stock has gone after a few weeks. The alternative is to sink £300+ in 1 month, which is very difficult to justify for many us with more pressing committments. That the demographic for these coaches is perhaps a little younger than other models probably exacerbates the problem. Anyhow, I've decided I can do without for now, and if I had managed to chuck a few quid away every month since they were announced I would still be baulking about spending it all at once on a rake of these, when there are still more essential models needed for my era.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 2

Just got two second class coaches and a brake to go with my first class, thought I would put a deltic at the front with a mk1 full brake and a buffet. Total surprise the mk2 coaches sit about 1mm lower, quite noticeable when marshalled next to the mk1 makes them look ho in scale, sort of spoils it for me. Has anyone noticed.

It's probably the mk1's that are a bit high. When the Bachmann Mk2a came out, that sat on too small wheels and really didn't match the Mk1 's height.

The thing is the Deltic like the 37 is too high so the wheels won't catch the body on 2nd radius curves and set track points but the Mk 1 looks Ok with these whereas a scale height coach may look much lower with a Mk1 or Deltic.

A little review of the Bachmann Mk2Fs Blue / Grey & Intercity, which arrived yesterday from Derails.

Ive skipped the unboxing video.. (12 coaches is a lot of boxes) and run them alongside MK2d and Mk2e's.

Nice video, with some interesting observations.....are you running these on DC or DCC ? 

Surprised to see the new MK2F lights flickering, would have thought they would have some form of capacitor to stop that. My own lit Hornby MK2E's stay on for a good few seconds when lifted off the track - more so on DCC than DC.

No CDL's on the Swallow RFM ? - yet the apparently the B/Grey (as preserved version) has them ? Odd....

No CDL's on the Swallow RFM ? - yet the apparently the B/Grey (as preserved version) has them ? Odd....

But correct.  When first converted the RFM was outshopped in the new Intercity livery but was retro fitted with central door locking so operated for about twelve months without CDLs.  The blue and grey one is a model of the preserved RFM running on main line charter services today so does correctly carry central door locking lights.

No RFM Mk2f ever ran on BR in regular service in blue and grey.

• Like 1

Yes agreed the deltic sits too high. Anyone got any easy fixes for this, I tried bringing the mk2 up in height with a washer but it looks silly. Not sure how to bring the mk1 down.

Depending on the radius of the curves used ?  at the top of the bogies where the locating screw fits to the chassis, you could try removing a small amount from the bogie top mounting face,  this should drop the body down slightly  - trial and error a small bit at a time..........

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

Nice video, with some interesting observations.....are you running these on DC or DCC ?

Surprised to see the new MK2F lights flickering, would have thought they would have some form of capacitor to stop that. My own lit Hornby MK2E's stay on for a good few seconds when lifted off the track - more so on DCC than DC.

I’m running DC.

Unlike the Hornby mk2e, There is no apparent capacitor or other stay alive feature in the mk2f... Power on, lights on, Power reduced, brightness reduced, Power off.. lights off, momentary gap in power on the track.. lights off.

There is cdl lights on the buffet only, but not useful on DC, no CDL on the intercity either (but thats correct for both liveries). The buffet is one of those coaches, where if they didnt tool it now, they might never will and we’ll be complaining of lack of buffets. However tooling it now makes rakes a little less uniforms, accurate as we’d like.

I was a little surprised myself, about the lack of stay alive.

Edited by adb968008

I’m running DC.

Unlike the Hornby mk2e, There is no apparent capacitor or other stay alive feature in the mk2f... Power on, lights on, Power reduced, brightness reduced, Power off.. lights off, momentary gap in power on the track.. lights off.

There is cdl lights on the buffet, but not useful on DC.

Considering the cost of these (DCC) MK2F's  - it's very surprising that they have no form of stay alive/capacitor fitted - they should/could have been included in the circuit for the very minor extra cost that would have involved...............

• RMweb Premium

Sample DBSO on the Bachmann stand at Spalding exhibition today. I asked the rep if they will be doing the DRS version as currently used with class 37s on the Cumbrian Coast line? The answer was no, as the end is different and would require different tooling. However, he went on to say that while there were no plans at the moment, you never know what will happens in future.

When the Bachmann Mk2a came out, that sat on too small wheels and really didn't match the Mk1 's height.

At least get your facts right. The wheels are the correct size, the spacer between the chassis and the top of the bogies was too shallow (by 20 - 30 thou).

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

Sample DBSO on the Bachmann stand at Spalding exhibition today. I asked the rep if they will be doing the DRS version as currently used with class 37s on the Cumbrian Coast line? The answer was no, as the end is different and would require different tooling. However, he went on to say that while there were no plans at the moment, you never know what will happens in future.

I'm sure I read earlier in this thread that Bachmann designed the DBSO with changeable tooling inserts so the later DBSO variants could be produced in the future ? it would make commercial sense........

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

The main gripe here appears to be the price so I have a few suggestions for people:

1. Don't moan, just accept the price. If you want to carry on buying Airfix/Hornby Mk2Ds then that's fine (good luck with finding TSOs).

2. As we have been waiting 5 years for these then it might have been a good idea to actually put some money aside so if you wanted to buy these when they came out you could afford to purchase them with no financial hardship.

As regards any other moans on this topic I've decided to just ignore them. Constructive criticism is fine, First Class seats being the wrong way round is a good case in point. All the other negative remarks seem to me to be "how woe is me" - you know what, I really don't care.

• Like 3