A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm always amazed when going to the G0G shows in Telford etc. The pensioners there certainly aren't short of a bob or two. The thick wedges and rolls of cash coming out of jacket pockets has to be seen to be believed.

I was talking to one of the traders there who hadn't been before and she was absolutely gobsmacked by the bundles of cash being waved around - hadn't seen anything like it before at other exhibitions.

Makes you feel quite inadequate when an order for several Masterpiece Models locos is paid for in cash!

Just the same at the GOG trade show at Reading.  I think it's because a lot of the traders don't trust banks (or don't want 'em to know what their business is really worth).

Edited by The Stationmaster

No modelling here, however, I find that an ice cold frappé rarely offends especially when it has that lovely chocolate colour we all like !

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Oh! It's a hard life search for the right colours.

Cy Prus

It's all right for some, we had our first snowfall of the winter today whilst out walking in the woods just down the road in Cosby.........

post-9751-0-90601500-1505059673.jpg

The rough sleepers in the woods seem to think it was fun to put up false signage to confuse us......

post-9751-0-91361700-1505059899.jpg

but we still managed to catch sight of the Finchings' new mobility scooter - massively over-engineered if you ask me.

post-9751-0-97919000-1505060163.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's all right for some, we had our first snowfall of the winter today whilst out walking in the woods just down the road in Cosby.........

attachicon.gifDSCN8397.JPG

The rough sleepers in the woods seem to think it was fun to put up false signage to confuse us......

attachicon.gifDSCN8458.JPG

but we still managed to catch sight of the Finchings' new mobility scooter - massively over-engineered if you ask me.

attachicon.gifDSCN8409.JPG

The Battle of the Bulge! Some RMwebbers may be familiar with that closer to home, mind. Carrefour in Malmedy is quite good news in a not-very-shopper friendly area. 

• RMweb Gold

Just arrived home from a stay over at Swindon after the show, I was a bit disappointed this year it was very depleted Layouts and trade stands and that big old 0 gauge test track

taking up acres of space didn't help plus those plank layouts the operator stands in front and you can't see buqqer all it was a shame as the past shows have been very good.

No to let that spoil things I pick up a Bachmann Rood Ashton Hall (ex set) and the best by far was the latest Hornby Drysllwyn Castle at the Hornby shop for £112.50  :swoon: which SWMBO 

has said thats your Christmas Present this year I was happy with that as the 47xx is now going to be in the new year.

post-8647-0-90162200-1505133175_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I too was a little disappointed inthe Swindon show.

A lot of pretty good layouts, but nothing stood out, and the impression was not helped by the level of inactivity on

many of them. This was multiplied by having the company of a grandson, whitch mitigates against waiting for

something to happen. It also seemed much quieter than last year.

• RMweb Gold

A lot of pretty good layouts, but nothing stood out, and the impression was not helped by the level of inactivity on

many of them. This was multiplied by having the company of a grandson, whitch mitigates against waiting for

Mike Stationmaster suggested that I went again but it would be a long journey to find disappointment in the show.

• RMweb Gold

What a shame.. I went a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Had it in the diary as a maybe, but glad I didn't waste the hard won points with the wife to be disappointed. 

• RMweb Gold

A shame Rood Ashton Hall has the tiny Tender. I know 4903 Ashley Hall had one in early 1948 (rebuilt from Dean Tender No. 1459), but I don't know of any others after the war. 

I've a spare 4000 gal Hornby tender being kept for my De-Glehn Atlantic kit, I'll think I will put that on Rood Ashton Hall with a new draw bar and the smaller tender on to the kit. :declare:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alas (or was it a good thing?) I didn't make the Swindon show yesterday.  Swmbo decided she 'needed' some shopping - which turned out to be half a trolley full - so my departure was pushed back over an hour, the roads were occupied by road works with traffic lights and numerous drivers who appeared to be unable to drive at the permitted speed let alone any faster on open country roads, I had to overtake 3 diesel powered cars which seemed to be more badly maintained than the average site vehicle judging by their exhausts, and when I did finally get there the queue for the car park was about 400 yards long.  So I went to the other side of the way in to the car park and the queue there was even longer plus the other outlet car park was full as well.

So I gave up and headed for the M4 and back to Tilehurst to save 6.2p per litre on refilling with diesel and then proceeded to follow bloke in a funny little car called a 'SWIFT' (Japanese I presume) which was anything but swift and I presume the driver was probably p*ssed out of his mind as he never got about 20mph in the 30 zone, frequently drove with one lot of wheels on the white line (to convince himself he wasn't p*ssed perhaps?)  and only just topped 30 in the 40 zones  capping it all by pulling out straight in front of someone coming from the right at a roundabout after I'd gone round him in the other lane.  Fortunately this utter pill*ck,who was by now worryingly behind me, turned off shortly after.

So target for next weekend is the Wantage Tramway book launch at Wantage - and I'll aim for an early start (and no 'shopping' because swmbo will be in Finland).

• RMweb Gold

Everyone goes on about how a pannier never offends even in black but you watch the tarts queue up to get the new Andrew Barclay tank from Hatton's. No loyalty. Should have done the Manor... :rtfm: 

Alas (or was it a good thing?) I didn't make the Swindon show yesterday.  Swmbo decided she 'needed' some shopping - which turned out to be half a trolley full - so my departure was pushed back over an hour, the roads were occupied by road works with traffic lights and numerous drivers who appeared to be unable to drive at the permitted speed let alone any faster on open country roads, I had to overtake 3 diesel powered cars which seemed to be more badly maintained than the average site vehicle judging by their exhausts, and when I did finally get there the queue for the car park was about 400 yards long.  So I went to the other side of the way in to the car park and the queue there was even longer plus the other outlet car park was full as well.

So I gave up and headed for the M4 and back to Tilehurst to save 6.2p per litre on refilling with diesel and then proceeded to follow bloke in a funny little car called a 'SWIFT' (Japanese I presume) which was anything but swift and I presume the driver was probably p*ssed out of his mind as he never got about 20mph in the 30 zone, frequently drove with one lot of wheels on the white line (to convince himself he wasn't p*ssed perhaps?)  and only just topped 30 in the 40 zones  capping it all by pulling out straight in front of someone coming from the right at a roundabout after I'd gone round him in the other lane.  Fortunately this utter pill*ck,who was by now worryingly behind me, turned off shortly after.

So target for next weekend is the Wantage Tramway book launch at Wantage - and I'll aim for an early start (and no 'shopping' because swmbo will be in Finland).

Just be grateful you don't live in France, home of the car equivalent of the Moped, top speed 30 mph (or whatever that is in kph) and no Driving Licence required. Fortunately for me the only time I am likely to be seen in the vicinity of Swindon these days (I do have a connection with Swindon - not railway related) is on the way to Dover.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

Guest 7007GreatWestern

A shame Rood Ashton Hall has the tiny Tender. I know 4903 Ashley Hall had one in early 1948 (rebuilt from Dean Tender No. 1459), but I don't know of any others after the war. 

Dear All,

I'll start by warning non-followers of the 'true faith' that they may want to skip to the next post as what follows is pretty hardcore anorak territory.....

Mike, you are quite correct. As you may be aware there is a rather nice photo of 4903 Astley Hall attached to Dean tender in March 1948 in Lawrence Waters' book 'Great Western Halls and Modified Halls'. The tender carries the livery 'GWR' (with no crest - that is important).

I imagined that was the only example of a Hall being attached to one of those tenders until I found this:-

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Collett-Locomotives/Collett-460-designs/Collet-Hall-4900-Class-4900695/Collett-Halls-Pre-1968/49064970-Built-1929/i-m7N7vPH/A

Sadly the resolution of the image isn't great so I can't positively identify the loco.

As you can see both the 'Hall' and the 'Star' behind it have BR number plates mounted on their respective smokebox doors. So, this looks to have been taken shortly after nationalisation. The tender looks to be one of the earlier 'flush riveted' specimens. The loco is clearly one of the early batches - you can tell that by the absence of the fire-iron tunnel and the shape of the grab rail on the cab side. So, why is this probably NOT 4903 'Astley Hall' which we know was attached to one of these tenders and is also from the early production batches? Because some loyal soul has rubbed away the layers of filth to reveal the GWR heraldic coat of arms NOT the W of GWR! So it is either not 'Astley Hall' or it is 'Astley Hall' and it was repainted in from GWR livery to G-emblem-W after March 1948 (which isn't very likely).

Anyone got any mates in NASA? We really need the image processing kit they used to salvage the distorted images from 'Hubble' to read those bl##dy name and number plates!

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Anyone got any mates in NASA? We really need the image processing kit they used to salvage the distorted images from 'Hubble' to read those bl##dy name and number plates!

Whoops! It would help if I read the bl##dy captions! It is apparently 4944 Middleton Hall.

Sorry! Not having a good day today (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). Still we have found another postwar hall attached to a small tender which may be of use to someone........

• Like 2