A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Would it be good for this thread to spare a thought for Rich "The Fatadder", last heard of holed-up in his hotel room in Orlando, where he has thankfully survived Irma?

Nice touch Ian. Very much so.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Alas (or was it a good thing?) I didn't make the Swindon show yesterday.  Swmbo decided she 'needed' some shopping - which turned out to be half a trolley full - so my departure was pushed back over an hour, the roads were occupied by road works with traffic lights and numerous drivers who appeared to be unable to drive at the permitted speed let alone any faster on open country roads, I had to overtake 3 diesel powered cars which seemed to be more badly maintained than the average site vehicle judging by their exhausts, and when I did finally get there the queue for the car park was about 400 yards long.  So I went to the other side of the way in to the car park and the queue there was even longer plus the other outlet car park was full as well.

So I gave up and headed for the M4 and back to Tilehurst to save 6.2p per litre on refilling with diesel and then proceeded to follow bloke in a funny little car called a 'SWIFT' (Japanese I presume) which was anything but swift and I presume the driver was probably p*ssed out of his mind as he never got about 20mph in the 30 zone, frequently drove with one lot of wheels on the white line (to convince himself he wasn't p*ssed perhaps?)  and only just topped 30 in the 40 zones  capping it all by pulling out straight in front of someone coming from the right at a roundabout after I'd gone round him in the other lane.  Fortunately this utter pill*ck,who was by now worryingly behind me, turned off shortly after.

So target for next weekend is the Wantage Tramway book launch at Wantage - and I'll aim for an early start (and no 'shopping' because swmbo will be in Finland).

What we used to call a "Sunday driver" Mike (the bloke in the Swift, not you).

• RMweb Gold

Everyone goes on about how a pannier never offends even in black but you watch the tarts queue up to get the new Andrew Barclay tank from Hatton's. No loyalty. Should have done the Manor... :rtfm:

At least it's not got the must have tacky number plate recesses on the cab sheeting and they appear to be well in advance with the EP models already done which was

a lot quicker the the 48/14xx, good luck to Hattons they have done well to ditch their last supplier.  :D

Mike you didn't miss anything at Swindon we won't be going next year there were 2 large layouts which were worthwhile to see as for the rest of it which wasn't much was severely lacking

in entertaining us. 

Edited by 81C
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just be grateful you don't live in France, home of the car equivalent of the Moped, top speed 30 mph (or whatever that is in kph) and no Driving Licence required. Fortunately for me the only time I am likely to be seen in the vicinity of Swindon these days (I do have a connection with Swindon - not railway related) is on the way to Dover.

Dangerous little s*ds.  However on one occasion one of them gave some real entertainment - I was at a meeting at the Gare du Nord and it started snowing just about the time we had our coffee break so we were wasting our time looking out of the window watching the snow come down.  One of the silly little moped riding twits obviously decided that snow was silly soft stuff and duly opened the throttle wide - leading to the entertaining spectacle of his machine sliding rapidly across the snow on its side in one direction and its pea brained rider sliding across the cobbles, where a  lot of the snow had melted as it landed, in the opposite direction.   Natural justice still has its place in the world.

• Like 4

The Battle of the Bulge! Some RMwebbers may be familiar with that closer to home, mind. Carrefour in Malmedy is quite good news in a not-very-shopper friendly area. 

I hope they have liberalised their acceptance of credit cards. Just prior to the Channel Tunnel opening, we had a 'team-building' exercise at Malmedy Carnival. Having filled a trolley with beer and chocolate, we arrived at the till and presented a UK credit card. 'No'. Then a Credit Lyonnais one-'No' "What do you take?" 'Belgian credit cards and cash!' This in a town which was a stone's throw from Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands..

Mum's brother copped his ticket home near where that photo was meant to be; he lit a cigarette, and a sniper took a bead on him. He came to in a cellar, surrounded by people speaking German, and thought his number was up- he eventually realised they were Belgian.

• RMweb Gold

I hope they have liberalised their acceptance of credit cards. Just prior to the Channel Tunnel opening, we had a 'team-building' exercise at Malmedy Carnival. Having filled a trolley with beer and chocolate, we arrived at the till and presented a UK credit card. 'No'. Then a Credit Lyonnais one-'No' "What do you take?" 'Belgian credit cards and cash!' This in a town which was a stone's throw from Germany, Luxembourg and the Netherlands..

Mum's brother copped his ticket home near where that photo was meant to be; he lit a cigarette, and a sniper took a bead on him. He came to in a cellar, surrounded by people speaking German, and thought his number was up- he eventually realised they were Belgian.

Maastricht open air market used to be rather fun and better than that.  The stallholders only took cash of course but didn't mind (this is back a  good while) if it was Belgian francs, Dutch guilder, or German marks.

• RMweb Premium

Always nice to come across colour photos and here is this thread's favourite pannier, 3796 at Kingsbridge.

attachicon.gif3796.jpg

Speak for yourself, my favourite is 4666 (the devil's pannier) at Bodmin North.

4mm version has left Spam Towers only to be replaced shortly by a 7mm one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob have you found anyone who does 5076 Drysllwyn Castle etched plates ? . :scratchhead:

247 do the 5051 version.

http://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_names.html

Fox do 5076 at a price. :O 

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/5076-gladiator-65595

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

247 have been a waste of space for years and the new chap has not taken to adding to the existing range except to remove the plinth on certain one's, Fox can swivel at that price  :mad:  they are p!ss takers I would sooner rename it.

I'll give Jim a call at Modelmasters to see if he will do them I'll let you know how I get on. 

(Cant get hold of him Email sent)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

247 have been a waste of space for years and the new chap has not taken to adding to the existing range except to remove the plinth on certain one's, Fox can swivel at that price  :mad:  they are p!ss takers I would sooner rename it.

I'll give Jim a call at Modelmasters to see if he will do them I'll let you know how I get on. 

(Cant get hold of him Email sent)

Elsewhere on RMweb it was said a couple of days ago he is unwell. 

• RMweb Gold

Elsewhere on RMweb it was said a couple of days ago he is unwell. 

Buqqer it, thanks for letting me know Ian  :good:, to be honest there's no rush there is so much in the to do box it can wait.

I've had the large Prairies out on the layout for a running session they have not been out of their storage tray for 2 years or more

1 out of 5 worked OK one dropped a traction tyre another had the rim come off a pony truck wheel the other 2 protested but after cleaning they ran OK  :senile:

we really need some one to bring out a new model as long as it's not "Mr Recess"  :crazy: doing it I'd be a happy bunny.

• RMweb Gold

Have the Finching Sisters been seen in Mallaig?

post-7584-0-41257300-1505427761_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Robin on the Model Rail article! Looking forwards to reading it...

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1