A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin, those cottages are rather nice. As Mallard says you have really brought them to life. 

CoT looks like a brass model in those shots, it really is a nice model. Figures for the cab are an issue for GWR modellers (ie r/h drive) of the pregrouping period. I tend to modify mine, but I wish there was a really good GWR footplate crew in 4mm for that period.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin, those cottages are rather nice. As Mallard says you have really brought them to life. 

CoT looks like a brass model in those shots, it really is a nice model. Figures for the cab are an issue for GWR modellers (ie r/h drive) of the pregrouping period. I tend to modify mine, but I wish there was a really good GWR footplate crew in 4mm for that period.  

Thanks Mikkel.It might be appropriate to mention your old blog entry here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/75/entry-2890-footplate-crew/ on the subject.I suppose a crew would be better than none and I agree on a decent footplate crew for that period but I model post war anyway.Falcon do a GWR footplate crew for Hornby models[Thats what the label says].

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After all the celebrity loco action at the weekend its back to the bread and butter for a Monday.Here's small prairie 4540 with a cattle van train followed later on a b set turn on the down mainline for a change.

Rob,

I was trying to look at the lovely buildings in and around the station area but some big green, brown and cream lumps keep getting in the way.  

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

I was trying to look at the lovely buildings in and around the station area but some big green, brown and cream lumps keep getting in the way.  

Now now, play nicely please, or we'll have to invoke the LMS!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Yes its busier than the real station ever was. ;) Nice shade of green though Spams. :P

Now now, play nicely please, or we'll have to invoke the LMS!!

No need for swearing CK.

• Like 2

Yes I know but what period crew shall I get ?...

Surely it needs a post-1985 crew, given that the model is a representation of that repaint and bears only a superficial resemblance to any earlier form? It may be a long way post-war, but...

Nick

• Like 4

Guest jonte

Really enjoyed the photos, Rob.

Btw: random comment, perhaps, but may I congratulate you on the high standard of your permanent way?

Beautifully layed, ballasted and weathered. 

Makes me wonder why I ever complained about the Peco range.

Jonte.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Beautifully layed, ballasted and weathered. 

Jonte.

Thanks Jonte.I think as much as anything its the use of 2mm size ballast on 4mm/00 track.The size makes a big difference in my opinion.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonte.I think as much as anything its the use of 2mm size ballast on 4mm/00 track.The size makes a big difference in my opinion.

I wanted to click 'Like' on this but unfortunately an error has occurred, and I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day.

I am suitably chastised, but I would echo the compliments regarding this layout, it's all very impressive.

No need for swearing CK.

Fairburn!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Like quite a few modellers I get sucked into purchases that don't fit my layout period and you've seen some already.When Hornby released their delightful Hawksworth coaches I had to succumb.I didn't want the brief in traffic choc/cream versions and plumped for the post 56 maroon livery type.I've assembled a parcels train using the full brakes along with a Mk1 guv and a Lima siphon,complete with a detailed underframe using a 50' Comet underframe.

Here we see the rake is being pulled by 92220 but I might get a BR liveried Hall sometime as it would be more appropriate.The new Hornby one might fit the bill.

The siphon was discussed here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41277-those-0ld-lima-siphons/

post-126-0-24692000-1366909238_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02391400-1366909272_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-64193100-1366909292_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-32743700-1366909305_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Wish I'd heard spaceships climbing Dainton, Rattery or Hemerdon; especially single chimney jobs but I think we only got double jobs down Plymuff. I can remember my first encounter with a 9F when I bunked Laira sometime in 1959/60 - can't really remember the date. They were so huge compared to the usual residents; really imposing, especially in the roundhouse. The set we had including 92221 didn't stay long though.

Anyhow, great pics Rob.

Quack

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Back to more familiar stock from my G W R stable as a very work stained 2-6-0 Mogul 9319 trundles along with some vans.This is the ex Mainline now Bachmann model that I decreased the distance between tender and loco by inserting a knob of plasticard on the peg.It works. :mosking: The trees here are from International models [scale Trees] and are the trunks only.You have to add the foliage and here I used Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage in different colours.

post-126-0-30979700-1366993195_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52093800-1366993211_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-47411900-1366993243_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31772200-1366993490_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

Really like the shots of 9319-again another favourite design. The Collett cab really suited them.  Off the top of my head I can't remember how many were built in this guise

Also, didn't they have a lower route availablity than the earlier Churchward examples along with those fitted with a modified front bogie?  I'm on a sticky wicket here and testing my GWR knowledge! ;)

Out of interest the first wagon in the the PO wagon coal train-the Renwick Wilton wagon is that a RTR number or a Cambrian/POW Sides kit? A nice touch.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, always nice to see a mogul in action :-)

Been wanting to repaint mine for years, as the GWR on the tender isn't one of Bachmann's best efforts, I think (letters too large, wouldn't you say?). It would make a good detailing project too, come to think of it. 

Looks good with the P.O.s here though. More long freight trains please  :locomotive:

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

Really like the shots of 9319-again another favourite design. The Collett cab really suited them.  Off the top of my head I can't remember how many were built in this guise

Also, didn't they have a lower route availablity than the earlier Churchward examples along with those fitted with a modified front bogie?  I'm on a sticky wicket here and testing my GWR knowledge! ;)

Cheers,

Mark

I'm in the opposing camp on this one..........and think the Collett cab made them look rather squat and ungainly. The elegance of the original design is somewhat lost, despite the RCTS referring to them as the 'De-luxe edition Moguls'!

Twenty were built to Lot No.276 in 1932, numbered 9300-19. They were renumbered 7322-41 between Oct 1956 and May 1959. I'm pretty sure their RA was lower (Red as opposed to Blue) due to the extra weight, although this may have altered in later life.

All that said, great photo's as always Rob!

Regards,

Andy.

Edited by Andy M
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes, always nice to see a mogul in action :-)

Been wanting to repaint mine for years, as the GWR on the tender isn't one of Bachmann's best efforts, I think (letters too large, wouldn't you say?). It would make a good detailing project too, come to think of it. 

:locomotive:

I actually think it looks ok and its a long in the tooth model now.Maybe Bachmann will upgrade it one day.

Out of interest the first wagon in the the PO wagon coal train-the Renwick Wilton wagon is that a RTR number or a Cambrian/POW Sides kit? A nice touch.

Cheers,

Mark

I think its a limited edition Bachmann wagon produced by Warley MRC I weathered and put into service.Still got the box and certificate. :no: I have a few wagons of the Renwick Wilson name.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting you say that Mikkel. When I was detailing two Bachmann Manors one came with a roundel on the tender. I replaced it with a Fox GWR decal. There was a difference in size between the Fox and the Bachmann script resulting in me re-doing the other one too. 

I'm in the opposing camp on this one..........and think the Collett cab made them look rather squat and ungainly.

Twenty were built to Lot No.276 in 1932, numbered 9300-19. They were renumbered 7322-41 between Oct 1956 and May 1959. I'm pretty sure their RA was lower (Red as opposed to Blue) due to the extra weight, although this may have altered in later life.

Thought only 20 were built-Thanks for clarifying Andy. 

I actually think it looks ok and its a long in the tooth model now.Maybe Bachmann will upgrade it one day.

I think its a limited edition Bachmann wagon produced by Warley MRC I weathered and put into service.Still got the box and certificate. :no: I have a few wagons of the Renwick Wilson name.

The Bachmann Moguls aren't a bad looking model that as Mikkel says would benefit from a bit of detailing. To me, like the Manor-the chimney is one of the weaker points though. I agree as well Robin that hopefully Bachmann will breath new life into both of these models some day.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those Renwick Wilton wagons on ebay.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few more shots of 9319 now on a small empty coal wagon train on both an up and down service. :no:

A special mention here and a thanks to Mikkel :good: for helping me do the station signs.A few years back now and being a luddite with Microsoft word I had struggled to get the letters the right size.I was using the correct GWR font available from the e- list as a download.Mikkel helped me out and I finally printed the version you see here on boards made up with rail supports.I've finally taken a photo thats in focus to shew them off properly !

'Spoiler alert ' Those with a nervous disposition please don't look at my next post as it will contain items you wouldn't expect to see on a GWR layout.A swearing box might be needed for some. :bye:

post-126-0-80641900-1367054579_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74995800-1367054591_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-52219700-1367054603_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-76497300-1367054616_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-27968700-1367054628_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Rob, last photo has a tender wheel off... I hope the re-railing crew will be along shortly (after finishing their pasties)

:no2: Blimey I missed that.Good job I'm in a good mood,I must be to show this.Anyway its apt its 2manyspams is on the scene as what follows might meet with his approval. ;) Hornby van c's with Dapol fruit vans all weathered and extra detail added with a renumber or two as well.I'm not biased so here's some Southern stock.....

post-126-0-58929800-1367060195_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-36127400-1367060207_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75431100-1367060243_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-72671500-1367060257_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-54533500-1367060268_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

The mention of the overscale GWR emblems on 9319 made me take this photo of my 6829 'Burmington Grange' for comparison.This was re-lettered using Fox transfers and looks better for it.

post-126-0-02239200-1367062313_thumb.jpg

• Like 8