A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

...................................! Could not possibly comment....it is Reading for #### sake, it is inevitable.

C. Rabs.

Sadly I end up working in the Hillingdon, Slough, Maidenhead and Reading area a fair amount at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.hattons.co.uk/231181/Oxford_Rail_OR76TOA002_GWR_diagram_AA3_6_wheel_Toad_brake_van_in_GWR_grey_Bridport_/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks to a heads up from Neal Ball, Hattons are doing these at £12.50 a pop which is quite incredible in 2017.

So incredible I seriously wonder what one might actually get for £12.50

• RMweb Gold

http://www.hattons.co.uk/231181/Oxford_Rail_OR76TOA002_GWR_diagram_AA3_6_wheel_Toad_brake_van_in_GWR_grey_Bridport_/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks to a heads up from Neal Ball, Hattons are doing these at £12.50 a pop which is quite incredible in 2017.

My understanding was that these were for heavy mineral trains. So why one at Bridport?

• RMweb Gold

So incredible I seriously wonder what one might actually get for £12.50

According to their advert in this month's Railway Modeller, Heljan are saying their 1361/6 class will be available by the end of 2016.

• RMweb Gold

My understanding was that these were for heavy mineral trains. So why one at Bridport?

I suspect the Bridport branch got any old vans which were redundant elsewhere and it did have some gradients of course but most likely simply a surplus van that was in too good a condition to break up.  According to the list on the GW site Bridport had an AA3 from 1920 to 1938 then an AA21 in 1951 which indicates there was probably at least one other van in the gap between those years and judging by the photo of the Bridport AA1 that is probably about the time it was there.

Judging by the known listed allocations I would think an AA1 is a rather odd choice to partner a Dean Goods for most periods as they were mostly displaced from the really heavy trains by such engines as the Aberdares, the 28XX and the various tank engines before WWI so presumably Oxford have gone for it as 'novelty' rather than a more logical choice.  Also although there are some preserved AA3s there are no preserved AA1s (no doubt they all went too early and were in any case not suitable/too expensive for conversion to other roles) which means the 'research' (or Oxford's version of that process) can be done more cheaply by simply using drawings and photos rather than actually going and taking details off the real things although they could no doubt take some detail off an AA3.

Judging by some of their efforts to date it is perhaps just as well that they're doing the 6 wheeler rather than queering the pitch for someone else doing a 4 wheeler to modern standards.

• RMweb Gold

'You don't get this motive power on ANTB '

GOOD !!!!!  :wild:

According to their advert in this month's Railway Modeller, Heljan are saying their 1361/6 class will be available by the end of 2016.

Already got one albeit in white metal.  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

Prefer this one myself. And I already have made the breakvan. When is someone going make something I actually need? :no:

The body of the 6 wheel brake van is standard with the 4 wheel version (as per the old K's van) so Oxford could be thinking ahead.

post-9992-0-68150200-1475322576_thumb.jpg

Do like the signals. You have woken me up to finish the missing signals on my line.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mr Stationmaster sir, there's occasionally a GWR Toad photographed in the Wenford / Wadebridge area in the early 60s. Looks like one if the newer long 4w types. Are there any likely candidates from your allocation lists or could it be one of many?

• RMweb Gold

Mr Stationmaster sir, there's occasionally a GWR Toad photographed in the Wenford / Wadebridge area in the early 60s. Looks like one if the newer long 4w types. Are there any likely candidates from your allocation lists or could it be one of many?

AA23 running number 35392, at date 1958 and branded 'To work between Bodmin Rd. & Boscarne Junc." 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

AA23 running number 35392, at date 1958 and branded 'To work between Bodmin Rd. & Boscarne Junc."

Ask Sierd nicely and he'll do you some transfers for it.

• RMweb Premium

Ask Sierd nicely and he'll do you some transfers for it.

Sierd....

Can I ask you really nicely please?

Just found that Hornby do the exact number and branding in 4mm:

post-6675-0-13529800-1475333949.jpg

(PS I'm working in 7mm / O Gauge)

• Like 2