A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

No thanks, it makes me f**t.

Rather ironic, one of my birthday cards arrived whilst I was away in Kernow over the weekend and this is seems to verify a similar situation mate

post-20303-0-73963900-1475597327.jpeg

Yours

O.L.Der-Phart

Hi,

looks good, if you look carefully you can see the sky throught the finials. The Tigley starter is on its way. It may take a little extra time for the next one as the bracket is not suitable for building using an MSE etch, so probably a scratchbuild unless I can find a suitable etch.

I' ve pretty well reached the limit of my patience with the current web site hosting outfit of my website so there will be changes.

Edited by Stephen Freeman

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

looks good, if you look carefully you can see the sky throught the finials. The Tigley starter is on its way. It may take a little extra time for the next one as the bracket is not suitable for building using an MSE etch, so probably a scratchbuild unless I can find a suitable etch.

I' ve pretty well reached the limit of my patience with the current web site hosting outfit of my website so there will be changes.

Have you checked to see what David Geen does? I am unable to access his site at the moment.

Have you checked to see what David Geen does? I am unable to access his site at the moment.

G.W.R. Signal Kits

GW/500 - 4ft and 5ft Signal arms     £  8.50GW/501 - 2ft, 3ft and 4ff Signal Arms £  8.50GW/502 - Signal Arm and Spectacle Back Plates £  3.50
GW/503 - 6ft Right Hand Bracket and         Centre Balance Bracket  £  5.00GW/504 - 6ft Left Hand Bracket and          Centre Balance Bracket  £  5.00
GW/505 - Double Bracket               £  5.00
GW/506 - 19 inch and 24 inch Top Stages£  3.50
GW/507 - Signal Cranks and Levers  £  4.50
GW/608—Signal Lamp Bracket and Guides £  3.00
GW/509 - Signal Ladder  £  5.00
GW/510 - Signal Ladder Jig £  4.00
GW/520 - Signal Post white metal£  2.50
      - Signal Post white metal  with hole £  4.00 
GW/521 - Signal Post for Brackets with hole  £  4.00
GW/522 - Signal Lamps £  0.50
GW/523 - Finials  £   NYA 

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

Lovely shots Rob. That signal really adds something to the departure.

Right, let's see if this gets  Mr Freeman excited!

attachicon.gifpost-1457-0-03965300-1427970268.jpg

Steady now.........

Phil

Very nice but are we sure that it was actually on the platform ramp and not at the end?  I think it was difficult to tell from photos but it's 9 years or so since I did anything on Seaton Junction for the late Dick Flower and whilst I should have some prototype photos/info somewhere I'm not sure. Equally I'm not sure now whether the tall post by MSE is of the correct height but don't think you'd notice as it can't be much wrong heightwise if it is. The MSE brackets of course need a bit of gilding to bring into the correct representation as shown.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear Mr W. Bassett,

Can you please give me the relevant information about that bus on the bridge in you picture? I have been searching for a picture to prove there was once this actual situation in August 1961 but without any success.

Many thanks indeed for your support (I shall wear it during the relevant season) and the interesting, technical solution to the signal height problem.

Yours sincerely,

A. B. Obby

• RMweb Premium

Lovely shots Rob. That signal really adds something to the departure.

Right, let's see if this gets  Mr Freeman excited!

attachicon.gifpost-1457-0-03965300-1427970268.jpg

Steady now.........

Phil

Now I must credit this picture to tbg. It is one wot he built a few years back and nowt to do with me (but you knew that).

It actually appears on another thread somewhere between Ms Agutter and other cuddly information about Milk Churns.

Ar$e 

Ah yes that's better, now I remember. The brackets are pretty much a scratchbuilt affair, now I seem to remember, though if you want a real Seaton challenge have a look at signal 7/4!

Unfortunately I don't have access to the photos of prototypes as everything Dick sent by email went with the last Hard Drive Failure. May have something on a very old drive that I still have - nope not unless I come across a hard copy.

• RMweb Premium

have a look at signal 7/4!

Ah the lovely Down Home (West). (Is that what it would be called) Nice 'bracket' on that isn't it?

I tried to get pics of all the signals in the Station area but that has only been partially successul.

This helps I think?

post-2326-0-40779800-1475673118.jpg

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Yes and No, I have a list but he only does square post related items, this will be a tubular one.

Although I am no expert on round post signals, I would assume that the brackets would be pretty much the same, only the way they attach to the post being different due to the difference in the cross section.

• RMweb Gold

Although I am no expert on round post signals, I would assume that the brackets would be pretty much the same, only the way they attach to the post being different due to the difference in the cross section.

Completely different design. the initial type of bracket for tubular steel signals bore some resemblance to the design for timber posts in that it had curved bottom rails following a curve broadly similar to the top part of loading gauge.  However the second design, and by a considerable margin the most common kept the 'L' angle strip forming the top and bottom rails (of what had thus become a more typical braced girder form) parallel to each other making the bottom rails now parallel with the landing.

The first pic below shows the most common size of bracket used on timber posts while the second shows a typical final design arrangement for tubular steel posts

post-6859-0-75695700-1475673508.jpg

post-6859-0-79151800-1475673589_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ah the lovely Down Home (West). (Is that what it would be called) Nice 'bracket' on that isn't it?

I tried to get pics of all the signals in the Station area but that has only been partially successul.

This helps I think?

attachicon.gif32_british_rail_seat_177351.jpg

Phil

Not absolutely sure how Southern nomenclature worked but the one for the platform loop would probably be  Advance Starting while the one for the through line would be the Starting Signal

• RMweb Premium

Not absolutely sure how Southern nomenclature worked but the one for the platform loop would probably be  Advance Starting while the one for the through line would be the Starting Signal

Thanks Mike. I know very little about this sort of thing so that is very helpful.

Phil

This helps I think?

attachicon.gif32_british_rail_seat_177351.jpg

Phil

Hi,

I think Dick managed to find a better photo than that, I may still have a hard copy somewhere but where is the question. Anyway this is what I built from it. Digital Photography has come on a lot since then though there may be a higher resolution one on the sd card if it didn't get deleted. I have a better camera now...Note that it's LQ (specified by Dick - I think confirmed by the photo he sent me) - must have been altered at a later date to UQ. post-6948-0-22819900-1475674370.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I think Dick managed to find a better photo than that, I may still have a hard copy somewhere but where is the question. Anyway this is what I built from it. Digital Photography has come on a lot since then though there may be a higher resolution one on the sd card if it didn't get deleted. I have a better camera now...Note that it's LQ (specified by Dick - I think confirmed by the photo he sent me) - must have been altered at a later date to UQ. attachicon.gifsignal7and4.jpg

That's very nice indeed. I think the LQs came in about 1963 but can't be certain. However it could have been LQ until about 1960/3 ish and then changed to UQ? I do have some info but this is not the right platform to discuss signals not connected with Brent.

Much appeciated though are the  comments about signals generally.

Phil