SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Yup.  Mum was Manx too, so no work permit issues.  Plenty trains and bikes here!

A sunny day in our garden....

attachicon.gifP1020201 (Large).JPG

You clearly like your Hondas. Would they be a couple of CL 250 S there? Not to mention what appears to be an early XL250 ( single port?)..........

Rob

• RMweb Premium

You clearly like your Hondas. Would they be a couple of CL 250 S there? Not to mention what appears to be an early XL250 ( single port?)..........

Rob

Yes Rob - well spotted, rare bikes.  We have a 'spares' bike too.  The CL's are in an article in the May 'Real Classic' if you read that.  The XL is an XL250K3, with a euro spec K4 tank - they were red here (and that one was once!).  The far one is modern, CRF250M motard, and there's a BMW 800 monolever somewhere too.  I used to run the VJMC TT meetings here, but fell out with the people that run the club.  I'm in the other lot now.

We used to have 9 bikes, we've cut back......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw "sir" today at the Donny show. He was sat almost opposite a big terminus station form up north with a  fruit in its name, and with a very complicated and fancy fiddle-about yard. I asked him had he seen anything move and even with his sore throat he got very excited to show me that something was moving on said layout.  :yahoo:  There was more action on Sidmouth most the day. 

I was there trying to teach the masses all about muddling EMUs. Learned I don't know it all, but did anyone else know that the LMR class 304s had both batteries on the left side and the charger on the right, where all the ER classes 302, 305, 308 and 309/1 had a battery each side and the charger on the left in front of the battery on the Driving Trailer Seconds. The 309/2 and 309/3 had the same arrangement on the Driving Trailer Composite. :read:

Some very nice layouts, and my two favorites were both n gauge.  One was of Shirebrook, extremely well modeled. The other was a Minories type layout set in the Sheffield area, called Hallam Town. I did thank he guys who built it for finishing off Sheffield Exchange Mk1 for me but they made it the wrong scale. :locomotive: :locomotive:

So if you go tomorrow and "Sir" grunts to you from behind his pile of pacifics, he hasn't learned to talk in pure Essex, despite my bestest efforts,  but has a sore throat.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Here's a photo of Re6/6 and bgman when we all had lunch at 72A today.

attachicon.gif20180210_134034.jpg

I have had reassurance that public will be safe when the men in the white coats return them back to their institution. 

Matron is very happy that Captain K has brightened up their normal miserable dull day by taking them out to lunch. But he should have returned them straight away. 

• RMweb Premium

I saw "sir" today at the Donny show. He was sat almost opposite a big terminus station form up north with a  fruit in its name, and with a very complicated and fancy fiddle-about yard. I asked him had he seen anything move and even with his sore throat he got very excited to show me that something was moving on said layout.  :yahoo:  There was more action on Sidmouth most the day. 

I was there trying to teach the masses all about muddling EMUs. Learned I don't know it all, but did anyone else know that the LMR class 304s had both batteries on the left side and the charger on the right, where all the ER classes 302, 305, 308 and 309/1 had a battery each side and the charger on the left in front of the battery on the Driving Trailer Seconds. The 309/2 and 309/3 had the same arrangement on the Driving Trailer Composite. :read:

Some very nice layouts, and my two favorites were both n gauge.  One was of Shirebrook, extremely well modeled. The other was a Minories type layout set in the Sheffield area, called Hallam Town. I did thank he guys who built it for finishing off Sheffield Exchange Mk1 for me but they made it the wrong scale. :locomotive: :locomotive:

So if you go tomorrow and "Sir" grunts to you from behind his pile of pacifics, he hasn't learned to talk in pure Essex, despite my bestest efforts,  but has a sore throat.

I've yet to be convinced that big urban terminus, with or without fruit in their name, work well as exhibition layouts. Yes lots of things to do to keep the operators busy but a bit slow for those watching?

Has Sidmouth sorted out its running yet? Beautiful layout but, having seen it 4 times now, it does seem to have problems keeping trains on the rails and with a big fingery poker. Hope they have sorted it as it would be great to watch.

I have had reassurance that public will be safe when the men in the white coats return them back to their institution. 

Matron is very happy that Captain K has brightened up their normal miserable dull day by taking them out to lunch. But he should have returned them straight away.

Every days a party day and them nice men are really kind to us .....

post-20303-0-80992800-1518302334_thumb.jpeg

L.Oony

• RMweb Premium

I've yet to be convinced that big urban terminus, with or without fruit in their name, work well as exhibition layouts. Yes lots of things to do to keep the operators busy but a bit slow for those watching?

Has Sidmouth sorted out its running yet? Beautiful layout but, having seen it 4 times now, it does seem to have problems keeping trains on the rails and with a big fingery poker. Hope they have sorted it as it would be great to watch.

They should do, operations need to be slick. Multiple unit trains work well in terminus layouts, one in one out. It also helps if the fiddling-about yard is kept simple, just a traverser. First train in off track one, move over one, track one is then ready for first train out and the train on track two is ready to zoom in, move over one space, track two is ready for next train....and so on. If having loco hauled trains ensure that your locos clear the platforms very quickly, the loco siding access is easy and there is always a loco ready to back on to the next arrival. The simpler you can keep the moves the more trains per time period can shuttle back and forth.

Didn't stay too long at Sidmouth, I have seen it in the past and wasn't expecting any different but I did see the same amount of trains running as on Lime Street...one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They should do, operations need to be slick. Multiple unit trains work well in terminus layouts, one in one out. It also helps if the fiddling-about yard is kept simple, just a traverser. First train in off track one, move over one, track one is then ready for first train out and the train on track two is ready to zoom in, move over one space, track two is ready for next train....and so on. If having loco hauled trains ensure that your locos clear the platforms very quickly, the loco siding access is easy and there is always a loco ready to back on to the next arrival. The simpler you can keep the moves the more trains per time period can shuttle back and forth.

Didn't stay too long at Sidmouth, I have seen it in the past and wasn't expecting any different but I did see the same amount of trains running as on Lime Street...one.

I think the intense operation you're describing Clive is an ideal but something that would be very difficult for a team of operators to maintain for any length of time in exhibition conditions unless the lead operator bangs a drum and has a whip to keep the rest of the team from slacking. ;-p

• RMweb Premium

I think the intense operation you're describing Clive is an ideal but something that would be very difficult for a team of operators to maintain for any length of time in exhibition conditions unless the lead operator bangs a drum and has a whip to keep the rest of the team from slacking. ;-p

Oh no 2 Many has mentioned a Whip, "is it my turn next? I hope so"..

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like OG, unless there are bookstalls nearby.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris

All good exhibition layouts have a team of well motivated and disciplined operators. Something that nearly always helps is a schedule/sequence to operate to.  I have found where layouts do not run to "What shall I run next" system run better as everyone knows what is happening next. Simple things like in my example above, train on track one is first train in, not "Charlie do you want a fright train next?". " Can I have a parcels?". "OK, I just need to take the Pullman off and put the parcels back on." 

Mind you the big terminus does operate to a system.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like OG, unless there are bookstalls nearby.

Yes, he can get easily distracted. There's always books to look for, trains in fiddles to be lined up, key tools to be tidied away and things to be stuck together with masking tape...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

I think the root cause is "All good exhibition layouts have a team of well motivated and disciplined operators."

In my experience it's very difficult these days to pull together sufficient operators for a large layout for a show. I think work had changed for a lot of folk and getting Friday off and not doing some work over the weekend can be quite problematic. I know myself that I now only do 1 or 2 shows a year whereas 15 years ago I did up to a dozen in a year.

So the choice is then not accepting the show invite or pulling in helpers to operate at the show. With the best will in the world these stunt stand-ins aren't going to be as proficient as those that regularly go out with a layout.

The fact that Lime Street had a timetable to operate to but, from your observations, ran little underlines the practicalities and difficulties of running an intense service on a complex terminus layout.

On a end to end or roundy roundy you can keep the trains moving very easily. Not a lot of communication or interface between operators is needed.

On a terminus layout, once the train had arrived there's not a lot of movement until there's a loco to take it out again. That needs a path for the new loco and for their train to exit. Lots of interactions between operators, but one mistake and the whole lot grinds to a halt.

I'd quite happily operate such a layout in private with others as the time taken to process trains has no importance. I'd certainly not like to operate the same layout in front of a paying public who expect constant movement and the timetable to work much faster than real time.

The real Lime Street would have had a huge staff of drivers, signalman, operations and managers. Each has their own job, each was paid to do that job day in, day out and became very proficient. Trying to run a realistic but speeded up timetable with just a handful of operators doing the job occasionally as a part-time hobby is going to be a big ask.

I seem to remember that the excellently modelled Bath Green Park had similar issues. Because it ran a faithful timetable requiring locos to go off to the shed to be serviced, stock to be remade and trains to have to wait for a path, operation was tediously slow to watch. I bet it was fascinating to operate in private but it got regularly slated for lack of trains running at shows.

All in all I don't believe a big complex terminal style station layout can deliver the intense, more frequent than reality, service that exhibition goers expect to see.

Would be easier with DMUs though, they just arrive and depart.... ;-p

• Like 3

Hi Clive

I think the root cause is "All good exhibition layouts have a team of well motivated and disciplined operators."

In my experience it's very difficult these days to pull together sufficient operators for a large layout for a show. I think work had changed for a lot of folk and getting Friday off and not doing some work over the weekend can be quite problematic. I know myself that I now only do 1 or 2 shows a year whereas 15 years ago I did up to a dozen in a year.

So the choice is then not accepting the show invite or pulling in helpers to operate at the show. With the best will in the world these stunt stand-ins aren't going to be as proficient as those that regularly go out with a layout.

The fact that Lime Street had a timetable to operate to but, from your observations, ran little underlines the practicalities and difficulties of running an intense service on a complex terminus layout.

On a end to end or roundy roundy you can keep the trains moving very easily. Not a lot of communication or interface between operators is needed.

On a terminus layout, once the train had arrived there's not a lot of movement until there's a loco to take it out again. That needs a path for the new loco and for their train to exit. Lots of interactions between operators, but one mistake and the whole lot grinds to a halt.

I'd quite happily operate such a layout in private with others as the time taken to process trains has no importance. I'd certainly not like to operate the same layout in front of a paying public who expect constant movement and the timetable to work much faster than real time.

The real Lime Street would have had a huge staff of drivers, signalman, operations and managers. Each has their own job, each was paid to do that job day in, day out and became very proficient. Trying to run a realistic but speeded up timetable with just a handful of operators doing the job occasionally as a part-time hobby is going to be a big ask.

I seem to remember that the excellently modelled Bath Green Park had similar issues. Because it ran a faithful timetable requiring locos to go off to the shed to be serviced, stock to be remade and trains to have to wait for a path, operation was tediously slow to watch. I bet it was fascinating to operate in private but it got regularly slated for lack of trains running at shows.

All in all I don't believe a big complex terminal style station layout can deliver the intense, more frequent than reality, service that exhibition goers expect to see.

Would be easier with DMUs though, they just arrive and depart.... ;-p

Oddly enough, as I was reading this, I thought also of Bath Green Park. But for the opposite reason!

Having seen it "at home" as part of last years SWAG visit, I then saw it on a very hot day at the GCR show. Where it struck me

that it really came to life, with movements all over the layout, albeit at a suitably S&D laid back pace. It certainly kept my attention

without being falsely busy, although I couldn't daly too long, it was simply too hot to stand about.

Maybe it goes to show the fine line between busy enough, and too ponderous. But I'd give BGP a big thumbs up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I found it came off quite readily in da shower! And no, this was for an angiogram, where the surgeon wasn't sure whether access to the artery in the wrist would be practicable, and so the inner thigh was Plan B, and needed shaving all around, and plastering with yellow, just in case. In fact the wrist proved easy - and no fault found! But, yes, when yellow it does look like you have galloping knob-rot. 

Having had a successful angiogram and angioplasty via the groin I have to say that I didn't give a b#gger what colour I ended up afterwards - at long as it wasn't blue all over.

• RMweb Premium

Oddly enough, as I was reading this, I thought also of Bath Green Park. But for the opposite reason!

Having seen it "at home" as part of last years SWAG visit, I then saw it on a very hot day at the GCR show. Where it struck me

that it really came to life, with movements all over the layout, albeit at a suitably S&D laid back pace. It certainly kept my attention

without being falsely busy, although I couldn't daly too long, it was simply too hot to stand about.

Maybe it goes to show the fine line between busy enough, and too ponderous. But I'd give BGP a big thumbs up.

Sounds like it has taken many years to get to that stage. I loved BGP and always dreamed of making my own 'based on' version but whilst visually stunning, I found it very disappointing to watch when it first hit the exhibition scene. Haven't seen it out and about for years. Would like to if they have it sorted now. That said, even operating well, it's a completely different prospect to a tailchaser layout loved by the heaving masses. Chalk and cheese.

• RMweb Premium

"All good exhibition layouts have a team of well motivated and disciplined operators."

"Each has their own job"

Interesting thoughts Chris and I think that those two observations make the point well.

In the 1970s the Leeds Model Railway Society built a large terminus called Leeds Victoria. It later became part of a more complex layout but was originally fed by a multi-track traverser running on ball bearings (known as Charlie's balls). We could keep something moving almost all the time on the layout, whether it was arrivals and departures on the four running lines; movements to and from the loco yard; movements to and from the carriage sidings; or shunting in the goods yard. Nobody, be they operators or spectators, ever got bored with that layout.