SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I have seen both Lime Street and Green Park, I thought that LLS was better as visual part of the layout is more compact and thus you could see more of the operation going on, whilst with BGT it's such a long layout and the only place you can get to see it is at the country end, you don't get to see very much, except when a train arrives or departs. I think it would have benefited from some selective compression at various locations to reduce the overall length of the other layout.

"Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?".

At least we know the answer to that question now  .  .  .  .

Ironic that the Morrison's canteen must be on almost the same spot as the old 72A mess room.

More like Last of the Summer Wine I'd have said, and yes the position of said gricers was rather deliberate;)

Compo

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I saw "sir" today at the Donny show. He was sat almost opposite a big terminus station form up north with a  fruit in its name, and with a very complicated and fancy fiddle-about yard. I asked him had he seen anything move and even with his sore throat he got very excited to show me that something was moving on said layout.  :yahoo:  There was more action on Sidmouth most the day. 

I was there trying to teach the masses all about muddling EMUs. Learned I don't know it all, but did anyone else know that the LMR class 304s had both batteries on the left side and the charger on the right, where all the ER classes 302, 305, 308 and 309/1 had a battery each side and the charger on the left in front of the battery on the Driving Trailer Seconds. The 309/2 and 309/3 had the same arrangement on the Driving Trailer Composite. :read:

Some very nice layouts, and my two favorites were both n gauge.  One was of Shirebrook, extremely well modeled. The other was a Minories type layout set in the Sheffield area, called Hallam Town. I did thank he guys who built it for finishing off Sheffield Exchange Mk1 for me but they made it the wrong scale. :locomotive: :locomotive:

So if you go tomorrow and "Sir" grunts to you from behind his pile of pacifics, he hasn't learned to talk in pure Essex, despite my bestest efforts,  but has a sore throat.

Missed you....sorry Clive. Saw Sir and resisted talking for hours but did admire some of his very tidy loco kit builds. I also admired Sidsmouth and Shirebrook was excellent for a 2mm layout.

Only managed two hours this afternoon due to gammy hip. Only bought some flux and some Evostick but I did go and thank the Hornby persons for their doing the Maunsell Dining First and by jove, the new Nelson looks Superbio. I also thanked Kenow  Models for producing the Gate Set and confirmed that the third Bulleid Diesel should be here Q3 2018. Yea. 

Phaggedout

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've yet to be convinced that big urban terminus, with or without fruit in their name, work well as exhibition layouts. Yes lots of things to do to keep the operators busy but a bit slow for those watching?

Has Sidmouth sorted out its running yet? Beautiful layout but, having seen it 4 times now, it does seem to have problems keeping trains on the rails and with a big fingery poker. Hope they have sorted it as it would be great to watch.

I did see some movement but mainly admired the scenery   ........  I wonder why?

Lime Steet is amazing but not a layout that I wanted to watch; just superb civil engineering in 4mm

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Did they throw you out for bunking or was the Foreman a friendly sort of chap? Any Arthurs on Shed?

P

The Foreperson was a lady, who eventually brought the lunches for bgman and Re6/6 very late, as I had already finished mine by the time theirs came!

I think the Lavatory Attendant might have been one Arthur Higgs, although I overheard him saying he always wanted to be a Bosun.

• RMweb Premium

Missed you....sorry Clive. Saw Sir and resisted talking for hours but did admire some of his very tidy loco kit builds. I also admired Sidsmouth and Shirebrook was excellent for a 2mm layout.

Only managed two hours this afternoon due to gammy hip. Only bought some flux and some Evostick but I did go and thank the Hornby persons for their doing the Maunsell Dining First and by jove, the new Nelson looks Superbio. I also thanked Kenow  Models for producing the Gate Set and confirmed that the third Bulleid Diesel should be here Q3 2018. Yea. 

Phaggedout

Hi Phil

I was booked to do the Sunday turn but on Friday afternoon I switched to Saturday so my mate wasn't on his own.

Next year, if your hip is gammy, I will shove you round in a wheelie chair. If anything like when my boys were little and they were in their pushchairs, no problem in seeing layouts, people soon move when walloped in the ankle. :sungum:

I only came home with some brass tube from Eileen's and a cold (courtesy of Sir).

• RMweb Premium

I did see some movement but mainly admired the scenery   ........  I wonder why?

Lime Steet is amazing but not a layout that I wanted to watch; just superb civil engineering in 4mm

Phil

Hi Phil

As a model Lime Street is fantastic, and the engineering that has gone into the electo-mancanical fuddle about yard is wonderful but that moves more than any of the trains. The guys who built it seem to have thought of everything. Behind the layout they have a coat rack with coat hangers built in the layout transport trolleys. So we cannot fault them about the construction. I would just like to see a bit more action.

• Like 1

Heads up for a small supplier: L cut. Co. Uk all lower case but I can't do that on this bl##dy phone. A

Here ya go mate

http://lcut.co.uk

I've used them for the basis of a 7mm siggy boxy and not bad for altering to suit. The main body of their models are laser cut card and I'd suggest if anyone wants to make one its probably best to seal it before painting.

I think many here have probably seen this before but I'll show you what I've done with one for an experiment.

post-20303-0-06515600-1518382194_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the horizontal hold but my phone is doing the bleedy same ! 

G

• Like 2

Here ya go mate

I've used them for the basis of a 7mm siggy boxy and not bad for altering to suit. The main body of their models are laser cut card and I'd suggest if anyone wants to make one its probably best to seal it before painting.

I think many here have probably seen this before but I'll show you what I've done with one for an experiment.

attachicon.gifIMG_3794.jpg

G

Looks a bit underscale to me, judging by the loading gauge!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here ya go mate

attachicon.gifIMG_3794.jpg

G

Oh good oh.

P

• RMweb Premium

Heads up for a small supplier: L cut. Co. Uk all lower case but I can't do that on this bl##dy phone. A

Apologies for that. 

Anyway, I found that they have just the right type of 4mm roof valance for the Down SOSJ Building. 

On their stand I was impressed by the inexpensive products. OK so the proof is in the finish, as Morrison's Dining Man has pointed out, but the stuff looked pretty good to me.

I don't normally go to the Donny show unless there is a particular layout or maybe a couple that I would like to see. However, No 1 son who is having a bit of a rough time at the moment asked if I would like to go. 

I find the show a bit overwhelmed with traders and I am not really in the need with a shopping list for 'direct' action purchasing at the moment. yes I could have weakened and bought a lot of books and some stock but I was only half awake anyway so that was a benefit.

I have to say that the finished Hornby Nelsons look really, really good.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

This is what I found and have purchased to see how it works:

post-2326-0-38419200-1518444333_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping it matches this valance

post-2326-0-25577200-1518444517.jpg

Have I mentioned how bloomin' brilliant the Hornby Nelsons looked?

There were some coaches in another Hornby Display Case but I stupidly neglected to check on what they were!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

I have to chip in re L Cut.

Jakub has been most helpful producing windows and doors which I used on Helstonish, for the station building and engine

shed. All done to the drawing I sent, based on Johns (St Enodoc) copies. Quite a united nations.

I am a satisfied customer, with a limited budget, so would recommend as a good first stop for bespoke requirements.

• Like 4