SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Try putting some 00 track on the garden / driveway with a re built Bulleid and a couple of Maunsells on it.

Climb on the house roof, and look down...

But don't jump, we don't want you to land on the Bullyeyed spam thingy and hurt it.

• RMweb Gold

So, if I get some 7mm stuff and place that far away will it look like 2mmFSFFS?

Sian Tist

Yes.

• RMweb Premium

Yes.

Ah that settles it then, I'm not getting any 7mm stuff despite everyone else falling for the evil lure of them dark products.

2mmFSFFS close up will look like something big, so that will do.

Getta Grip

• RMweb Premium

No evil dark products here, just good honest badger b*ggery bodgery. Firstly I decided that the brickwork on the side of the gable ended building didn't look right, as was too bright a red, so a replacement finish was overlaid. However this left a black line along the join with the northlight building, so a bit of plastic rod and square section were used to represent some cable conduit to disguise this.

Then I noticed that one of the corner joins on the main building was less than perfect, so Salmon & Ellens became 1930's eco-friendly as ducting was created from plastic tube and etched brass strip to recycle hot air from the ovens to heat the warehouse on the lower floor, hiding the offending join. A full compliment of drain pipes has also been installed on this building.

What I need to do next is create the extractor used to unload the woodchips used as pips in the companies raspberry jam. :O

Theo the Thread Hijacker

gallery_8865_4340_1121871.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_496040.jpg

Stop showing this damn fine modelling on this thread, it will cause distress.  :sungum:

Ar$£

• RMweb Premium

No evil dark products here, just good honest badger b*ggery bodgery. Firstly I decided that the brickwork on the side of the gable ended building didn't look right, as was too bright a red, so a replacement finish was overlaid. However this left a black line along the join with the northlight building, so a bit of plastic rod and square section were used to represent some cable conduit to disguise this.

Then I noticed that one of the corner joins on the main building was less than perfect, so Salmon & Ellens became 1930's eco-friendly as ducting was created from plastic tube and etched brass strip to recycle hot air from the ovens to heat the warehouse on the lower floor, hiding the offending join. A full compliment of drain pipes has also been installed on this building.

What I need to do next is create the extractor used to unload the woodchips used as pips in the companies raspberry jam. :O

Theo the Thread Hijacker

gallery_8865_4340_1121871.jpg

gallery_8865_4340_496040.jpg

Hi Vaughan

I did a quick check before Chris the Spamman gets on here, your OK the bricks line up on the corners.....see I read Sir's thread and know what Spam finds annoying.

And as His Duckness says stop it we all might start doing good modelling .......well some of the other might I never will.

As a side note, I built a building as a low relief effort then at a later date made into a full building, the front was one brick bond and the back another with the joins being half way down each side. No one ever mentioned it to me. So does it matter having the right bond? I think it does for the modellers own satisfaction but to everyone else? I know I never check the bond on another modellers buildings.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Vaughan

I did a quick check before Chris the Spamman gets on here, your OK the bricks line up on the corners.....see I read Sir's thread and know what Spam finds annoying.

And as His Duckness says stop it we all might start doing good modelling .......well some of the other might I never will.

As a side note, I built a building as a low relief effort then at a later date made into a full building, the front was one brick bond and the back another with the joins being half way down each side. No one ever mentioned it to me. So does it matter having the right bond? I think it does for the modellers own satisfaction but to everyone else? I know I never check the bond on another modellers buildings.

Don't worry I've already had a good look. The boy dun good.

Just thought I'd rebalance Sir's thread a little as it was getting a little obsessive on the bogie wheel front when there were (to other eyes) equally heinous(?) crimes being overlooked closer to home.

• RMweb Premium

His name is Bond, Brick Bond and his sister is Brook Bond who is an Engineer and lives in London; he lives in Bedford. They are Premium Bonds and made their money in glue (see what I did there?)

Anyway, stop pointing out all those ties and just get the muck mixed.

A. Fletton 

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry I've already had a good look. The boy dun good.

Just thought I'd rebalance Sir's thread a little as it was getting a little obsessive on the bogie wheel front when there were (to other eyes) equally heinous(?) crimes being overlooked closer to home.

I used to enjoy 'Sir's Thread' and I get on OK with TW, however I find that thread a little too deep for me as I am but a simple idiot.

P.Lonker

Thought pointing was what you did after the bricks were laid  :sungum:

Smart Ar$£

Anyway enough of the silliness, I must get back to watching pawn EBay

tie35.jpg

G'Day Folks

Well that tied it all together.

Fashion Sense.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Vaughan

As a side question to your side note Clive, was your building with the mismatched courses and types the subject of a "how to" type article in a mag which included close up photos? Did you take close up photos of the building and post them on a forum? Was the low relief building sat at the back of the layout away from any chance of being seen by the public and with no intention of drawing any attention to it?

If the latter then that partly explains why no comments were ever made (not that people really go around at shows pointing out brick coursing issues, it's a stock centric world after all). If the former then in my book more attention should be paid to getting it right and comment should be expected (after all somebody else doing a slapdash LNER pacific build in a mag using the wrong parts would have been crucified in Sir's thread).

My own personal belief is that all elements of a layout deserve equal attention. On Pencarrow I'm trying to get the loco builds, track detail, buildings and other scenics to about the same standard. Yes there will be compromises along the way but I'm enjoying learning new skills and researching new areas. I'm definitely not saying everyone should do the same, far from it, but does that mean I can't comment on an article published in a UK modelling magazine? Are there modellers elevated above others that you can only praise??

We all do things differently and this is how I've set out to build my trainset. I certainly don't go around shows scoring layouts purely on their attention to brick coursing detail. I do however enjoy seeing it done properly as part of the overall layout detail. A layout with superb scenics but rubbish stock is equally disappointing to me as the reverse situation. I find the layouts with everything in balance, including operation, the most rewarding to watch and view (again a personal preference).

The best thing about a forum is the sharing of knowledge. I've had huge help along the way so far from forum members. Lots of errors have been pointed out to me. Lots of new methods learnt. Lots of friends gained too. As long as the learning points are offered in a constructive manner and not with malice or belittlement I think they should be welcomed. As a balance point the commentee should also respect if the other party doesn't give two hoots. We're not all the same, and that's a good thing. It would be boring if every thread had a JA fetish!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Spams. Have you been to Therapy or maybe even a Management meeting, or is it just the reading you do on 'that' step'?

Philth (JA. for Prime Minister)

Pecarrow's got to have a Celebrity ....... post-2326-0-30310900-1523001113.jpg

Yo, Big Boy in de Hood.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Spams. Have you been to Therapy or maybe even a Mangement meeting, or is it just the reading you do on 'that' step'?

Pecarrow's got to have a Celebrity ....... attachicon.gifimages (7).jpg

Yo, Big Boy in de Hood.

This thread and ANtB are my therapy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As a side question to your side note Clive, was your building with the mismatched courses and types the subject of a "how to" type article in a mag which included close up photos? Did you take close up photos of the building and post them on a forum? Was the low relief building sat at the back of the layout away from any chance of being seen by the public and with no intention of drawing any attention to it?

If the latter then that partly explains why no comments were ever made (not that people really go around at shows pointing out brick coursing issues, it's a stock centric world after all). If the former then in my book more attention should be paid to getting it right and comment should be expected (after all somebody else doing a slapdash LNER pacific build in a mag using the wrong parts would have been crucified in Sir's thread).

My own personal belief is that all elements of a layout deserve equal attention. On Pencarrow I'm trying to get the loco builds, track detail, buildings and other scenics to about the same standard. Yes there will be compromises along the way but I'm enjoying learning new skills and researching new areas. I'm definitely not saying everyone should do the same, far from it, but does that mean I can't comment on an article published in a UK modelling magazine? Are there modellers elevated above others that you can only praise??

We all do things differently and this is how I've set out to build my trainset. I certainly don't go around shows scoring layouts purely on their attention to brick coursing detail. I do however enjoy seeing it done properly as part of the overall layout detail. A layout with superb scenics but rubbish stock is equally disappointing to me as the reverse situation. I find the layouts with everything in balance, including operation, the most rewarding to watch and view (again a personal preference).

The best thing about a forum is the sharing of knowledge. I've had huge help along the way so far from forum members. Lots of errors have been pointed out to me. Lots of new methods learnt. Lots of friends gained too. As long as the learning points are offered in a constructive manner and not with malice or belittlement I think they should be welcomed. As a balance point the commentee should also respect if the other party doesn't give two hoots. We're not all the same, and that's a good thing. It would be boring if every thread had a JA fetish!

The building in question became the depot canteen and offices. People did look at quite closely because of detail (well bits bunged together) inside. At one show this young lady was with her boy friend, definitely not a wife in tow by the way she was made up and the lowish top she was wearing. Anyhow her boyfriend said look in there, and as she bent over I done as he said. :yes: :swoon:

post-16423-0-72295800-1523002912_thumb.jpg

The inside before painting

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Spams. Have you been to Therapy or maybe even a Mangement meeting, or is it just the reading you do on 'that' step'?

Pecarrow's got to have a Celebrity ....... attachicon.gifimages (7).jpg

Yo, Big Boy in de Hood.

Sir would be upset with that photo. They have not fitted the front steps, the appropriate headcode isn't showing and the bogie wheels look a bit fat. Tut tut. ;-p

• RMweb Gold

Sir would be upset with that photo. They have not fitted the front steps, the appropriate headcode isn't showing and the bogie wheels look a bit fat. Tut tut. ;-p

As my mother used to say, some people were born in a bottle but never got past the neck.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

34027 is a performer. Travelled behind that from Brighton to Victoria one Christmas when they did three days of return trips with steam on that line. About 2003 or 4? Anyway, it was in the evening and we went through Gatwick Airport Station at full tilt with the whistle howling. The look of amazement from the gathered masses of what was probably mainly airport arrivals was brilliant. Loved it.

Phil

• Like 5