SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Couple of mile down the road and you would have found Philps in Hayle.............best pastie on the planet.

and for the discerning vegan there is Pengenna 

Some friends of mine shipped me up a whole box, as I missed them so much.

• RMweb Gold

O dear. How I miss these lovely items. Any GF pasties I have found have been naff.

Enough of this drooling, let's get down to some serious modelling.

Dear boys (and Sherry), have I heard somwhere that cheapo kitchen towel (paper) nicely dampened (oh er misses) can be good for creating 'layers' on certain types of scenery. I will probably use the old chooky wire method for huge lumps and bumps but I'm currently creating the Lay By Siding embankment wot is quite small in area.

Many thanks.

P

I use kitchen paper, or paper hand towels, over a lattice of card strips, with nothing but tester pot paint as 'glue'. This gives a reasonble hard shell, after a couple of layers, on which to add the static grass. A demonstration will be given soon on DM 4MS.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Basingstoke has blown up.  Anyone inform the residents?

I had noticed it is now just called Stoke and looks quite empty.

And Mr York seems to be considering 71000 future....I say take out his cylinders and put them in a Spanish Science museum.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had noticed it is now just called Stoke and looks quite empty.

And Mr York seems to be considering 71000 future....I say take out his cylinders and put them in a Spanish Science museum.

Not in the slightest surprised that 71000 went thermo-nuclear. Never met him in person but via his posts he came across as the sort that has to be right about everything and, if another view is presented, will readily take his toys home. Let's not forget though that Basingstoke was a BIG LAYOUT (87ft long by 24ft wide) as we often had to be reminded. It just seemed to become a bragging thread - how good he was vs how rubbish everyone else (especially the Spanish) were. 

• Like 1

Strange affair, it takes all sorts, but...

Not half as strange as being placed on the naughty step at home today when I asked for one of those Flockbox things that's in the latest MRJ, for my birthday - I think SWMBO mis-heard what I said  :nono:

Flock It

Edited by vaughan45
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It also amuses me how one poster insists that threads do not belong to anyone, including the OP.

To me, layout threads are exactly that, the property of the OP and everyone else who posts are ( usually) welcome guests.

John Flann was a strong exponent of this, politely requesting any thread-drift posts to be removed.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

It also amuses me how one poster insists that threads do not belong to anyone, including the OP.

To me, layout threads are exactly that, the property of the OP and everyone else who posts are ( usually) welcome guests.

John Flann was a strong exponent of this, politely requesting any thread-drift posts to be removed.

Hi Stu

it is a good thing John never visited this thread, but a lot of the waddling off topic comes from the OP.

I wonder if he, the OP, has been up the junction recently. I keep having short burst in the toy room. I can't believe I have moving trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not half as strange as being placed on the naughty step at home today when I asked for one of those Flockbox things that's in the latest MRJ, for my birthday - I think SWMBO miss-heard what I said  :nono:

Flock It

Flock Box is the thing in which NHY whatever his name is, keeps his layouts..........................Yo

P

• RMweb Premium

I think it's generally accepted that layout threads are led by the OP* and the vast majority of polite folk accept that. Strictly speaking though Martin W is correct, threads are not owned by the OP**. If you start a thread on a public forum it's not really completely the OP's to lord over and I don't think the OP can demand things from others, particularly if the others are behaving in accordance with the forum rules. If the OP wants absolute control then a blog is the appropriate medium - but I find the lack of interaction and audience participation on those a bit dull. On the whole though, folk on here are generally well behaved and respect the wishes of the OP and the direction he/she wants to take it. Obviously if somebody wished to not be reminded of their toilet modelling fetish we'd all respect that and instantly post appropriate messages and photos. There's also the old trick of a 'Topic Reset' so beloved by Damian on DitD. 

*although some do acquire a life of their own such as ANtB and SoSJ.

**would be interesting to get Andy's view

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stu

it is a good thing John never visited this thread, but a lot of the waddling off topic comes from the OP.

I wonder if he, the OP, has been up the junction recently. I keep having short burst in the toy room. I can't believe I have moving trains.

I flew up there several times today. I am experimenting with scenic techniques with bits of old stuff I've had lurking in boxes for centuries. I was going to take a couple of pics today but ICBA. I have rubber gloves as well and a respirator mask thingy as well as PPE. I just can't wait to exterminate my Teddy Bear and skin it so that I have a large supply of suitable material for fields in the summer season.

I dug out some kits woth I have boughted and discovered I had purchased a Wills Single Occupation type Bridge instead of a double track version. I might have to go to my own naughty nest for doing that.

Ref Basingstoke, I was in admiration of some of that for a very short while and then decided it was not a good place to be. I also believe that the late Mr Flann was a proper modeller and wouldn't have wanted anything to do with our nonsense, however I am an OO FSFFSSFO and thus enjoy all sorts of whitty banter. Anyone that wants serious discussion should avoid SOSJ at all costs. Plenty of really serious discussion available on Sir's thread, ANTB, Sheep's Wibble and a couple of other damn fine communities including MIB's, Clive's, Bob's, Red Leader's and 31A's. Light entertainment with a mildly serious tone is seen on Peterboro' Norf and anyone else that bothers to play here like Spams and CK and all those wot I have missed out.

Goodnight Johnboy.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Apparently Basingstoke has blown up.  Anyone inform the residents?

Not sure the residents will mind that much. One decent RMwebber states his residence is there and ‘not Westphalia’. Agree the OP defines arrogance and boasting. I turned off him very early, despite the layout theme being very ‘me’. Sad.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's generally accepted that layout threads are led by the OP* and the vast majority of polite folk accept that. Strictly speaking though Martin W is correct, threads are not owned by the OP**. If you start a thread on a public forum it's not really completely the OP's to lord over and I don't think the OP can demand things from others, particularly if the others are behaving in accordance with the forum rules. If the OP wants absolute control then a blog is the appropriate medium - but I find the lack of interaction and audience participation on those a bit dull. On the whole though, folk on here are generally well behaved and respect the wishes of the OP and the direction he/she wants to take it. Obviously if somebody wished to not be reminded of their toilet modelling fetish we'd all respect that and instantly post appropriate messages and photos. There's also the old trick of a 'Topic Reset' so beloved by Damian on DitD. 

*although some do acquire a life of their own such as ANtB and SoSJ.

**would be interesting to get Andy's view

SOSJ is probably the daftest thread on RMW but I don't give a sh##. I enjoy it and it helps my sanity.

Ar$£

• Like 4