Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

In one direction only. Didn't it fail on the return run?

Stewart

According to the Six Bells web site Greene King failed at March with a hot connecting rod big end.  Apparently it had "thrown a cork".

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of High Dyke and the High Dyke branch. Good to see the NER saloon, and the GNR saloon in the first photo. And in the second photo, there must have been a gale blowing for the insulators on the electric pylons can be seen to be at quite an angle.

In the last photo at Sewstern, there had clearly been some track lifting, and the line can be seen to be going up a gradient in the distance.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some photos this afternoon from a visit to the Bala Lake Railway in the summer of 1979.  It was another railway where you could (within reason) walk around the workshops as long as you didn't get in the way or do anything stupid.

Were we all more sensible then and did we just assume that safety was our own responsibility - and that there would be no redress if we got hurt because we did something silly?

post-5613-0-26359400-1476022670_thumb.jpg

Llanuwchllyn Hunslet Holy War 4th Aug 79 C4662

post-5613-0-87580200-1476022675_thumb.jpg

Llanuwchllyn Lister Alister and Ruston Hornsby 4wdm 4th Aug 79 C4664

post-5613-0-32390200-1476022664_thumb.jpg

Llanuwchllyn Hunslet Alice under repair 4th Aug 79 C4665

post-5613-0-45460100-1476022680_thumb.jpg

Llanuwchllyn Severn Lamb No 4 Merionydd 4th Aug 79 C4667

post-5613-0-94552700-1476022657_thumb.jpg

Bala Severn Lamb No 4 Merionydd 4th Aug 79 C4669

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some interesting photos of the Bala Lake Railway. It was good how you could walk around a workshop back in the late '70's. Today it is all H&S.

I am not sure if the diesel loco Number 4 Merionydd has survived all these years, hopefully it has, for it is a great example of a narrow gauge diesel loco.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J1786 - 8M42 was a Little Barford to Colwick coal train. I know the Brush 2 only had this as its previous working (from the rear headcode box), but it illustrates the types of trains still running in those days.

J1786.

Droolworthy on so many levels, a mineral wagon weathering masterclass and a cupboard door 21? tonner, what is it?, I'm off for a rub down with a copy of the Radio Times and a lie down in a darkened room.

Mike.

The cupboard-door 21 tonner is an ex-LNER loco coal wagon. There were several designs, of which the one shown is one of the later ones; earlier designs included one with a 'reversed' sole-bar (flat face of the channel to the outside) and sloping sides. When these wagons were redundant on loco coal workings, they gravitated to domestic and industrial flows, alongside their GWR and LMS equivalents- they were often seen on coal trains to Carmarthen Bay power station in the early-mid 1970s. As late as the early 1970s, I saw an example at Llanelli stabling point, recently repainted and bearing a black patch with 'LOCO' on it. Parkside do this type.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos of the line from Nottingham to Grantham. The first one is so nostalgic in so many ways. A 31 on a freight train, the telegraph poles, jointed rails and semaphore signals. All gone, or nearly gone today.

And that tint in the sky in the last photo is lovely, and I feel like making a painting of it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The cupboard-door 21 tonner is an ex-LNER loco coal wagon. There were several designs, of which the one shown is one of the later ones; earlier designs included one with a 'reversed' sole-bar (flat face of the channel to the outside) and sloping sides. When these wagons were redundant on loco coal workings, they gravitated to domestic and industrial flows, alongside their GWR and LMS equivalents- they were often seen on coal trains to Carmarthen Bay power station in the early-mid 1970s. As late as the early 1970s, I saw an example at Llanelli stabling point, recently repainted and bearing a black patch with 'LOCO' on it. Parkside do this type.

I didn't realise they lasted this long, thanks for the potted history.

Order off to Parkside for a couple then.

A bit of further research for livery and numbers.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

" It was another railway where you could (within reason) walk around the workshops as long as you didn't get in the way or do anything stupid."

It was the same when I visited the Bala Lake Railway around that time. The owner offered me the keys to the shed so i could look round.

Jonathan

• Like 1

I didn't realise they lasted this long, thanks for the potted history.

Order off to Parkside for a couple then.

A bit of further research for livery and numbers.

Mike.

There are a few pictures in the various David Larkin wagon books, incuding an example fitted with roller axleboxes. The Carmarthen Bay trains used to have quite a lot of pre-Nationalisation loco coal wagons, as unloading was via a tippler. This meant that end-door wagons could be dedicated to the shipping-coal traffic. 

• RMweb Gold

When I went to the BR signalling school (Webb House, Crewe), one of the other chaps on the absolute block part of the course was heading off to a job at Arnside. Looks like he would have had a much better view from his windows than I did from mine (Reading Panel).

Lovely pictures as always, Dave, especially the first one of the 40.

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Gold

C2759 shows a block train of Covhops on it way to Corkickle.

Didn't the heatwave begin around early June in 1976 or was it delayed up in Cumbria?

Thanks for the information on the Covhops.

The hot summer did start in June - I think it was a few days after these photos.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Arnside, and all taken on my Mum's birthday! I too love the one with the class 40. Very atmospheric. Most of the passenger services were in the hands of the class 108 DMU's as seen in the photo's.

The heat wave was not long after the photo's, for here in Yorkshire it started just after my mum's birthday.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Imagine the "hysteria about global warming" if we had the summer of 76 now?

..I wish...

Kev.

..Who is still enjoying every aspect of this excellent thread.

Thanks for the information on the Covhops.

The hot summer did start in June - I think it was a few days after these photos.

David

...and I remember going up to Cumbria camping the day the drought broke in late August - spent all night digging drainage trenches round the tent to stop the run-off from the torrential downpour flooding inside...

Excellent as ever Dave, always appreciate the Harrogate shots. Pity the narrow gauge gas works line was gone when you lived here, i bet youd have got some great shots round Bilton junction and the sidings.

Keep them coming

James