RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

Carlisle 142029 Newcastle to Carlisle 27th Oct 88 C11584

David

30 years later and they're still using the damn things!

Nice to see the electrics back in the day when they had a proper loco on front.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures from the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in 1983 and 1984 to start with this Sunday.

attachicon.gifGrosmont D821 July 83 C6063.jpg

Grosmont D821 July 83 C6063

attachicon.gifEsk valley Jubilee 5690 Leander Grosmont to Pickering July 83 C6089.jpg

Esk valley Jubilee 5690 Leander Grosmont to Pickering July 83 C6089

attachicon.gifMoorgates Jubilee 5690 Leander Grosmont to Pickering July 83 C6090.jpg

Moorgates Jubilee 5690 Leander Grosmont to Pickering July 83 C6090

attachicon.gifGrosmont LMS Class 5 5428 and LNER K1 62005 29th April 84 C6474.jpg

Grosmont LMS Class 5 5428 and LNER K1 62005 29th April 84 C6474

attachicon.gifDarnholm K1 62005 Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6477.jpg

Darnholm K1 62005 Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6477

attachicon.gifBeckholesJ72 69023 and Hunslet 92 Waggoner Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6484.jpg

BeckholesJ72 69023 and Hunslet 92 Waggoner Grosmont to Pickering 29th April 84 C6484

David

Are you sure that's 'Waggoner'?  It looks like it may be 'Ugly' 62 to me, which was on the NYMR at the time, and was owned by my best mate (and current boss) John Boyes then.  I have seen other photos of 62 double heading with 'Joem' at this time, but I don't recall 'Waggoner' being there then?

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure that's 'Waggoner'?  It looks like it may be 'Ugly' 62 to me, which was on the NYMR at the time, and was owned by my best mate (and current boss) John Boyes then.  I have seen other photos of 62 double heading with 'Joem' at this time, but I don't recall 'Waggoner' being there then?

You may well be right.  I have to admit that when I came to caption the photo I had to rely on my notes as I have no recollection of taking it.  I could well have written down the wrong loco.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Carlisle photos. There are some great ones of 86’s and 87’s, and those in Intercity livery will help the debate about the Oxford Mk3’s in Swallow livery. Also the last one of 142029 will soon be historical in all senses since I think it’s later this year they start to be withdrawn from service along with the 144’s. They all have to be gone by December, 31st, 2019.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

The other photos I have aren't mine so I can't post them.  Deffo 62 though!  He sold it to buy a quarter of something a LOT bigger!

Caption now amended.

Many thanks,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Morpeth photo’s. The first one is a classic photo of whichever split head code 37 it is. And the two class 40’s make a fine and nostalgic sight in the second photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.& S.R. photos. C2087 of Gravesend and the SS Stefan Batory Polish ship is a good composition, with much to see. The Waverley makes a glorious sight in the last photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos which are, like you said, north of York and south of Newcastle. The first one shows how the up and down slow lines at South Otterington, splay outwards to go under the outer arches of the road over bridge - indeed all such bridges north of York, on the ECML are the same. It also shows a class 40 on a typical freight train of that era, which, apart from the 40, were little changed from steam days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I missed yesterday's photos so my comments are a day too late.

I like J5724, nice bit of underframe detail on the Battery Driving Trailer Second (Lavatory). It is clear photos like this one I need for modelling my EMUs. I did think that the BDTS(L) on all AC EMUs had the same arrangement. I have a lovely drawing of a Class 304 (by Colin Craig in DEMU Update) and was going to use that for all of my EMUs. No the LMR units had two battery boxes on the left hand side and the charger on the right. All the ER units had a battery box on each side and the charger in front of the battery on the left.  I discovered this while marking and cutting out batteries for eight units while supposingly being an expert demonstrating at the Doncaster show two weeks ago. A clear shot of the next coach the Motor Brake Second is a rarity, this one is pretty good.

Now with C4225, those tension pulley mast look interesting ..........now how to put this without causing upset...... I wonder if anyone has taken a photo showing the pulley side of the mast?

• RMweb Premium

C5440 - that Toad is a bit off piste!

Phil

Obviously been transferred off the "Western" because of the blanking plate to stop the jessies elsewhere from getting the wind in their faces! :jester:

Nice mixed freight with the 40 on front

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I missed yesterday's photos so my comments are a day too late.

I like J5724, nice bit of underframe detail on the Battery Driving Trailer Second (Lavatory). It is clear photos like this one I need for modelling my EMUs. I did think that the BDTS(L) on all AC EMUs had the same arrangement. I have a lovely drawing of a Class 304 (by Colin Craig in DEMU Update) and was going to use that for all of my EMUs. No the LMR units had two battery boxes on the left hand side and the charger on the right. All the ER units had a battery box on each side and the charger in front of the battery on the left.  I discovered this while marking and cutting out batteries for eight units while supposingly being an expert demonstrating at the Doncaster show two weeks ago. A clear shot of the next coach the Motor Brake Second is a rarity, this one is pretty good.

Now with C4225, those tension pulley mast look interesting ..........now how to put this without causing upset...... I wonder if anyone has taken a photo showing the pulley side of the mast?

That particular mast was impossible to photograph from the other side - the tree was in the way and there was no path on the north side.

The only photos I have of LTS line masts showing the pulley side fairly clearly are these.

post-5613-0-29783300-1519329576_thumb.jpg

Mucking 302270 down pass via Tilbury June 75 C2168

post-5613-0-11837300-1519329584_thumb.jpg

Hadleigh Marsh Class 302 258 up pass Sept78 C4154

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

That particular mast was impossible to photograph from the other side - the tree was in the way and there was no path on the north side.

The only photos I have of LTS line masts showing the pulley side fairly clearly are these.

attachicon.gifec_Mucking_302270_down_pass_via_Tilbury_June_75_C2168.jpg

Mucking 302270 down pass via Tilbury June 75 C2168

attachicon.gifk_Hadleigh_Marsh_Class_302_258_up_pass_Sept78_C4154_.jpg

Hadleigh Marsh Class 302 258 up pass Sept78 C4154

David

Thank you David,

Very useful photos, C4154 has the added bonus of a good view of the undergubbins of the MBS.

C5440 - that Toad is a bit off piste!

Phil

I think there were 1 or 2? Toads based at Low Fell Engineers Sidings (near Tyne Yard). Not sure how they ended up in the NE?? I remember them appearing in a number of local Departmental/engineering trains along the ECML in my 'patch' just south of Durham, sometimes with a Gresley coach......

Edited by deltic17