Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

DSC_6502 Is that a UFO on the right of the photo?  Did they cause you any harm?

I love the idea of a typo alert which itself has a typo in Trawsfynydd. ;)

I did think about cloning it out but decided not to.

It's actually a balloon publicising a new store which opened in Cramlington this week.

David

Edited by DaveF

attachicon.gifChurch Lane level crossing Class 37 up ex pass June 75 C2082.jpg

Church Lane level crossing Class 37 up ex pass June 75 C2082

Now that photo has solved a mystery that's bugged me for years. I could never work out why some models of class 37s never looked right from the front, from Bachmann's early efforts to the RJH 7mm kit. Now I can finally see just how much the nose tapers - that front end is so much narrower than the width of the cab across the windows. No wonder all those fat nose versions looked wrong. Great telephoto shot - thank you!

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

David, Many thanks for the GER mainline at Margaretting! Lovely as usual....

Best, Pete.

Hi to go up to your real Lundun today, all has changed at Margaretting. New overhead, new overlap and the donkeys didn't appear to be in the field next to the crossing. :(

On the ECML again today, between Peterborough and Stoke Summit, back in the early 70s.

attachicon.gifLolham Class 47  down ex pass July 72 C1005.jpg

Lolham Class 47 down ex pass July 72 C1005

attachicon.gif

Edited  to amend a caption.

David

brilliant shot of loham. my fave so far. i used to work at helpston box so seeing this really did bring a smile to my face. how times have changed.

Interesting shots again.

In J563, with D9018, had there been an accident there? Was that the site of the DP2 crash? I spy what looks like a ripped off bogie and loads of broken sleepers?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting shots again.

In J563, with D9018, had there been an accident there? Was that the site of the DP2 crash? I spy what looks like a ripped off bogie and loads of broken sleepers?

I never did find out what had happenedin 1966 but I assume that there had been an "incident" with a freight train.  When (if) I get time I'll look back through Dad's photos to see when the sleepers etc appeared.

The DP2 accident was a bit further north a year later, in 1967.

After the DP2 accident the crossovers at Pilmoor were used to allow wrong line working around the blockage.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photo's  of Didcot, followed by some classics of Nottingham Midland. In particular, I cannot help noticing all the brake dust which has not been washed away from the sides of the class 114 DMU in photo' C4353 at Sneinton Junction in February, 1979.

All the best,

Market65.

I wonder how much lighter those lime wagons would have been when they reached their destination? No doubt the farmers would have been happy for the free dusting at all points south but I don't think the housewives would have been so pleased.

P

I wonder how much lighter those lime wagons would have been when they reached their destination? No doubt the farmers would have been happy for the free dusting at all points south but I don't think the housewives would have been so pleased.

P

It is not Lime but Mag Lime which is crushed magnesium limestone, which is also known as Dolofines (Dolomite Fines) which was sent by rail to BSC Ravenscraig and currently SSI Redcar!

Mark Saunders

It is not Lime but Mag Lime which is crushed magnesium limestone, which is also known as Dolofines (Dolomite Fines) which was sent by rail to BSC Ravenscraig and currently SSI Redcar!

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark.

I know exactly what it is. As I type this I look out of the window  to see the Magnesium Limestone Escarpment that produced the very lime in those wagons. It surrounds my house by about 270 degrees. Just so happens an ex colleague manages the works that probably refined the stuff you see been blown out of the wagons in Daves Phot. I say probably because the product could have come from a one of a number of sources within a few miles of each other.

The fact the wagons are railfreight uncovered gives the game away that the product is to be used for agricultural liming rather that flux in steelmaking. Just like basic slag was used for soil treatment. Only the steelmaking part is missed out..

It would be presumptuous of me to say were the fines came from exactly, or the exact destination without knowing what the train reporting number is but I can be 90% certain that the loose fines was loaded from Lorries via this pad and it's destination was Gartcosh or Brechin and later Monrtose:

8501632174_0ed8db94a3_c.jpgFerryhill by Jonathon Hurley, on Flickr Loose fines

...and the covered wagons behind came from here: 

https://flic.kr/p/bkijsu

Very few of the quarries round here have used the top ten metres (The Magnesum bearing Layer) for a good few years now(Apart from roadstone and tarmac). The last load of Magnesium fines going to Africa for use in banana plantations a good few years ago, Most of the seasonal (April/May) de souring lime coming from this quarry:

https://goo.gl/maps/oZnSy

and been loaded at the previously mentioned pad.

Here's some of the Steelworks bound lime being redistributed for agricultural purposes.

8623938881_56ba716a12_c.jpgDust blowing ! by keith.mcgovern1, on Flickr

And

https://flic.kr/p/5XAuoU

https://flic.kr/p/dLScKc

Porcy

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 15

The lime went to several locations in Scotland; Montrose is probably the best known, but there were other destinations, including Stranraer Town. The wagons in this photo are ex-Ferry Opens, latterly coded OJX; all bar one have been cut down. There were several other types used on the various mag-lime flows; Procor opens on ex-Blue Circle van chassis and the impressive side-tippers from 'Billy' Thompson amongst them. The steelworks flow to Ravenscraig used unsheeted opens- both containers on FPA flats and 102t iron-ore tipplers- BR apparently had a claim against it for damages to a fur coat worn by a lady who was waiting for her train at Berwick station when one of the trains went through...

• Like 1