OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

I would have thought in this day and age much consideration would have given to the ability to put sound chip and decent speaker into a NEW model. You can just about, after some modification to this models very cramped interior put in a cube speaker and sound chip. Having read Dave's breakdown of the DJM class 71 a major consideration in the design of his model was the ease of putting in a sound system. The only marketing I have done is to watch The Apprentice and I'm damn sure that Lord Sugar would have fired the Hornby crewe if he had seen their efforts!!

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating! I think these columns will see some very interesting comparisons and comments next year!!??

I for one do not want another Hornby class 71 even if they get discounted down to a tenner each!

That's a bit harsh to say the least, I have the Hornby 71's and a very fine model they are too, considering the DJM 71's are unfortunately some way off yet, I really find your post rather strange

• RMweb Premium

I hardly think removing the pantograph parts on the inside of this poorly designed model will cause the motor to malfunction - or, perhaps, I am missing something here??

Why don't you call or e-mail Hornby and explain the situation. The worst they can do is tell you that you've voided the warranty, on the other hand they may help. Either way you've got nothing to lose. My own experience with Hornby product support has been very good.

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought in this day and age much consideration would have given to the ability to put sound chip and decent speaker into a NEW model. You can just about, after some modification to this models very cramped interior put in a cube speaker and sound chip. Having read Dave's breakdown of the DJM class 71 a major consideration in the design of his model was the ease of putting in a sound system. The only marketing I have done is to watch The Apprentice and I'm damn sure that Lord Sugar would have fired the Hornby crewe if he had seen their efforts!!

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating! I think these columns will see some very interesting comparisons and comments next year!!??

I for one do not want another Hornby class 71 even if they get discounted down to a tenner each!

Clearly you have a dislike of Hornby and it's Class 71, seems strange to nail your colours to the mast when in an earlier post you admit to not having seen a DJM loco in the flesh.  

For the record I have 2 Hornby 71's, a DC kits 71 and a DJM one on order so I'm keeping an open mind. Having shown both to drivers who worked on the locos they were mightily impressed with the Hornby one, and are interested in seeing my DJ one as only one has vague recollections of the on in GFYE.

I have no real interest in sound fitted locos, what's important to me is a locos that accurately replicates, as far as processes allow, its full size counterpart, the Hornby one does and I look forward to seeing my DJ one in the flesh to again make an accurate comparison between models and the real thing but I would be foolish to state that either one is the mutts nuts without seeing theDJ one on the desk in front of me.

Mr Jones clearly from what he posts on here has a good skill sets in marketing, and producing models, your comments regarding Hornby and the Apprentice do seem a bit strange, not only to me but to others who have stated same as well.  

Guest 40-something

Seeing as you are so keen to tear the Hornby product to shreds, its strange you didnt mention your problems when you posted on the Hornby 71 thread, in fact you seemed rather pleased...

"Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:40

Just fitted a sound chip into E5001. Runs well and sounds good. Well pleased as the younger generation say."

Im not a Hornby apologist, they have dropped some clangers, and they have produced some fine models, Their 71 is in the latter group for me, and has to be the best runner I've had in an RTR loco ever. I havent fitted a chip but I have had the body off to see what needs done and with a little bit of thought, it can be easily done.

I wish Dave well on his 71, it looks great in the photos so far. Will I compare it to the Hornby one, no, and likewise I wont compare the Hornby 71 to DJM's effort. It must be a kick in the teeth to face this delay, but Im sure it will be worth waiting for (I dont have one on order, I may pick one up, but Im looking forward to the 74 more)

Edited by 40-something

I tell you what, why don't we just concentrate on the essence of the thread; that being the DJM Class 71?

No edit as such, just copied the text to post in the DJM 74 thread - ho hum, here we go again.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

When you live overseas, you tend to get used to waiting longer for things in any case. I am quite content to wait and when my models turn up, they turn up! :)

By which time they will - for us - have travelled from China to the UK to Australia ......... 

• Like 1

No doubt there will be some that see the other 71 alternative and cancel theirs, but I'm hoping it won't cause a 'run on the bank' as it were. It seems the majority are keeping the faith and I thank them for being part of history.

Cheers

Dave

I havent ordered a 71 (purely for financial reasons) but am hoping to buy some next year so even if some do cancel I am sure there are others out there in the same position as me who will gladly take up the slack as it were.

I am sure nobody is more disappointed than you at the moment but I am sure the model will be worth the wait.

That's a bit harsh to say the least, I have the Hornby 71's and a very fine model they are too, considering the DJM 71's are unfortunately some way off yet, I really find your post rather strange

In the 12 years I have run a model railway layout (I cant really call myself a modeller) I have had several 'brushes' with Hornby in short:

To me their class 71 is a continuation of a string of poorly thought out and constructed models a typical example being their class 423 VEPs (thank goodness Bachmann produce numerous EMUs and Thumpers that are robust and reliable). Does anybody still run these Hornby VEPs?

And yes I was pleased after struggling to fit a sound chip into one of their 71s after I was told it was impossible. But when that loco then discharges black gunge on the track that affects the running of locos on the layout - that isn't acceptable?

As for contacting Hornby - I haven't found that very productive in the past eg I had problems with their air-smoothed Bulleid Pacifics a few years back after the valve gear on a number of them continually 'fell apart' from day 1 of use. Their attitude was that the locos had been fitted with a sound chip, by a major company I might add, who had damaged the models and that in future I was told that must take my 'repairs' elsewhere!

My attitude towards Hornby is to buy only that which I REALLY want/ can't get elsewhere. 'Caveat emptor' and 'illegitimi non carbrundum' sum up my attitude to the company.

When it arrives the DJM class 71 (which we are promised can be fitted with chip and decent-sized speaker) will, I am sure, be a quality product on a par with the SLW class 24.

And this is  my final comment on this thread - until the DJM model arrives when I hope I will be allowed to say that the wait was worth it.

Yep I still run their VEPs (all 3 of them) and other EMUs, they are easier to get apart than Bachmann's EMUs but generally agree that Bachmann's are better all round. One VEP did suffer from having one pair of wheels both non-isolated, but from that I learned that the bogies unclip very easily, so I could switch the direction of the first pair (the first pair had bogies the wrong way around). Trackwork needs to be really flat and smooth to run Hornby EMUs though as some parts of the chassis are really rigid.

Back to 71, my choice on DJM is for several reasons but namely easy DCC sound fitting (I hope Hornby noted that weakness on their loco which is quite large and they don't repeat it on the 87),  DJM comes with a 21 pin socket too which - in theory - gives us more functions, providing of course the loco lighting circuit is designed to exploit it. Then there are colours and choices which better suit my needs. And the promises of a 74 too.

I don't particularly want to take any side in this - I've not handled the Hornby version, but have been put off by the awful looking headcode stickers and thick plastic handrails.

Dave announced his first, but I didn't pre-order because I wanted green, full yellow ends which wasn't originally announced. This was then announced and I pre-ordered and I have to add mighty fine it looked when a pic appeared REM a couple of months ago. I will probably follow this up eventually with both the Hattons GA versions and a class 74 (sorry Dave but there probably won't be anymore though).

Don't really care about delays. I can wait.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

that box is almost as gorgeous as the loco!

As it says on the box "Setting Higher Standards" 

And that is across the board from communication with the customer base through research and development to the quality of the product itself.  And its packaging.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is great news! Cant wait. I'll be ordering several on Sunday. I guess it's too early, but E5003, Green SYP, will it have the red body line or not? I guess E5004 NYP will have? Thanks in advance

E5003 with SYP would probably have been unlined. Going to unlined green was the first livery change as early as 1961.

A lot of them, probably all of them ran in unlined green with no yellow at all. As for the yellow panels well there are plenty of variations.

Simon 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

production started before CNY but completion of any particular batch didn't happen, and i wasn't going to ship only a few 71's to a few lucky crowd funders as it would be unfair.

no doubt i'll have an update as soon as CNY is over.

cheers

Dave