OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

When we see a series of pictures such as this it is very sobering to consider the conditions under which our objects of desire are assembled, and the conditions under which the staff work.  It's worth bearing such things in mind when we moan about price, waiting times or niggly details which may not be quite right.

I look forward to the completed loco arriving here within a reasonably short time.  And I thank you, Dave, for reminding us how these things come into being and under what conditions.  It's rather down-to-earth-with-a-bump.

• Like 2

Is it any worse than working in a fast food outlet? Strking a more cheerful note, I wonder which of those bodyshells is mine.

When i was a mere stripling, i did work in a fast food outlet in Reading, and trust me, i'd rather do that than assemble these models as i don't think i'd have the slightest aptitude for doing it. Putting a squirt of mayo on a burger and adding a piece of onion was easy by comparison.

• Like 1

Fair enough, Dave. Do you know if the assemblers take any interest in what they’re doing? If I were in their place, and even if I weren’t interested in railways, I’d be more satisfied in an end product like this than a burger.

Hi mate,

Great question, and one i think the answer for is no. the bosses do as it pays them a good (better than a worker) wage, but i think the factory floor boys and girls just see it as a means to an end.

It's worth repeating that there is no real work loyalty in China, as we know, some if not a lot of staff dont come back after CNY simply because they have made enough in the year, or want to use the market place (yes really, like a saturday market in your local town) to get better paid jobs depending on their skill sets. There is not a culture of return to work bonuses, or long service bonus etc there, so there is nothing for them to really get excited about......it's a job!

Yes there's QC that pulls up shoddy work and that can in drastic circumstances lead to reprimands if not job losses, but they do, in general, work as a team to get the job done.

Cheers

Dave 

When i was a mere stripling, i did work in a fast food outlet in Reading, and trust me, i'd rather do that than assemble these models as i don't think i'd have the slightest aptitude for doing it. Putting a squirt of mayo on a burger and adding a piece of onion was easy by comparison.

I think you've drawn attention to a fundamental answer to the "Why don't we bring production back to the UK?" argument. The answer is because the Chinese ladies have a rare gift for doing this fine assembly work. SK once told me that Hornby had tried assembly in India (it might have been the 28XX) and that the Indian workers could not do it nearly as well as the Chinese. Even before I reached my ripe old age, I had trouble with fitting buffer beam details on diesels, so I agree with you - I'd sooner assemble a burger! (CJL)

I think you've drawn attention to a fundamental answer to the "Why don't we bring production back to the UK?" argument. The answer is because the Chinese ladies have a rare gift for doing this fine assembly work. SK once told me that Hornby had tried assembly in India (it might have been the 28XX) and that the Indian workers could not do it nearly as well as the Chinese. Even before I reached my ripe old age, I had trouble with fitting buffer beam details on diesels, so I agree with you - I'd sooner assemble a burger! (CJL)

Could it have been the first attempt at the detailed B17 model. I recall hearing that Hornby had that tooled with initial production, in India, rejected the work and took the tooling to Sanda Kan in China, who said it wouldn't fit their machines, leading to a complete retool, hence the long delay with that model and a big financial lesson.

• RMweb Gold

My blue one is in the box of blue ones, 3rd from the end of the bottom row, next to the text in the box that says "HST class 43 virgin" - was that an Easter egg to another Project, do i get to claim £5 for spotting it ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Another UK argument is the price. Although maybe not a true comparison, PECO's OO-9 coaches are made in the UK, are simple in construction but not much difference in price to a china made OO coache!

China have built up their experience over 40 plus years, starting with simpler models back then and now on to today's standards. Sure a new employee won,t be up to speed on the first day, but they will be surrounded by other employees and managers who are very experienced and can bring them quickly up to speed.

To start making a modern complex model in India were nearly everyone has never made anything like this before is bound to fail as it will be a case of the blind leading the blind. However starting with smokey Joe (a former easy assemble UK model) and building it up over time could eventually establish a power base. It would about 10 years to catch up with today IMHO.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure many of us would want to engage in the fine work demanded to construct a model locomotive in an environment where we had to wear a thick coat, presumably to keep warm in a cold Chinese winter - not unless we earned sufficient money in a year to buy a residence in Kensington! Hardly surprising that they might not have any loyalty to the firm that employs them; just very grateful, slightly embarrassed and very humbled, that I can buy one for the price I paid.

Godfrey

• Like 1

Right then you lovely lot. How high above the running rail top should the overhead wire be in order to look good with our class 71? in mm please if poss

Not sure if you've seen this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104612-srsouthern-region-overhead-electrification-equipment/

I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but it may give some leads to PM people?