Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

I am pleased Oxfordrail has announced a model of the preserved Radial in LSWR livery.

There's only one preserved Radial in LSWR livery, and it may be ideal if you're modelling the Bluebell Railway. One in genuine LSWR condition would probably appeal to most of those buyers, and may create a market for pre grouping models, where several could be sold to one customer.

With more products being duplicated, maybe it's a way to expand the market, as an increasing number of modellers weren't born in the steam age, so maybe pre-grouping steam may appeal to some just as much as BR and grouping eras, if products were available. It did to me, as I became interested in railways very shortly after steam had ended in the south, and never had a chance to get up north to see the very last of it.

I have noticed an occasional 'clicking' noise coming from mine.  I suspect that the flanges of the pony truck and rear bogie are riding on the tops of the chairs on my C&L code 75 track.

Can you report on any progress with this problem please - is it just the bogie wheels that are maybe a problem or are the drivers hitting as well?

Thank you for the video. One point, if I may. It hasn't got pickups on all wheels - only on the driving and trailing wheels.

No worries, glad it is of help. Thanks for pointing that out. Ah yes, miss read the instructions on filming. Will sort that out  :jester:

Edited by SDJR7F88

Logically if there is a demand for an LSWR road van there should be a demand for an Adams Radial in original condition to pull it as the Radials were used as mixed traffic engines after they left London.  There were 71 LSWR Adams Radials of which 31 survived for a short time on the Southern Railway. They were used on a far wider geographical area than the three survivors. Although there are minor differences between 488 as preserved and 488 as built I am happy to run it with LSWR rolling stock until Oxford or Hornby produce an original one. Alternatively I could run it on my layout under the fiction that the preserved line I am modelling has borrowed it from the Bluebell Railway or simply because I like the model.

I am getting the early crest one, even though this loco never ran down here, i still want one.

I am going to look for some rail tour plates and run it like that, if i was doing a show and at home just run it anyway,it's a very good looking loco.

They will sell well and i hope Oxford carry on doing railway models not at silly prices.

Darren

• Like 1

I saw the model "in the plastic/metal" today at Warley.  Although the much enlarged images on here manage to make the model look quite "clunky" and coarse, the actual model looks quite delicate and well-detailed.  I am waiting for a 30584 as a small memento of a footplate ride from Axminster to Lyme back in the day:  I was 13 at the time and we just happened upon the crew having their lunch in the first compartment of the train!  So I will wait to see what the Hornby offering looks like also.  But this version looks pretty good to me.

• Like 3

Hi all, I have read this  entire thread on and off this year, and are interested in  488 as it is at Bluebell.

Which  offering may be "close" to that of the bluebell  loco as preserved ?   This link may explain why I'm interested: 

And I am thinking that I might buy both  Adam's from both manufacturers too.

Next question is the coach  in the following photo of a poster I have, just wondering if anyone can id it and offer a modle source
so I can sort of recreate this photo:

adams_wall.jpg

Any help appriiciated.  I'm rather far from the UK so will not see it for a while/order for a while.

Regards,
David Head
Edited by dthead
  • Like 3

Thank you David for a lovely set of pictures. I am sorry that I cannot identify the coach but there is an illustrated list of Bluebell Railway rolling stock at http://wwwbluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/car_list.html. Being pulled by 488 is one of my first memories of the Bluebell line in the 1960s. I vaguely remember that the coaches were from the Metropolitan Railway with the LNWR observation car at the back. Pairing 488 with Bluebell's 1520 Lavatory brake 3rd 1910 would be more authentic. I am sorry that I don't know if anyone makes kits of these coaches.

Review now online!

A review of a very much anticipated from model from Oxford Rail! Oxford Rail's first Ready to Run 00 gauge locomotive, the all new Adams Radial Tank, in smart BR Late Lined Black Livery.

The Adams Radial Tanks were design by William Adams, to replace the stop-gap 46 Class on suburban services around London. The first members of the class entered service in 1882, and by 1885 a total of 71 Locomotives had entered service. During grouping in 1923, only 30 locomotives made it in to Southern Railway ownership. By 1927, only two engines remained, although in 1946 they were joined by a further locomotive, purchased from the East Kent Light Railway. All 3 saw service on the Lyme Regis Branch, in Dorset and passed in BR ownership. All three were finally withdrawn from service in 1961, with one member surviving into preservation.

The model features a wealth of detail including; separately fitted smokebox dart, finely applied hand rails, a superb cab interior, sprung buffers, well applied Glazing, plus more. 

Fitted with a powerful 5 Pole Motor, Die-cast running plate and pick-ups on all wheels, the Adams is a smooth and powerful runner straight from the box.

This model really is a must for any Southern Region modeller! Oxford Rail have done an amazing job indeed, and I’m look forward to seeing more of Oxfords Rails future ventures, hopefully in the not too distant future…

Hope you enjoy! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiWEK_LhiA

One assume it is DCC Ready with a plug???   Is it a 21Pin, 8Pin or PLUX 22

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure that the Adams Radial in BR lined black with a late crest is a must for every Southern Region modeller as it probably only ran on the Lyme Regis Branch. It is a model of an attractive locomotive and will probably appeal to anyone who likes the look of the model.

I wish I had bought the 00 Works BR Adams Radial when it came out instead of waiting to see if they bought out an LSWR version which I missed. I saw a survey about the most popular livery and there were equal votes for LSWR, Southern and BR so I am pleased Oxfordrail has announced a model of the preserved Radial in LSWR livery.

I've seen a photo of two working the weed killing train over the Seaton branch (in BR days) so it seems likely they would have visited the Sidmouth and Exmouth lines too.

Possible next project for Oxford Rail (in my dreams), a Southern Region weed killing set...........

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've seen a photo of two working the weed killing train over the Seaton branch (in BR days) so it seems likely they would have visited the Sidmouth and Exmouth lines too.

Possible next project for Oxford Rail (in my dreams), a Southern Region weed killing set...........

John

While they were almost exclusively seen on the Lyme Regis branch they were by no means confined to it.  They would have had to visit a major shed at times (Exmouth Junction?, even Eastleigh which also saw the Cornish Beatties on occasions) and would surely have worked locals on some occasions away from the branch.  

• RMweb Premium

Callum, yours looks perfect. Today I discovered 3/4issues with my 30583  (from Rails). Two are possibly design related and are to do with the bogie and pony truck affecting running (mentioned earlier by someone). The other major one (3rd issue) is an assembly problem that in turn affects the running plate alignment (4th issue). I will not discuss these in detail except by PM as myself and a friend are passing our concerns on to Oxford Rail as they need to be aware ASAP.

Such a shame as it looks lovely and ran beautifully on my rolling road yesterday.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

While they were almost exclusively seen on the Lyme Regis branch they were by no means confined to it.  They would have had to visit a major shed at times (Exmouth Junction?, even Eastleigh which also saw the Cornish Beatties on occasions) and would surely have worked locals on some occasions away from the branch.  

Weekly LE or DH from Axminster/Seaton Junction to Exeter and then 72A.

Eastleigh for Works. Worked some railtours too. 

One went to London in 1960/61 for some exhibition I can't quite remember.....

Did work an early train on the Seaton Branch in the mid 50s timetables.

Phil

Callum, yours looks perfect. Today I discovered 3/4issues with my 30583  (from Rails). Two are possibly design related and are to do with the bogie and pony truck affecting running (mentioned earlier by someone). The other major one (3rd issue) is an assembly problem that in turn affects the running plate alignment (4th issue). I will not discuss these in detail except by PM as myself and a friend are passing our concerns on to Oxford Rail as they need to be aware ASAP.

Such a shame as it looks lovely and ran beautifully on my rolling road yesterday.

Phil

Thanks mate. Shame about the issues with yours. Got a video of a full running session of my one coming up very soon. Must admit I have had few little niggles with mine, like the bogie sounding like has derailed on corners, as will be heard in the video. But still feel this really great start for Oxford and looking forward to seeing more products from them. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Any particular make of decoder?

I have a TCS one whihch did work a few times on the layout last weekend but not for any prolonged period. Its fine so far. I have insulated the inside of the coal bunker.

Edited by roundhouse