Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

Following my review of the Oxford Rail Adams Radial, in BR Late Black Livery, here's a quick running session featuring her hauling typical local branchline rake. 
Overall the Adams Radial is a superb performer, handling the mixed rake with ease, whilst running smoothly and silently. One thing to note though is that on corners the front bogie does rattle slightly, but apart from that there is nothing else to note.
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUTQzs_VUNY

post-20663-0-21257400-1449075955_thumb.gif

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Basically I can 'reveal' that the main 'issues' with my sample are from poor assembly (including an incorrect part) resulting in a warped running plate, sides and front and other minor faults including glue showing and ill fitting parts including the smokebox door and the steps. This is a quality control issue and I/we hope that Oxford will tighten up their Quality Control at the factory. 

I suggest that if one wants to get one of these and they would be very nice loco's without the faults, one actually goes to a model shop that has them in stock and asks the trader to open and examine the condition and look carefully at the front end fittings.

If, like me, you get a pre ordered example by post from a big box shifter in a City west of Retford, (other suppliers are available of course), then you may well be taking a bit of a gamble. 

I want Oxford Rail to succeed as they have put a lot of investment in going into model railways. I am sure they will.

Phil

Basically I can 'reveal' that the main 'issues' with my sample are from poor assembly (including an incorrect part) resulting in a warped running plate, sides and front and other minor faults including glue showing and ill fitting parts including the smokebox door and the steps. This is a quality control issue and I/we hope that Oxford will tighten up their Quality Control at the factory. 

I suggest that if one wants to get one of these and they would be very nice loco's without the faults, one actually goes to a model shop that has them in stock and asks the trader to open and examine the condition and look carefully at the front end fittings.

If, like me, you get a pre ordered example by post from a big box shifter in a City west of Retford, (other suppliers are available of course), then you may well be taking a bit of a gamble. 

I want Oxford Rail to succeed as they have put a lot of investment in going into model railways. I am sure they will.

Phil

Did you get a satisfactory replacement?

• RMweb Premium

Did you get a satisfactory replacement?

Thank you for asking. Not yet as the loco is with my friend so he can 'review' it for his Blog and communicate with Oxford. I'm happy with that and depending what Oxford say to him I shall be sending it wherever they suggest. That is, the Retailer or themselves.

Phil

I have noticed that the price gap between local model shops and mail order shops has narrowed recently. I visited Setchfields in Poole today and they were selling the lined black radial for £90. Taking postage into account this is cheaper than Hattons who are selling them for £88 plus £4 postage. It is still cheaper at Rails who are selling them for £84 post free. Oxfordrail may be giving model shops deeper discounts than Hornby but I think Oxfordrail's minimum orders are higher.

Setchfields had several in stock and I joined another customer in looking at one. The faults pointed out earlier in this topic were not noticeable when looking at the model and we were impressed with the cab details. The shop assistant thought it would be a job for Hornby to improve on this. He had sold two and both customers said that the Radials ran very well I am waiting for the LSWR version as the BR Adams Radial did not run on the branch line I am modelling and I have no record of any in Southern livery there either. They were replaced by T1s.

• Like 3

I got mine today. Good first effort from Oxfordrail But not quite there.

On the QC side, the front right buffer was not fitted squarely as others have reported here. It easily popped into place however.

The running plate has a slight curve, basically the middle is almost 1mm higher than the buffer ends. Concerning details, general build (QC aside), I agree with what else has been said here so will not repeat it.

Running wise, yes it is smooth, can be made to crawl, has plenty of grunt etc... But I find it not as quiet as the E4, 700 nor S15.

That other more expensive Adams radial, the O2, outclasses it everywhere in terms of build, finish and running qualities.

The model for me is not wow and maybe the slightly bowed running plate, general finish and slightly noisy chassis has maybe made me feel a little disappointed. This won,t put me off buying other Oxfordrail items, but I do feel that there are a few small lessons to be learned which hopefully they will take into consideration.

• RMweb Premium

That other more expensive Adams radial, the O2, outclasses it everywhere in terms of build, finish and running qualities.

With a pair of those here already and the third awaiting "enhanced customs inspection" on the quayside for now that comment is the deal-clincher for me.  Wait for the red box.  Unless it contains a lemon it will be a Margate radial coming here.

Full credit to Oxford.  They are obviously selling theirs in decent numbers and surely won't miss one sale.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi 

has anyone ran one of these on C+L track work? ,as i am planing on getting one .

Looking at the flanges on the wheel i worried it's going to hit the top of the chairs, like my Hornby DMU did.

Darren

Which DMU?

Cheers,

Mick

I think my plan is to buy one LSWR livery from Oxford and one SR from Hornby in ? March Should be interesting to make the comparison.

I must echo Gwiwer off topic - what a lovely runner the O2 is. Awaiting the Southern green now. Next week? It is almost like Christmas for us Southern modellers! Not sure my bank manager agrees though.

• Like 1

Which DMU?

Cheers,

Mick

The 121 bubble car, hit the chairs on my C+L track, had to get a set of ultra scale wheels.

I do not mind changing the poney wheels, but do not fancy having to change the driving wheels.

• RMweb Premium

The 121 bubble car, hit the chairs on my C+L track, had to get a set of ultra scale wheels.

I do not mind changing the poney wheels, but do not fancy having to change the driving wheels.

Not surprised. Probably ex-Lima pizza cutter flanges. There js a much cheaper fix than rewheeling by trimming the flanges down.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I bought one of these out of curiosity. This is what I've found so far.

The packaging is the standard type that most are using now.

post-6821-0-98660200-1449322327_thumb.jpg

One oddity is that the ends of the box are blank, the barcode ID label is on the back of the box.

post-6821-0-45886100-1449322335_thumb.jpg

Inside the box.

post-6821-0-42229500-1449322337_thumb.jpg

The now standard clear plastic carrier. The brake rodding and front coupling are in a bag under the loco.

post-6821-0-93336800-1449322338_thumb.jpg

The body is held on with three screws, two under the bunker and one at the front, accessed by a hole in the bogie. Removing it reveales this.

post-6821-0-14600300-1449322340_thumb.jpg

The drive train is a curious arrangement. The flywheel has a recess, into which fits a universal joint coupling to the gear tower.

post-6821-0-78230900-1449322341_thumb.jpg

This is why the motor is so far forward, its plastic mount visible under the boiler.

post-6821-0-35479800-1449322343_thumb.jpg

The DCC socket under the bunker.

post-6821-0-09887000-1449322345_thumb.jpg

Another oddity is on the wheels. To get the rods in line with the cylinders the crankpins screw into raised bosses rather than the face of the wheels. They are 2mm high. The axles are 2mm diameter.

post-6821-0-39204400-1449322347_thumb.jpg

As for the body, the running plate, tanks and bunker is a single die cast part. The rest is made from lots of separate plastic parts, allowing for plenty of detail variations.. I reckon the centre of gravity of the body is in line with the cab front sheet.

post-6821-0-71232100-1449322348_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, Neil B, really useful. The protruding boss to take the crankpins is as the prototype, though how close to true scale I don't know; looks about right against photos.

This maniac, armed wth the information from the photos, is thinking ditch flywheel (not needed with DCC), thereby enabling moving the motor closer to gear train top, thus eliminating protrusion into airspace under the forward section of boiler for the application it might suit. First we wait for the Hornby version to see what its merits might be.

Thanks very much for that Neil.  As 34C says it looks to be possible to move the motor back.  But isn't it a shame they didn't do that in the first place!  I have several locos running with flywheels and I've never found the need to have a U/J, just a bearing to support the motor spindle in some cases.

As I want the LSWR version though, I will also await Hornby's offering, particularly as I don't really fancy paint matching the Oxford even if it is in the shaded area.  I might though see if there are any cheap Oxfords about after the Hornby issue and chop them into an LT&SR Class 1, the wheel base being (almost) spot on.

• Like 1

Not surprised. Probably ex-Lima pizza cutter flanges. There js a much cheaper fix than rewheeling by trimming the flanges down.

Cheers,

Mick

About the only option really, as there are no wheels available to my knowledge that match Oxfords axle diameters for a simple re wheel. Driving axles are 2mm dia and bogie/trailing are 1.5mm dia.

Edited by pete55

Interesting mechanical arrangement although quite why is a bit baffling - possibly to make assembly easier re the alignment motor-gearbox.  Looks pretty obvious that a motor fitted direct to the gearbox with a flywheel on its end (or between it and the gearbox) then it would clear the gap below the boiler.

nb any chance of someone measuring the lubricator on the smokebox side.