Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The chimney on mine was also loose, but thankfully I found it on the workbench before the carpet monster got it.

Can it be glued it without causing problems?  

Meanwhile I've stored it in the detail pack so that it doesn't get lost.

The chimney has to be removable to get the body off the chassis. E.g. if you need to get inside for decoder fitting/changing.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Pleased to report that all three of the Railmotors arrived safe and sound. I shall test run them later tonight and report back. Can’t run them at the moment becuase they’re both freezing cold and I’m technically still in the office :)

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The chimney on mine was also loose, but thankfully I found it on the workbench before the carpet monster got it.

Can it be glued it without causing problems?  

Meanwhile I've stored it in the detail pack so that it doesn't get lost.

The chimney is a push fit as it fits into the top of the vertical boiler and rotates with it as per the real thing.  As stated above this does need to be removed should you wish to take off the body, we would not recommend gluing it in, but if you are going to regularly remove the rail motor from your layout then perhaps using something like tacky wax or blutack might be better?

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/01/2024 at 10:48, Garry D100 said:

That motion is mesmerizing.

I was lucky enough to be shown a pre-pro example a while back, which responded very well to the demonstrator simply holding a PP3 battery to the wheels. 

No hurry for mine, which will be delivered to Sherry in Torquay, and I'm not back there until Valentine's day! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

The chimney has to be removable to get the body off the chassis. E.g. if you need to get inside for decoder fitting/changing.

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

The chimney is a push fit as it fits into the top of the vertical boiler and rotates with it as per the real thing.  As stated above this does need to be removed should you wish to take off the body, we would not recommend gluing it in, but if you are going to regularly remove the rail motor from your layout then perhaps using something like tacky wax or blutack might be better?

Thanks for that info guys.  It won't be glued then, so it will have to be blutack.

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2024 at 10:07, franciswilliamwebb said:

Looks superb, although that Hornby APT style capacitor surely has a date with a soldering iron😃

It spoils the look by not being a surface mount device, like the rest🙂

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I don't think anything else is required to hold it in under normal use. Mine slotted in quite firmly and is not loose. It may have been not fitted correctly at the factory or received a shock at some point during shipping. Either way I'm not worried about it falling out again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Thanks for that info guys.  It won't be glued then, so it will have to be blutack

Perhaps a couple of turns with PTFE tape on the chimney will give just enough friction for a sufficiently secure non-glue placement.

Edited by longchap
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, longchap said:

Perhaps a couple of turns with PTFE tape on the chimney will give just enough friction for a sufficiently secure non-glue placement.

As stated above it is already a good push fit, even PTFE tape will be too much additional width and once pushed in tight for normal use the chimney stays in happily place, handling of the packages during shipping may it appears potentially cause the chimney to be slightly loose on arrival.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

As stated above it is already a good push fit, even PTFE tape will be too much additional width and once pushed in tight for normal use the chimney stays in happily place, handling of the packages during shipping may it appears potentially cause the chimney to be slightly loose on arrival.  

Thanks Graham for your intimate knowledge of the product, as the chimneys can obviously be pushed home securely. Most reasuring and I'm looking forward to my delivery in due course.

Edited by longchap

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, longchap said:

Thanks Graham for your intimate knowledge of the product, as the chimneys can obviously be pushed home securely. Most reasuring and I'm looking forward to my delivery in due course.

Thanks, yes despite my fingers burning every time I touch one, I do indeed know the product pretty well... 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Thanks, yes despite my fingers burning every time I touch one, I do indeed know the product pretty well... 

Yes your knowledge of “the product “ speaks for itself. And talking of which,I’m currently viewing on YouTube “Vintage Southern” and just watched one in BR black head a freight train. The narrator announces it as a “diesel electric “.Should have gone to Specsavers…But the model IMHO is one of the best surprises we’ve had in a long while. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes your knowledge of “the product “ speaks for itself. And talking of which,I’m currently viewing on YouTube “Vintage Southern” and just watched one in BR black head a freight train. The narrator announces it as a “diesel electric “.Should have gone to Specsavers…But the model IMHO is one of the best surprises we’ve had in a long while. 

I seem to be missing something here. Could this be the electric loco by any chance? Steam rail motors  - in BR black - heading a freight train might give some an attack of the vapours!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Saw these in the cabinet in the shop today. They look lovely. I might have to get one at some point. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

It's funny as that happens to me too when handling my Maunsell coaches.😉

• Funny 1

Happy to report that all three of my railmotors run very well - one has been Hornby bluetoothed and is running in properly now. Can’t say that it was the easiest model to get in to, but all sorted now.

However, I do have a question for you all on here - the instructions say that the interior and trailing cab lights will light up on analogue and are controlled by function 6 on DCC. None of mine do this on analogue.

Now, I’m willing to believe that the Hornby decoder needs a bit of messing about with to make the lights work, but the other two (which are remaining analogue) worry me a bit. Can anyone illuminate me on this? It just seems odd that it is all three of them

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

Hi guys, I ordered mine on 09/12/2022 and have not received it yet not getting any reply.

Those that have just got them can you give me an idea of your order date so i can see how far down the list I am please?

Just trying to plan things in.

5 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi guys, I ordered mine on 09/12/2022 and have not received it yet not getting any reply.

Those that have just got them can you give me an idea of your order date so i can see how far down the list I am please?

Just trying to plan things in.

I ordered about a year ago and received a few days ago. I think though the determinant is not the order date (reading earlier in the thread) it is when you paid. I paid when I ordered. I am also non dcc sound and I believe the sound folks will receive later

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MoonM said:

I ordered about a year ago and received a few days ago. I think though the determinant is not the order date (reading earlier in the thread) it is when you paid. I paid when I ordered. I am also non dcc sound and I believe the sound folks will receive later

Yes paid at time and non dcc as well, but order still shows as pending, guess I'm gonna have to call I thought it was taking too long.

22 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Yes paid at time and non dcc as well, but order still shows as pending, guess I'm gonna have to call I thought it was taking too long.

Interesting. Wondering if colour has something to do with it. I ordered in brown and I perhaps expect the crimson (as preserved) or choc and cream to be most popular? 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Interesting. Wondering if colour has something to do with it. I ordered in brown and I perhaps expect the crimson (as preserved) or choc and cream to be most popular? 

Don't know, mine is number 85 GWR Crimson Lake. God I hope nothing has gone wrong I've been looking forward to this for ages :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sure it'll be fine. Think was refd earlier in the thread there would also be some ordered to stock. Absolutely beautiful model so it'll be worth the wait when you get it. Only issue I noted was the chimney loose in the box as others have reported. But given that's designed to be removable and it easily refits snug that is no issue at all

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, MoonM said:

I ordered my No.97 DCC ready (non sound) 3 years ago and paid in Nov 22 and it doesn't show any status at all

• Agree 1