Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

4073????????????????

I must check what I type - Write this out 100 times David.

More seriously I really should know having been on Pendennis Castle's footplate quite often a long time ago.

David

Ugh! Invacars...disturbing childhood memories of visiting the local cornershop (a VG store!) where there would be 1 or 2 of these horrible blue things parked outside. In them were various rather scary blokes that would shout across to you asking if you would do their shopping for them. Being of a timid nature at 5 or 6 years old I always ran a mile if they shouted to me!

Later on, in the late 70's I used to ride an off road motorbike on a bit of derelict land near our house and one day turned up to find someone had dumped about 6 of these blue meanies there and set fire to them, returning for the scrap later. All of them had what looked like Villiers 2 stroke engines in them.

Jon F.

I remember there being a campaign in the Sunday Times or Observer in the 1970s for people to be given converted standard cars, as the Invacars had a tendency to fall over and injure the occupant. Apparently, Invacars were one of several companies building these cars; another was AC Cars, which one tends to associate with somewhat faster and more solid vehicles.

There always seemed to be a couple next to the touchline at Stradey Park, when I used to watch the Scarlets there in the late '60s/early '70s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of Highland photos today. What a lovely photo of Rogart in C1323. It would make a lovely model. The two photos of tbe Wickham trolley at Georgemas Junction show some dirty looking track - I wonder if it is off the traction tyres since the model is to have them!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I just love the Wickham trolley pics at Georgemas Junction.

(I wonder if the Wickham, in C1316, is powered by its trailer or not?)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Some excellent photo's from Northumberland today. I like C3506, the Deltic hauled Silver Jubilee looks most impressive. I can't think what track realignment work that was in connection with.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the L.T.& S.R. It is always good to see the 302's going about their everyday work. It always is interesting how passengers knew which unit was working which service when no blinds were being used.

The Waverley makes a delightful sight, and if you have any photos from that trip out on her, then I hope you might post them on here.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of the L.T.& S.R. It is always good to see the 302's going about their everyday work. It always is interesting how passengers knew which unit was working which service when no blinds were being used.

The Waverley makes a delightful sight, and if you have any photos from that trip out on her, then I hope you might post them on here.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I have a number of photos of Waverley, they will appear now and then - it will be justified as she was a railway owned ship.

David

I remember there being a campaign in the Sunday Times or Observer in the 1970s for people to be given converted standard cars, as the Invacars had a tendency to fall over and injure the occupant. Apparently, Invacars were one of several companies building these cars; another was AC Cars, which one tends to associate with somewhat faster and more solid vehicles.

There always seemed to be a couple next to the touchline at Stradey Park, when I used to watch the Scarlets there in the late '60s/early '70s.

Hi,

Sorry, missed looking on for a day, a bit more info on Invacars:

Early vehicles were powered by an air-cooled Villiers 147 cc engine, but when production of that engine ceased in the early 1970s it was replaced by a much more powerful 4-stroke 500 cc or 600 cc Steyr-Puch engine, giving a reported top speed of 82 mph (132 km/h).

Now I don't know about you, but the thought of one of those doing 80mph is a lot scary!! Info from Wiki.

They used to let them sit in front of the North Stand at Hull City's Boothferry Park.

:-)

Kevin

Those CACT containers must have been amongst the earliest maritime containers to be seen on Freightliner; does anyone know anything about the company? Google kept trying to direct me to Charlton Athletic Charitable Trust.

The 31-hauled freight is a nice mixture of stock: 12t standard vans, a (BR?) ferryvan, an open, another 12t van,a 20t brake van, two air-braked vans and finally,another open.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those CACT containers must have been amongst the earliest maritime containers to be seen on Freightliner; does anyone know anything about the company? Google kept trying to direct me to Charlton Athletic Charitable Trust.

The 31-hauled freight is a nice mixture of stock: 12t standard vans, a (BR?) ferryvan, an open, another 12t van,a 20t brake van, two air-braked vans and finally,another open.

As far as I know it is Associated Container Transportation (Australia) Ltd What looks like a "C" is just a part of the logo.

The company's web site contains a history page, link below. NB My browser (Chrome) is not entirely happy about this site, but it seems OK to me.  My antivirus hasn't picked anything up (Talktalk/F Secure).

http://actas.org.uk/history/

David

PS Jonny 777 got there first with the other site I found but hadn't yet typed in.

D.

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photos of Crich. In C3000 there is a great example of those flares we used to wear!

The ECML photos are such a record of how things were, and I'm glad you posted them. 1A35 - that, I believe, is the down Flying Scotsman. And, as always, it is so good to see the Deltics at work. I can hear them now, if I close my eyes!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It's been a while since we had some tram pictures so I thought a trip to Crich wouldn't come amiss for the first batch today.

Once again I find it hard to believe how long it is since these photos were taken.

attachicon.gifCrich EE Franklin and John Bull Sept 68 J1446.jpg

Crich EE Franklin and John Bull Sept 68 J1446

attachicon.gifCrich Blackpool 40 April 76 C2694.jpg

Crich Blackpool 40 April 76 C2694

attachicon.gifCrich Newcastle Tram 102 21st Aug 76 C3000.jpg

Crich Newcastle Tram 102 21st Aug 76 C3000

attachicon.gifCrich Manchester 765 Aug 77 C3405.jpg

Crich Manchester 765 Aug 77 C3405

attachicon.gifCrich Blackpol toastrack Aug 77 C3407.jpg

Crich Blackpol toastrack Aug 77 C3407

attachicon.gifCrich Paisley 68 Aug 79 C4815.jpg

Crich Paisley 68 Aug 79 C4815

David

With the exception of 765, driven all of those. :)

J2650.........would that be vacuum fitted to the brake van, with the air braked vans as a tail load?

Great photo!

Regards

Guy

Just look at where the brake van is. If the air braked vans were running in this train as unfitted (vs through piped) the brake van would have been positioned at the very end in case of the train becoming split, so as to be able to stop the rear half. Although, I don't know how much braking a single vac fitted open would provide if the train split just before the two air braked/through piped vans.

Just look at where the brake van is. If the air braked vans were running in this train as unfitted (vs through piped) the brake van would have been positioned at the very end in case of the train becoming split, so as to be able to stop the rear half. Although, I don't know how much braking a single vac fitted open would provide if the train split just before the two air braked/through piped vans.

Was this section of line that allowed unfitted trains to run without a brake van in the rear!

Mark Saunders

A lot of the early air braked vans were also vac piped (and later became TOPS code VBB) 

I think, at that time, the rule regarding  'fully fitted' trains with through piped vehicles and fitted vehicles behind

was that a maximum of five consecutive piped vehicles were permitted with a minimum of two fitted vehicles on the rear.

So I would suggest either there are two short vacuum braked vehicles at the rear, one hiding behind the signal post,  

or the train is incorrectly marshalled.

cheers