Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Phil

Was D16 part of the refurbishment program, if she was she never received the triangular grill? Or was she involved in a crash, otherwise why was she fitted with new nose ends?

Hi Clive

http://www.derbysulzers.com/45headcode.html says D16 was in the Derby programme. Was the triangular grille plated over?

Cheers

Phil

Hang on ....Did D16 have nose doors ?

Nope so corrected my post above - just had split boxes without doors, but still went from that to centre box so still favour 116

Sorry for confusion!

Phil

D11 to D15 had nose doors when new, but lost them under a program of refurbishment at Derby from 1967 on. (See http://www.derbysulzers.com/45headcode.html  ). Of those refurbished under this program, D12 to D18 and D115 had single piece center headcodes fitted, but not the triangular bodyside grill. The others in the program, D11, D53, D60, D61 & D116 had the single piece center headcodes fitted along with the triangular bodyside grill. I have checked this with all the available photos I can find of the locos, but there seems to be no discernible pattern as to when and why the triangular grills where fitted. .

This would suggest that, depending on then D116 had the single piece center headcodes fitted, the loco in Davids photo is not 116?

Once again David, you have spoilt us with an exquisite selection of photos. Many thanks.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

http://www.derbysulzers.com/45headcode.html says D16 was in the Derby programme. Was the triangular grille plated over?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

The triangular plate was common to all Peaks when built, it was turned into a grille on refurbished locos (see below). 

I was always under the belief, refurbished locos be them Cromptons or Brushes have the triangular grille. I have just done a internet trawl and found the following about refurbished class 45s.

With triangular grille

D11

D53

D60

D61

D116

Without it

D12

D13

D14

D15

D16, see Phil's link.

D17

D115

Every day is a school day.

For TOPS numbers see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_45

• RMweb Gold

I have a 1970 combined volume, and the only air brakes Peaks are 12, 14-17, 19, 24-26, 30-31, 34, 53, 60, 89, 112, and 129. Does anyone have a 1971 copy to see which were done next? I suppose 112 is a possibility but the last digit does look like a 5 or a 6.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had another look at the original scan,  I am almost certain it ends in 6, and think it probably only has 2 digits.

There is some motion blur in the original, so sharpening, even Smart Sharpen in Photoshop used to reduce motion blur doesn't help.

Does that help in identifying it?

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had another look at the original scan,  I am almost certain it ends in 6, and think it probably only has 2 digits.

There is some motion blur in the original, so sharpening, even Smart Sharpen in Photoshop used to reduce motion blur doesn't help.

Does that help in identifying it?

David

Hi David

It is not D16, or D116.

D26, D76, D86, D96 and D106 had split headcode boxes, so are ruled out.

So is it D36, D46, D56, D66, D126 or D136? None of which appear to have been air braked according to Stovepipe's combine. I will check my 1971 edition tonight.

• Like 1

Hi David

It is not D16, or D116.

D26, D76, D86, D96 and D106 had split headcode boxes, so are ruled out.

So is it D36, D46, D56, D66, D126 or D136? None of which appear to have been air braked according to Stovepipe's combine. I will check my 1971 edition tonight.

Don't forget that the information in the combines was way out of date by the time they were published. I don't have any immediately to hand but recall them citing 'information correct as at' dates (which can be found in the preamble to each volume) that were at least 6 months to nearly a year old. Even the monthly magazines' motive power news was weeks to months old by the time it was published. Somewhat different times to today.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that the information in the combines was way out of date by the time they were published. I don't have any immediately to hand but recall them citing 'information correct as at' dates (which can be found in the preamble to each volume) that were at least 6 months to nearly a year old. Even the monthly magazines' motive power news was weeks to months old by the time it was published. Somewhat different times to today.

Yes agreed. My 1970 combine is correct up to December 1969 with the exact date depending on region. It's a long while since I bought one, but I believe they came out in Springtime, or was it later?

As to whether it was D36, D46, D56, D66, D126 or D136, I think we can rule out D56 (a namer) and D136 which didn't get air brakes until after 1973. Of the ones that remain I'm going for D66, but let's see what Clive's combine brings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes agreed. My 1970 combine is correct up to December 1969 with the exact date depending on region. It's a long while since I bought one, but I believe they came out in Springtime, or was it later?

As to whether it was D36, D46, D56, D66, D126 or D136, I think we can rule out D56 (a namer) and D136 which didn't get air brakes until after 1973. Of the ones that remain I'm going for D66, but let's see what Clive's combine brings.

The 1971 combine is dated January 1971, and not one of them was air braked.

You're right on J2524, Dave. That's definitely D9000 - the blanking plate over the original headlight with the squarer, smaller footstep (above the bufferbeam) gives it away.

The previous picture, J1773, of the Deltic on the down "Flying Scotsman", is more difficult to identify. It's clearly a racehorse. D9001 was in works at the time. I'd suggest that the length of the plate rules out D9003, D9007 and probably D9020. It could be D9009 (and, in fact, "Napier Chronicles" records it as working 1S17 on July 12th), D9012, D9015 (which was recorded on 1S17 on July 26th) or D9018.

• RMweb Premium

J1773 has an interesting little gem hiding in the bottom right of the frame, a gangers rail-cycle! I find it hard to believe that one would still be inuse coming into the '70's!

Cracking shots of the everyday yet again.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J1773 ~ miles and miles into the countryside and someone still walks into your shot! :)

J1773 has an interesting little gem hiding in the bottom right of the frame, a gangers rail-cycle! I find it hard to believe that one would still be inuse coming into the '70's!

Andy G

Didn't M&S do a good range of gentlemen's pullovers with buttons in those days.

Andy G

A reminder that virtually all of the network was really still a steam age railway with diesel trains right through until the 1980s. I always think the launch of Inter City and NSE was the watershed between what was and what is.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic pictures as usual but in pic J1266 Sedbergh is spelt with e's and no u's. It is a stunning looking viaduct though.

Richard

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've no idea how I got that wrong - on my file copy of the image it's correct.  

I think I typed the caption instead of my usual copy and paste when I prepared it for RMWeb.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photos from the north west of England. In the first photo, there is a good rake of carriages to see, including a Thompson SK as the fourth one. I know it was one of those which was transferred between the regions.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

North West England today, mainly on the WCML, with photos taken over almost forty years.

The last photo is, to me, recent, when I looked at it I thought it was only about 5 years ago.  In fact it is one of the last photos I took on film, in 2003.  I bought my first digital camera a few days later.

attachicon.gifh Dillicar troughs BR Class 5 Glasgow to Manchester Aug 65 J305.jpg

Dillicar troughs BR Class 5 Glasgow to Manchester Aug 65 J305

David

Nice shot of a repainted Stanier coach with Maroon ends. Don't think I've seen one that clear before.

Just to go back to the "great number debate" for that 45 a few posts ago. I have a book by the D+EG group, Locomotive Directory 1982, which gives the following DB dates for 45's n the late 60's. (It has been reliable up to now with these dates on other classes)

During 1968;   D12/28/34/53/60/89, D112/29.

During 1969;   D14-7/9/25-7/30/1.

Non of those seem to fit the criteria for the loco in the photo. There are however a number listed that where DB by 1971, but have no date. So it could be one of them.

DB by 1971. (No date);   D21/36/8/46/63/4/8/70/2/4/93/7, D103-5/18/21/34.

Of the above D46 seems to fit the bill, and i have a photo in my collection of it at St Pancras in 1970, still carrying a "D" prefix.

My suggestion for the locos identity is D46

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Nice shot of a repainted Stanier coach with Maroon ends. Don't think I've seen one that clear before.

Just to go back to the "great number debate" for that 45 a few posts ago. I have a book by the D+EG group, Locomotive Directory 1982, which gives the following DB dates for 45's n the late 60's. (It has been reliable up to now with these dates on other classes)

During 1968;   D12/28/34/53/60/89, D112/29.

During 1969;   D14-7/9/25-7/30/1.

Non of those seem to fit the criteria for the loco in the photo. There are however a number listed that where DB by 1971, but have no date. So it could be one of them.

DB by 1971. (No date);   D21/36/8/46/63/4/8/70/2/4/93/7, D103-5/18/21/34.

Of the above D46 seems to fit the bill, and i have a photo in my collection of it at St Pancras in 1970, still carrying a "D" prefix.

My suggestion for the locos identity is D46

Paul J.

According to my notes, retrieved after great effort from the garage in 28 degree heat!

1M91 was worked by loco's as below in June 69;

13th....D140.

14th.....66. (having worked 1M47 St Pancras Manchester on the 13th).

21st....153. (D85 worked 1M47 today).

28th.....69.  (D137 worked 1M47 today).

Mike.