• RMweb Gold

Weird. No filler required then!

No, thank God!. See attached further images.  

Did you add texture to that rusty corner bit Rob (sorry, I have no idea what the technical term for it is!) as it does look superbly realistic in that close up! 

Keith

It's called a corner plate, Keith so not a million miles away. One of my other Crimbo pressies was The 4mm Coal Wagon by John Hayes. Very informative and inspirational. The texture comes from the application of the powders and then the varnish. I then burnish the bolt detail with one of my trusty make up brushes. Sometimes I will just gently rub the detail with the end of my finger.

Rob.

post-14122-0-14988400-1482709625_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-27836800-1482709661_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Rob,

Nice bit of wagon modelling there sir, I can tell you that once the wagon bug bites you'll never look back.

When building the Clayhoods for 'Trevor' another thing I did was replace the moulded safety loops with scrap brass etch, it makes a nice difference. I like the weathering effects as well and as others have said the level of detail is superb for an RTR model.

Cheers

Wayne

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Wayne. You are right, the more I am involved with wagons, the more I am becoming interested in the subject. At the moment I am quite content to weather rtr wagons and do little else to them. However......I have a couple of projects in the wings as it were....Depending on how things go, I might try to get one finished in time for the Cardiff show in January. Either will make a big difference to the layout as they are very peculiar to the area and nit currently available in rtr. One is on the way but if ever the other zis released rtr, I will eat my shoes.

Looking in on your thread I can see that you are making subtle changes to your wagons which are making all the difference. Top modelling mate and very thought provoking.

As an aside, I am properly seduced by the Hornby Peckett and am contemplating an industrial layout. Never thought about this before but that little engine is fab.

Given the lifespan of Dodo I could even do something pre-grouping......mmmm..... Cambrian L&SWR vans.......

Oh dear.......industrial layout.......Mutton, ex L&SWR through station.......That looks like 2017 is sorted for new layout projects.

Mutton will be a through station and I have set up a separate topic but I am wondering if I will just carry on posting on here rather than split matters up.

In terms of an industrial layout, I have no plan or industry in mind. Watch this space though.

I am thinking another LACK shelf from IKEA should do the trick and use the same fiddle yard as Sheep Lane. A few well chosen ready to plant buildings and way to go. At £10.00 a 110x26x5cm LACK shelf will hardly break the bank.

We shall see........

Rob

• Like 5

Hi, Wayne. You are right, the more I am involved with wagons, the more I am becoming interested in the subject. At the moment I am quite content to weather rtr wagons and do little else to them. However......I have a couple of projects in the wings as it were....Depending on how things go, I might try to get one finished in time for the Cardiff show in January. Either will make a big difference to the layout as they are very peculiar to the area and nit currently available in rtr. One is on the way but if ever the other zis released rtr, I will eat my shoes.

Looking in on your thread I can see that you are making subtle changes to your wagons which are making all the difference. Top modelling mate and very thought provoking.

Haha! Sounds like the bug has been biting!

I find wagons a very interesting subject and one I could talk about for hours, I was giving the other half a lesson in TOPS codes the other week following a question she posed.

Well the level of detail in rtr freight stock is very good these days so it's perfectly fine to weather them and not do much else, I think like with most things in our hobby it comes down to personal choice. I always try to add subtle detail differences when I can, although many wagons are very much 'work a day' so you don't want too much difference in a train. Another thing that helps is that I'll always try to model a particular vehicle from a photo to the best of my abilities, of course you wont find one of every single wagon that was ever out there so sometimes you have to make the odd educated guess.

Your plans sound interesting, I do like a bit of industrial steam and have been really tempted to get myself a J94 and make a little plank. I even have some Airfix 16t mineral kits in the loft somewhere.... Oh dear, here we go!

Wayne

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am properly seduced by the Hornby Peckett and am contemplating an industrial layout. Never thought about this before but that little engine is fab.

In terms of an industrial layout, I have no plan or industry in mind. Watch this space though.

Rob,

It doesn't have to be an industrial layout as such, think 'light railway!'.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, CK. I will keep my options open. Just fancy something for Dodo to play on, other than Sheep Lane of course.

Had a tinker and tried my hand at producing a freelance yard lamp for Sheep Lane. I knocked it up from bits and bobs.

Not sure but quite pleased with the first attempt. I think it will look better once a bit of paint has been blobbed on.

post-14122-0-89291700-1482869254_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

There are some lovely images out there in relation to industrial lines. Not all are 'Dark satanic mills' etc.

This is sort of thing I am looking at.......

post-14122-0-56817700-1482870834_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-92051500-1482870996_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-49450500-1482871023.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

There are some lovely images out there in relation to industrial lines. Not all are 'Dark satanic mills' etc.

That last picture is still recognisable today.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3482191,-2.0949187,3a,30y,102.43h,88.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sscorwOgjUUHmLtYT2NuxAA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, CK. I will keep my options open. Just fancy something for Dodo to play on, other than Sheep Lane of course.

Had a tinker and tried my hand at producing a freelance yard lamp for Sheep Lane. I knocked it up from bits and bobs.

Not sure but quite pleased with the first attempt. I think it will look better once a bit of paint has been blobbed on.

Superb. Is the top bit a coathanger hook?

• RMweb Gold

Superb. Is the top bit a coathanger hook?

Evening, Andrew. It is a bit thick, I grant you. It's actually a paper clip. This is the Mk 1. I may well try a Mk 2 and try some thinner tubing as I think it would look better. I also want a more traditional gas lamp so will start work on these this week.

I am also looking at a rail built loading gauge which I hope to finish by 21st Jan.

We shall see.

post-14122-0-60421100-1482945692.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, I've been marvelling at those corner plates, superb weathering work and great shots.

Some serious vegetation there, quite different from your current layout! A great opportunity to show a W4 in a slightly "different" context. 

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mikkel, most kind.

Industrial layouts are quiet often grim but lots were very rural affairs.

I have been experimenting with building some more lamps. Freelance but based on a swan neck jobbie. This is the first. The location is not finalised so this may not be where it ends up.

Rob.

post-14122-0-59204700-1483198742_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-02273800-1483198775_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The lamp looks great Rob. If I may make one observation/suggestion it would be that there looks to be slightly too much bracket above the lamp head. I would think the lamp head would start at the end of the 180' curve.

Thanks,Colin. This is an ongoing experiment. I will alter the next and take it from there.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

What technique did you use to weather the car Rob ? I have an Austin that needs doing.

To be honest Rob, I am not happy with Murray.

I used powders then sprayed with Matt acrylic varnish. This frosted the windows and wheels. If done again I would strip the subject down and then weather.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Morning to all. Can I take the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year and good health, wealth and happiness in 2017.

Thank you all for the advice, encouragement and banter which has turned Sheep Lane into a little community of it's very own.

Norman sends his kind regards and best wishes and looks forward to pointing his equipment at more interesting subjects in 2017......sorry 1961......

Kindest regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

To be honest Rob, I am not happy with Murray.

I used powders then sprayed with Matt acrylic varnish. This frosted the windows and wheels. If done again I would strip the subject down and then weather.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

If it's not possible to get the glazing out without damage, you could apply some Humbrol Maskol to them before spraying. If you're not familiar with this it's a liquid masking solution which just peels away when dry.

http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/maskol-28ml-bottle.html

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year by the way and will look forward to seeing Sheep Lane at the show.