Forum slow to load, internal links too.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Some of us do know what we are talking about.

Unless you know details from within our business and the communications with stakeholders you don't. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

I'm no expert when it comes to host thingamy jigs and computers but you don't see other well known forums having these problems.

All forums will have technical issues at some point or another.

Bear in mind the overall size, number of users, traffic levels and storage (we're talking millions of images) - you won't be comparing like with like.

I am not denying changes or improvements need to be made and there are discussions in progress but it's of no help whatsoever when armchair experts sit there saying should be done. It is. But it doesn't happen overnight.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

I'm no expert when it comes to host thingamy jigs and computers but you don't see other well known forums having these problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"I don't see the forums I frequent having these problems" - fixed it for you.

Type2.com has been poorly for months in a way that would be the end for most forums. But then it's only got a few thousand VW van fans and been running since the 1990s. It's coming back now, but the rebuild has (apparenlty) been a struggle.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if this is related to the slow issues but I've noticed that often when I get to the bottom of a page and I select the next page (either by number or the next button) I get taken to either the mid point of the next page or the bottom. Not a big problem but I thought it worth mentioning in case it's linked.

Also should say re. slowness that a touch of perspective (and patience) wouldn't hurt; I remember dial up and how long pages took to load then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have the same issue at home (Firefox on Linux) but not at work (Chrome on W7). I thought it might be a recent update, so interesting to find someone else experiencing it as well.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Yes, next page always loads at the bottom of the new page for me - Firefox on OS Monterey.

It's worth checking the chosen behaviour in your settings https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/settings/links/ to eliminate that as a cause.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's worth checking the chosen behaviour in your settings https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/settings/links/ to eliminate that as a cause.

Very odd, I'd not changed anything there to prompt it to always go to the bottom (show latest ticked) and changing it to show first unread has solved the issue. It's almost as if something was changed as a default but I'm sure that isn't really the case.

• RMweb Premium

Got to say that my bad day at the office with systems playing up it feels like a walk in the park compared to what you go through on a daily basis at the moment.  Sadly modern life appears at times to have lost the patience we had in the 90s and before. Thank you for what you do. 

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Neil said:

Also should say re. slowness that a touch of perspective (and patience) wouldn't hurt; I remember dial up and how long pages took to load then.

Bulletin boards on 300bits/sec lines.:good:

I'm still getting the problem of a submitted post not saving, then "submit reply" re-appears, I click it again and get two copies of the post submitted. If I don't click it nothing is submitted (or doesn't seem to be)

I notice some others getting two or three copies of their replies.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I'm still getting the problem of a submitted post not saving, then "submit reply" re-appears, I click it again and get two copies of the post submitted. If I don't click it nothing is submitted (or doesn't seem to be)

I notice some others getting two or three copies of their replies.

I submitted a post, got the greyed-out "saving" so went away and read War & Peace from cover to cover, came back and found it still hadn't posted, but there was a red message telling me not to post again for 47 seconds. 

Messages that were well-intentioned in ordinary times become quite barbed now. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Actually, I quite like the "lottery element" of good old RMweb at the moment, adds a bit of excitement to one's day I think.

Also it sort of echoes so many other aspects of life, ie its imperfection, unexpectedness, randomness, repetitiveness, which is also quite endearing.

Anyway, it hasn't stopped lots of people posting the usual nonsense, so it can't be all that bad!! (myself included, obvs)

Seriously, I feel for the folk wrestling with the enormous dung beetle that has got into the works, good luck chaps!

And I loved the way that CK's pm to many folk about the late Grahame Hitchen appeared to have broken the forum in sending out multiple and confusing notifications, it certainly confused me!

That would have made Grahame chuckle I think!

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Seriously, I feel for the folk wrestling with the enormous dung beetle that has got into the works, good luck chaps!

Me too.  I've been an RMWebber for a few years now, and

seen the team have deal with more than a few problems,

but this one must really have Andy tearing his hair out. :)

• Agree 4

Am I the only one not seeing photos in forum posts? This is happening both on my desktop computer and iPhone. Maybe this is a symptom of work going on to try to fix the speed issues?

Edited by LimboBrit