British outline 1:120 TT from Heljan

Tartaruga

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

£199 though. That’s a hefty price tag. Hopefully it’ll live up to it, as it could be a good size to model in

Only a bit more than Farish diesels are at the moment in N. And considering the smaller production run, not unreasonable. Especially as some people on the Peco thread were talking about £500. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

29 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Please bear in mind that this is a small production run for what is, at the moment, a very small niche market. The smaller the production, the higher the unit cost. If it proves successful we will hopefully be able to increase production quantities and pass on those savings. 

as I said, hopefully it’ll live up to it reading the spec, it wasn’t a complaint, just that it needs to seem value for money, and of course, it needs stock to match

Edited by 47606odin

It is interesting that the class 31 and 08 diesels were in the Tri-ang TT range in 1959. Perhaps we will see some nostalgic purchases. 

I can remember seeing the Tri-ang TT range when it came out.  At the Children's Shop at Orpington there were two ovals of track: one outside the other. The outer track had Tri-ang 00 gauge on a grey base and Tri-ang TT gauge on a brown base.  A yellow diesel switcher ran on the outer oval with some Transcontinental goods wagons while a TT gauge Jinty ran with some suburban coaches on the inner circuit. To see them running you had to put 6p in the slot machine but I never did this: I used to wait until someone else did.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

It is interesting that the class 31 and 08 diesels were in the Tri-ang TT range in 1959. Perhaps we will see some nostalgic purchases. 

I can remember seeing the Tri-ang TT range when it came out.  At the Children's Shop at Orpington there were two ovals of track: one outside the other. The outer track had Tri-ang 00 gauge on a grey base and Tri-ang TT gauge on a brown base.  A yellow diesel switcher ran on the outer oval with some Transcontinental goods wagons while a TT gauge Jinty ran with some suburban coaches on the inner circuit. To see them running you had to put 6p in the slot machine but I never did this: I used to wait until someone else did.

Did you use to sit in science in the pub waiting for some one to put the juke box on!

• Funny 1

56 minutes ago, 61661 said:

Please bear in mind that this is a small production run for what is, at the moment, a very small niche market. The smaller the production, the higher the unit cost. If it proves successful we will hopefully be able to increase production quantities and pass on those savings. 

Totally agree Ben and we'll done on having a go! Hopefully a few coaches or wagons to follow?

Always difficult judging a market but then again I was surprised on how popular O RTR became. Hopefully similar for TT!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 61661 said:

To be honest I thought the price was pretty reasonable - certainly compared to latest production 00 from Hornby and Bachmann and the 009 from yourselves and others. Ideally there needs to be appropriate stock available at the same time and I guess this will come from yourselves or one of the other players. As it stands 'out of the box' we have the rudiments of a Western region branch and a Brush type 2 so far which is intriguing though also a little limiting :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 61661 said:

Please bear in mind that this is a small production run for what is, at the moment, a very small niche market.

I think it's great that you're taking a risk on something new and entirely unproven. 

The price seems fair on a risk / reward basis. 🙂

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Totally agree Ben and we'll done on having a go! Hopefully a few coaches or wagons to follow?

Always difficult judging a market but then again I was surprised on how popular O RTR became. Hopefully similar for TT!

Class 104 dmu for full nostalgia! Just don't copy under length triang MK1's 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

It is interesting that the class 31 and 08 diesels were in the Tri-ang TT range in 1959.

Those TOPS class numbers didn't exist in 1959 and both Tri-ang's Brush Type 2s were Mirrlees engined, so became Class 30 until rebuilding to Class 31.

The shunter might be a useful chassis for 00n12  with it's outside frames, or even for 2ft gauge in 1:48 scale.

• Like 1

Class 08? Called it!

Austerity is also an excellent choice, given how widespread they were in industry. And it has the potential to sell in Europe thanks to their wartime escapades.

I have no strong opinions on the Class 31, but I have no doubt that it's a good choice, given their popularity in other scales.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Did you use to sit in science in the pub waiting for some one to put the juke box on!

I’d have learnt a lot more if I’d been in your class.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Methinks BB's spell checker is not listening..........

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

W&S Stamp in the Old Kent Road used to have a slot for an old penny.  They would hear the coin drop and turn on the controller and a train would run around the shop window.  Not sure what happened after new money.  Maybe they had good hearing or perhaps the price went up to Five New Pence - the start of inflation!

I think this is great news hopefully we will see more types etc. Nowadays models in all scales start as 3D designs it should be a simple process to either scale down or scale up a model to suit. The same should apply to mechanism as well. I for one will consider the new euro TT as for me N is just too small. Yes when I was young my Dad had the original TT we had an 08 a Brush type 2 a couple of jinties a Merchant Navy and two Castle class plus coaches and wagons.

Keith

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have to admit the idea of the J94 appeals more to me, I hope Peco respond with some more of their planned wagons to be announced that fit with the 31. Certainly some room for 3D printed ranges to jump in with wagons too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2