Hornby W1 Hush Hush

truffy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, reddragon said:

I have with regret just cancelled my order. The price increase was so significant on my pre-order to put in into the realms of a Accurascale DCC Sound Manor.

Hornby must be made to regret some of their recent actions.

IMHO an irrational response.

Do you think that Hornby should not be allowed to increase their prices when costs increase?

Hornby are not alone in having steep price increases, have you not been following the cost of living reports in the media?

Costs in China have skyrocketed, along with shipping costs as well as wages and other costs in the UK.

Do you think that Accurascale will be immune from the cost rises everyone else is facing?

They reserve the right to increase the price on preorders if costs go up:

Prices

"All prices are displayed inclusive of VAT and are payable in Pounds Sterling.

Unless otherwise specified prices payable for the goods are exclusive of delivery and are subject to our right to require payment of delivery charges, insurance costs, customs duties, special handling charges and/or packaging charges as appropriate.

We have the right at any time to revise prices to take into account increases in costs including (without limitation) costs of agreed changes in any taxes, duties, levies or exchange rates or costs arising as a result of site conditions, delays, interruptions, lack of information and any other factor beyond our control."

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, McC said:

We’ve not increased  any of our prices other than the class 92 which was increased due to a specification increase. 

We have zero intention of raising our prices and have multiple launches coming up that are at the same prices of items already on sale. 

You can buy our Deltic still for delivery in a few weeks, for £160 DCC ready and £250 with sound, including LokSound v5, full PowerPack Stayalive, and two large bass speakers on board. 

Make of that what you will about costs but anything we're delivering in the next 18-24 months, has been commenced and planned at -least- 24-30 months ago, longer in some cases, and plans, hedging and contracts in place since then. 

Good to hear.

You must be about the only place that isn't increasing prices.

On that basis I've just ordered a Manor

Edited by melmerby
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, melmerby said:

IMHO an irrational response.

Do you think that Hornby should not be allowed to increase their prices when costs increase?

Hornby are not alone in having steep price increases, have you not been following the cost of living reports in the media?

Costs in China have skyrocketed, along with shipping costs as well as wages and other costs in the UK.

Do you think that Accurascale will be immune from the cost rises everyone else is facing?

They reserve the right to increase the price on preorders if costs go up:

Prices

"All prices are displayed inclusive of VAT and are payable in Pounds Sterling.

Unless otherwise specified prices payable for the goods are exclusive of delivery and are subject to our right to require payment of delivery charges, insurance costs, customs duties, special handling charges and/or packaging charges as appropriate.

We have the right at any time to revise prices to take into account increases in costs including (without limitation) costs of agreed changes in any taxes, duties, levies or exchange rates or costs arising as a result of site conditions, delays, interruptions, lack of information and any other factor beyond our control."

£241 for a DCC ready loco, without lights, firebox flicker, floating rear pony truck, no dedicated speaker or capacitors and only 8-pin?

An Accurascale Manor is £260 with all that and sound fitted!

Irrational to you maybe, but as wonderful as the W1 seems, it is now in a price range out of step with its quality.

W1 cancelled, Manor to be ordered instead!

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, reddragon said:

£241 for a DCC ready loco, without lights, firebox flicker, floating rear pony truck, no dedicated speaker or capacitors and only 8-pin?

An Accurascale Manor is £260 with all that and sound fitted!

Irrational to you maybe, but as wonderful as the W1 seems, it is now in a price range out of step with its quality.

W1 cancelled, Manor to be ordered instead!

If you want to use that flawed criteria.

Manor: Where are the lights? Where is the rear truck? Oh It doesn't have any..........:D

It's like comparing apples and bananas

As to regards the 8 pin socket, I would guess most would be happy with that as most do not want sound and 8 pin is fine.

As an aside, IMHO an MTC21 is behind the times, it is considered obsolescent and the Plux22 as the replacement, they are the same profile connectors but reversed. By moving the detent to the centre 3 different size decoder formats can be used with the same socket layout, however some manufacturers are going with the NeXt 18, which is much smaller.

• Funny 1

Evening all,

Hoping someone may be able to offer some advice. I've just taken delivery of a 60700 but there is a minor assembly fault on it, the chimney is sitting about 1mm high leaving daylight between it and the body (se photo). I have tried to see if the chimney is loose or can be pushed down and it is fixed very tightly. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

It was the last one from the shop I got it from and being only a very minor issue I'd like to be able to fix it. Any suggestions welcome.

IMG_20220121_191234948_HDR.jpg.dba4f32d712e1bc91c978cfa44053792.jpg

Edited by Karl

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that's probably a case of removing it first (if possible) to make sure any locating lugs/holes haven't got glue in the wrong places.

Once rectified it should be easy to refit it, properly seated.

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I would suggest that's probably a case of removing it first (if possible) to make sure any locating lugs/holes haven't got glue in the wrong places.

Thanks, I'll try that.

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Seconded. I bought a second-hand Hornby A4 off eBay a couple of years ago with a similarly mis-fitted chimney. Carefully prised it off with a flathead screwdriver, slimmed down the locating lugs on the underside with a craft knife so they fitted more easily into the holes on the bodyshell itself, then pressed it home. Didn't even need any glue. 

Collected my rebuilt LNER blue W1 and the ‘promotional’ green unrebuilt example last weekend. The latter was a real indulgence pre-ordered during deep into lockdown, and I thought I might regret a fictional indulgence after the grey ones suffered damage...

IMG_6674.jpg.a036929c756b913ad4b412f3f01aa169.jpg

Both models were immaculate. Now this shouldn’t be a surprise or constitute an achievement – it should be the standard way of things when paying £200+ for a locomotive, but I’d be quick to complain if I had faulty models so only right to give credit where credit is due. I wish everyone else luck receiving equally intact models.

IMG_6675.jpg.f21ccf835bf47b5ff1ce5e34375e9fc0.jpg

IMG_6676.jpg.991fb690adec6d65670963baea12799e.jpg

Like my grey no. 10000, both were unusually noisy when running in but seemed to settle down after at least 30 mins on the rolling road. I still think it’s disappointing not to have a 3-link front coupling in the detail pack, or a footplate crew, and with lamps being standard-fit to the water-boiler models for me they’re a conspicuous omission from the conventional boiler loco.

IMG_6678.jpg.bdb42e699a585b68618bcc53533af3be.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg.3c9185dbd40c77a277a054c829385bdf.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg.574a0aa9ca09f42d4dc07860395038f8.jpg

Suppose I am in the minority for wishing Hornby would spend its margin on giving us crew and lamps to fit, rather than fiddling with unconvincing smoke and sound effects.

Interesting to compare this rendition of Doncaster apple green to the lighter, more pea-green shade applied to the A2/3s. But who’s going to nitpick over a livery the engine never really wore…

IMG_6680.jpg.0361e8cc245e520a81b0191cbf134f60.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg.8945155f8fd9b3a96961bd5e6e774401.jpg

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Karl said:

Evening all,

Hoping someone may be able to offer some advice. I've just taken delivery of a 60700 but there is a minor assembly fault on it, the chimney is sitting about 1mm high leaving daylight between it and the body (se photo). I have tried to see if the chimney is loose or can be pushed down and it is fixed very tightly. Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

It was the last one from the shop I got it from and being only a very minor issue I'd like to be able to fix it. Any suggestions welcome.

IMG_20220121_191234948_HDR.jpg.dba4f32d712e1bc91c978cfa44053792.jpg

Hi

I agree with the other comments, remove existing double chimney and refit.

If by chance it does get damaged due to removal there are various suppliers where you can obtain a replacement in both white metal or resin options.

Good luck.

Regards

David

Thanks for the advice @melmerby, @OliverBytham, @landscapes and @micklner. I have tried that this morning but it sadly appears to be a bigger issue. I don't know if this is the same as the A4s but the chimney is metal and has a metal cylinder at the rear than runs down through the engine and the front body fixing screw screws into this. It appears to be that that is too long so making the chimney sit high and/or the opening for the chimney mounting itself is too small so it is not clipping in. Not sure I want to start girding metal off and opening up the mounting holes as I could easily damage the paint work.

• RMweb Gold

My BR version of the W1 arrived today and I'm thrilled to bits with it. I travelled a few miles behind it in my childhood in the late 50s so it evokes happy memories!

Curiously the tender draw bar has two distance adjustments but the shorter distance can't be used as the mazak chassis gets in the way. The instruction sheet says that for a shorter connection, just turn it round, but as can be seen the electrical plug gets in the way! Not a problem really as it will just be shortened.

20220122_114549.jpg.f8f89e0d51829a72bc0e60230144c855.jpg

20220122_131117.jpg.0def9c5620859a893a0131c487fa6aaa.jpg

The plan is to convert it to P4 using the Brassmasters A4 chassis overlays, some investigation will be needed first! Not being a 'collector', weathering similar to below will be done so it will look like how I remember it. Being unarticulated, the bogie and Cartazzi(?) truck looks like it'll have to be remade

ctsy wiki/google

1881721316_60700W1a.jpg.89cf399dc97cbe06f014d6a73ff548a1.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, OliverBytham said:

Collected my rebuilt LNER blue W1 and the ‘promotional’ green unrebuilt example last weekend. The latter was a real indulgence pre-ordered during deep into lockdown, and I thought I might regret a fictional indulgence after the grey ones suffered damage...

IMG_6674.jpg.a036929c756b913ad4b412f3f01aa169.jpg

Both models were immaculate. Now this shouldn’t be a surprise or constitute an achievement – it should be the standard way of things when paying £200+ for a locomotive, but I’d be quick to complain if I had faulty models so only right to give credit where credit is due. I wish everyone else luck receiving equally intact models.

IMG_6675.jpg.f21ccf835bf47b5ff1ce5e34375e9fc0.jpg

IMG_6676.jpg.991fb690adec6d65670963baea12799e.jpg

Like my grey no. 10000, both were unusually noisy when running in but seemed to settle down after at least 30 mins on the rolling road. I still think it’s disappointing not to have a 3-link front coupling in the detail pack, or a footplate crew, and with lamps being standard-fit to the water-boiler models for me they’re a conspicuous omission from the conventional boiler loco.

IMG_6678.jpg.bdb42e699a585b68618bcc53533af3be.jpg

IMG_6679.jpg.3c9185dbd40c77a277a054c829385bdf.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg.574a0aa9ca09f42d4dc07860395038f8.jpg

Suppose I am in the minority for wishing Hornby would spend its margin on giving us crew and lamps to fit, rather than fiddling with unconvincing smoke and sound effects.

Interesting to compare this rendition of Doncaster apple green to the lighter, more pea-green shade applied to the A2/3s. But who’s going to nitpick over a livery the engine never really wore…

IMG_6680.jpg.0361e8cc245e520a81b0191cbf134f60.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg.8945155f8fd9b3a96961bd5e6e774401.jpg

It may be a work of fiction, which rules it out for me, but I have to admit that it looks magnificent. I notice that the trailing and tender wheels are black. Whilst that looks odd to me, I noticed that Bachmann’s V2 is the same. Skimming through Haresnape  and the Green Book, I can find no mention of wheels on green locomotives being anything other than green and photographs are little help. I wonder if Hornby and Bachmann have been misled by photographs of wheels part-hidden and shaded by outside axleboxes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks @OliverBythamfor the photos. I was undecided, but just ordered LNER blue W1 after seeing yours and Tony Wright's photographs.

Good price as well.

As below - great chat and service, the old fashioned way via telephone order

image.png.2bba754c5ec3c8ff5174085780c1ffa6.png

Edited by zr2498
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

My BR version of the W1 arrived today and I'm thrilled to bits with it. I travelled a few miles behind it in my childhood in the late 50s so it evokes happy memories!

Curiously the tender draw bar has two distance adjustments but the shorter distance can't be used as the mazak chassis gets in the way. The instruction sheet says that for a shorter connection, just turn it round, but as can be seen the electrical plug gets in the way! Not a problem really as it will just be shortened.

As I pointed out earlier, you can see from the outline drawing that something has changed along the way and a proposed CCU fitting on the loco has vanished and the original tender arrangement has also changed, however the coupling bar is as original and no longer fits properly.

I will make a new one for mine that is intermediate in length, so that the tender is closer but will still negotiate my curves.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

The plan is to convert it to P4 using the Brassmasters A4 chassis overlays, some investigation will be needed first! Not being a 'collector', weathering similar to below will be done so it will look like how I remember it. Being unarticulated, the bogie and Cartazzi(?) truck looks like it'll have to be remade

ctsy wiki/google

I think you've got a bit of a challenge ahead. 

The Hornby mainframe casting under the cab is about the correct width but no doubt due to the thickness needed to make it durable the inside clearance is likely going to be less than prototype.

Earlier we saw the DJH model and they have widened the frames under the cab to allow enough clearance for a 4 wheel bogie to swing.

What radius of curve will the P4'd W1 be required to negotiate?

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It may be a work of fiction, which rules it out for me, but I have to admit that it looks magnificent. I notice that the trailing and tender wheels are black. Whilst that looks odd to me, I noticed that Bachmann’s V2 is the same. Skimming through Haresnape  and the Green Book, I can find no mention of wheels on green locomotives being anything other than green and photographs are little help. I wonder if Hornby and Bachmann have been misled by photographs of wheels part-hidden and shaded by outside axleboxes.

Tender wheels Black. Loco all Green.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

In OliverBytham’s close up of the cab from side on, the rear trailing wheel is clearly black. The front one is hidden. Is there inconsistency in the models?

Both trailing wheels on the green W1 as modelled by Hornby are black. Just checked a few other Hornby models and found black trailing wheels on LNER A3s and A2/3s.

• Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Thanks @OliverBythamfor the photos. I was undecided, but just ordered LNER blue W1 after seeing yours and Tony Wright's photographs.

Good price as well.

As below - great chat and service, the old fashioned way via telephone order

image.png.2bba754c5ec3c8ff5174085780c1ffa6.png

I got mine from Arcadia on THursday..  Went down to see what Tim had in, came out with this … my card slipped out my wallet and into the card machine by mistake :D ;) 

Edited by Tiddles47
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

I think you've got a bit of a challenge ahead. 

The Hornby mainframe casting under the cab is about the correct width but no doubt due to the thickness needed to make it durable the inside clearance is likely going to be less than prototype.

Earlier we saw the DJH model and they have widened the frames under the cab to allow enough clearance for a 4 wheel bogie to swing.

What radius of curve will the P4'd W1 be required to negotiate?

Indeed, you could be right! The minimum radius curve is just over 6ft. Looking at things, much more 'on track' investigation will be needed! I'm thinking that some major removal of the mazak will be necessary.

23 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

ctsy wiki/google

1881721316_60700W1a.jpg.89cf399dc97cbe06f014d6a73ff548a1.jpg

Can you not just snip off the outer ring of the figure of eight shaped end,in other words,the bit marked in red on the Hornby diagram below? Should fit ok then 

• Thanks 1