EBay madness

Marcyg

Plus he wants £20 to send it to me - Hattons never charge more than a third of that figure.

Same here but you'd be a bigger fool to pay his asking price let alone the postage.

I wonder does he see any problem with his listings or does he actually sell anything ?

Well its still £20 to here :O

Ah, well such is life in a foreign land ;) Sorry only just spotted your location.

This one strikes me as another one of those BIN items specifically targeted at overseas bidders or those who believe the word RARE or simply are prepared to pay MRPs or thereabouts. I have seen worse inflation, good luck to him, it only takes one to fall for it or may still see it as an opportunity (perhaps with some unfathomable dislike of discount houses).

I've just "won" a French Railway timetable and allowing for inflation I must have paid at least five times the list price. What's worse,the times of trains have changed quite a lot in the past sixty years and most of the lines I wanted to travel on seem to have been dismantled. The timetable is completely out of date and useless so what madness induced me to bid for it ? :no:

• Like 2

I've just "won" a French Railway timetable and allowing for inflation I must have paid at least five times the list price. What's worse,the times of trains have changed quite a lot in the past sixty years and most of the lines I wanted to travel on seem to have been dismantled. The timetable is completely out of date and useless so what madness induced me to bid for it ? :no:

Whatever you do, don't catch the train from Pau to Canfranc!

Surprisingly he does. Check his completed listings:

http://www.ebay.co.u...mplete=1&_sop=3

Surprisingly he does sell very well. I'm not suggesting that his items aren't of very good quality because they are but the prices are at the top end of the market & in quite a few instances well over.

Its his postage prices which get me. He's even worse than the NRM & that's saying something.

I suppose you can't blame him for doing it as he's obviously doing well out of it.

Who is this DAVID Lawrence ? Our friend still seems to sell them though - perhaps the buyers think they would have to pay more if they were credited correctly to DEREK Lawrence ?

Also I'm certain that Danny Pinnock did'nt retail most of those non Eastern coaches.

But hey - ho a jolly profit being made by our friend on wrongly described items.

Edited by DerekEm8

• RMweb Gold

Over a hundred quid with about 2 hours to go. Obviously a Scenecraft item that's flown off the shelves but a quick search shows Antics online and Kernow (maybe others as well) with it in the low £50's + p/p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-SCENECRAFT-OO-44-017-MODERN-SERVICING-DEPOT-/190701392409?_trksid=p3984.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D744219848586787828&_qi=RTM1066542

pardon my ebay ignorance, but what exactly is a snipe program?

I looked further down and couldn't see that anyone had replied.

A snipe programme is designed to place an E bay bid for you usually seconds before the auction closes. The idea is to keep your bid a secret until the last minute to prevent shill bidders from getting involved too early.

The best way to use these snipeR programmes ( to give them a better connotation ) is to enter your maximum bid and walk away. You win more than you lose but certain areas and some items are prone to bidding frenzy. Even so a level headed approach and a search for another item that you can get at the right price is the name of the game. Consistent loss of a particular item means that either you have been spotted as a keen buyer up to a certain price and are targeted by shill bidders to maximise selling price or that you are underbidding or bidding far too early.

I looked further down and couldn't see that anyone had replied.

A snipe programme is designed to place an E bay bid for you usually seconds before the auction closes. The idea is to keep your bid a secret until the last minute to prevent shill bidders from getting involved too early.

the one I use strikes in the last 3 seconds of the auction.

Other great advantages are:

You can set up to bid on a chain of items so if you win the first one your bid on the next one is cancelled (down your chain of linked bids) that way you can make a bid on the first item and the next (and the next) dependent on you nnot winning the first ... Something ebay doesn't give you.

You do not have to sit in front of the PC at all hours of the day and night waiting for your poor broadband connection to refresh before hitting the mouse button too late.

You only pay a snipe fee on the ones where the bid goes in. If your bid is under the amount being bid at the time you do not get charged.

But you do have to put in a bid that is going to win - obviously.

It doesn't stop you bidding on ebay as well - you cannot overbid yourself. This is good for when you know the real value of something and are prepared to pay it (or slightly less).

Oh, and you can cancel your bid in a snipe program if you change your mind (up to a lock in time eg 5mins) something else unavailable in ebay. Good if you find another item better or cheaper or less "RARE".

Also the seller, doesn't see you coming.

In fact it makes you wonder why everyone doesn't use a snipe bidding system .... sealed envelope bidding anyone?

Edited by Kenton

Wills. But you already knew that!

Unless it was the N7/2 or N7/3, in which case it might be by Stelfox.

What makes you think I already knew? I have no idea, nor do any of the members of my club, or anyone else I've asked. You do know it's O gauge?

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here's the listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271021164088?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_500wt_1202

• RMweb Premium

I'd be in the market for these, but at this eye-watering B.I.N...

http://www.ebay.co.u...ed#ht_584wt_922

"Good usable condition"....... ? I know trains can sometimes run late, but not as late as 1968.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

"Good usable condition"....... ? I know trains can sometimes run late, but not as late as 1968.

Cheers,

Mick

Hehehehe - didn't you hear, the Waverley never actually closed, it's just subject to a long and overrunning T3 possession...

I wonder how many times this one's done the rounds? I first saw it appear on eBay over a year ago at £120, and still nobody wants it, even with a reduction of a whole ten quid......

Maybe after a few more years and substantial reductions to a more realistic start price - say £12 - I and others be tempted to bid. The way some kits go it would probably end up pretty close to that figure - after all it does include wheels and motor!

There are a couple of kits I'm watching that the seller has had up at least twice before - and I have bid on. Each time the auction has been cancelled at the last minute with quite respectable prices, with many bids - this time he's really blown it though. The starting price is well over the top and guess what - zero bids. He has probably driven away all the previous buyers who like me think there is something fidhy about cancelling not once but twice and relisting.