Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Best I can do

Into service Feb 1962

June 1962

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p321813950/h3e81524e#h3e81524e

Aug 1966

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p321813950/h2844f6dc#h2844f6dc

Yes it definitely had a recess, but never fitted with the actual equipment (I think!)

D8028-34 were delivered new to Kittybrewster and Inverness (28 and 29 had a brief spell at Leith Central) and worked over many lines in the north east where the tablet catcher would have been useful, D8070-8116 were delivered new to Eastfied, D8117 - 8127 to Polmadie, and would not have worked over many lines where a tablet was used.

Jim

Sorry for the delay just seen the photo of Monkhouse and Brown and agree that it would make a good background in modelling my question,as a steel stockholder were they rail connected ? Dennis

The OS One-inch, Seventh Series, 1952-1961 map shows sidings in that complex. See one of my favourite old map sites: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=54.9706&lon=-1.7245&layers=11&b=1

Although on further inspection I may have got the wrong complex. I was looking east of the station not west. Ooops!

This link (I think) shows the right location. http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=54.9667&lon=-1.7150&layers=168&b=1

Edited by 60021 Pen-y-Ghent

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the delay just seen the photo of Monkhouse and Brown and agree that it would make a good background in modelling my question,as a steel stockholder were they rail connected ? Dennis

Dennis,

I think it was rail connected but cannot be sure.  It would have been before I moved to the north east.

Pen-y-Ghent got there before me!

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Southside photos. The wagons make an amazing sight in the first photo’ - I’m assuming they were still in use, if only internally. If so, they must have been some of the last, if not the last, wagons dating back to NER days.

And can anyone have a guess at the Deltic identity in C5160. I enlarged the photo, but can’t quite manage to make out either the name or number.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Originally Blaydon Iron Works, one single siding.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/418238/563555/13/100765

and from:

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW047791

post-508-0-25425200-1516726834_thumb.jpg

P

• Like 10

Many thanks for the information about the tablet catcher recess in the Class 20s.

Now for today's photos, all taken at Southside which as you all know is (and the junction was) south of Warkworth on the ECML in Northumberland.

attachicon.gifSouthside Class 55 down Aug 80 C5160.jpg

Southside Class 55 down Aug 80 C5160

David

And can anyone have a guess at the Deltic identity in C5160. I enlarged the photo, but can’t quite manage to make out either the name or number.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I think the candidates based on the name are either 55005 or 55010, the latter having only one nameplate at this time. Number is indistinct but last digit looks to be same as first and lettering a better match for 55005, so that's my choice.

Edited by Western Glory

Hi, Dave. I like the latest Southside photos. The wagons make an amazing sight in the first photo’ - I’m assuming they were still in use, if only internally. If so, they must have been some of the last, if not the last, wagons dating back to NER days.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I believe the wooden-bodied hoppers nearest the camera were local rebuilds of steel-built hoppers, and relative youngsters. There a quite a few visible here:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/hawthornwagons with a build date in the mid 1950s. There is one wagon to a NE design; the one with no obvious hopper. I believe the wood re-bodies were done because wood doesn't rot through as quickly as steel plate, and the rebodying could be done by the colliery carpenters.

I think the candidates based on the name are either 55005 or 55010, the latter having only one nameplate at this time. Number is indistinct but last digit looks to be same as first and lettering a better match for 55005, so that's my choice.

Yes. It's got to be 55 005.

The nameplate is the wrong style for it to be anything but an ex-Gateshead loco. Excluding 55 008, which had a single line nameplate, the spacing of the words in the name is wrong for 55 011 or 55 017. Although the spacing of the words on the plates was fairly similar in layout, by August 1980 the twin windscreen wipers had been removed from 55 002 and 55 014 and replaced by a single, centrally positioned wiper. 55 005, however, retained its twin wipers until withdrawal in 1981.

• RMweb Gold

Yes. It's got to be 55 005.

The nameplate is the wrong style for it to be anything but an ex-Gateshead loco. Excluding 55 008, which had a single line nameplate, the spacing of the words in the name is wrong for 55 011 or 55 017. Although the spacing of the words on the plates was fairly similar in layout, by August 1980 the twin windscreen wipers had been removed from 55 002 and 55 014 and replaced by a single, centrally positioned wiper. 55 005, however, retained its twin wipers until withdrawal in 1981.

Thanks very much for identifying the Deltic.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.&S.R. photos. The first one is of particular interest, for I’ve been reading the thread about those class 116/122 four car lash ups on that service. Apparently, BR used whatever had a cab at each end, and the cars in between could be composed of anything - in this case a three car 116, with a 116 DMS leading. I’m hoping you have more photos of these DMU workings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Interesting lineup at Barking reminds me of the Aylesbury lines in the seventies ,we had everyone elses castoffs and the lash ups were quite interesting plus they broke down frequently .

The Aylesbury lash ups were still happening in the 1990s, I remember one sunday, around 1990, we put together a four car 115, all DMBS, all facing Aylesbury, , an hour spend connecting wires behind the air axle light panel to make them all look like it worked!

Edited by andye
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.&S.R. photos. The first one is of particular interest, for I’ve been reading the thread about those class 116/122 four car lash ups on that service. Apparently, BR used whatever had a cab at each end, and the cars in between could be composed of anything - in this case a three car 116, with a 116 DMS leading. I’m hoping you have more photos of these DMU workings.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi Dave and Rob

The Kentish Town to Barking services over the years have produced all sorts of DMUs. I knew the Cricklewood based 116s were used on this route in the late sixties and early seventies but my memory of them waiting at Kentish Town was of a "normal" 3 car unit. The formation in the photo of a 3 car unit with an extra motor coach was the regular formation for trains going to Moorgate from places like Luton, Bedford and St Albans. Thanks.

The Aylesbury lash ups were still happening in the 1990s, I remember one sunday, around 1990, we put together a four car 115, all DMBS, all facing Aylesbury, , an hour spend connecting wires behind the air axle light panel to make them all look like it worked!

Absolutely - even down to the last train, which was an eight-car "lash-up".

Even the loco-hauled sets that had to be used several times over the last couple of winters produced some peculiar formations. One morning I found the 08:39 off Aylesbury formed by a class 47, a class 108 driving trailer (formed with corridor connection - which had glass panels in the door - facing the loco), a couple of Mark Is and a bullion courier vehicle. All except the latter were in public use. Great fun bouncing around in the 108 on the Met, watching the 47 through the sliding door inside the corridor connection! Don't let anyone tell you that it's "unrealistic" to do that on a model layout.  :P

post-27843-0-90311100-1516841125_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

That 115 above is interesting, as I don't think I've ever seen a sand box mounted on a DMU before...

Andy G

BR had a lot of problems with leaf fall and DMU's slipping to a stand on certain parts of the route out of Marylebone, so fitted a number of 115's with sandboxes in 1981, to see if that would improve things. I don't know how many where so fitted or how successful they were.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the north east photos. In the second one, you can see clearly the different front ends to the class 101 DMU and the HST. I remember thinking when the HSTs were introduced, how new and ultra modern they looked. They still do have an air of modernity about them. BR's best train in so many ways.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

North East England today with photos at Newcastle Central and a short distance north at Benton, just south of Benton Quarrry Junction which is visible beyond the bridge.

attachicon.gifBenton Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle 10th Aug 85 C7112.jpg

Benton Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle 10th Aug 85 C7112

attachicon.gifBenton HST 43073 10th Aug 85 C7113.jpg

Benton up HST 43073 10th Aug 85 C7113

attachicon.gifBenton 47188 up ammonia tanks Grangemouth to Haverton Hill 10th Aug 85 C7115.jpg

Benton 47188 up ammonia tanks Grangemouth to Haverton Hill 10th Aug 85 C7115

David

I got married in Longbenton on that very day ..........................

Edited by Southernman46

BR had a lot of problems with leaf fall and DMU's slipping to a stand on certain parts of the route out of Marylebone, so fitted a number of 115's with sandboxes in 1981, to see if that would improve things. I don't know how many where so fitted or how successful they were.

Paul J.

Indeed — between Great Missenden and Amersham and then again through to Chesham and Ricky. I saw my first autumn leaf fall timetable on the Chiltern line. That picture bring back memories of British Rail ‘total route modernisation’ of the Chiltern line. Around the same time in 1992 they ran King Edward 1st and Nunney Castle top and tailed to Quainton to celebrate 100 years of the Met.

Later that evening you could hear the distant crow of their whistles across Aylesbury as they observed the W board for the pedestrian foot crossing on Southcourt.

Thanks for posting.

Matt Wood

• RMweb Premium

North East England today with photos at Newcastle Central and a short distance north at Benton, just south of Benton Quarrry Junction which is visible beyond the bridge.

attachicon.gifaa Newcastle 45140 24th Feb 87_C8211.jpg

Newcastle 45140 24th Feb 87 C8211

attachicon.gifaa Newcastle 43159 up XP and Class 101 24th Feb 87_C8223.jpg

Newcastle 43159 up XP and Class 101 24th Feb 87 C8223

attachicon.gifBenton Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle 10th Aug 85 C7112.jpg

Benton Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle 10th Aug 85 C7112

attachicon.gifBenton HST 43073 10th Aug 85 C7113.jpg

Benton up HST 43073 10th Aug 85 C7113

attachicon.gifBenton 47188 up ammonia tanks Grangemouth to Haverton Hill 10th Aug 85 C7115.jpg

Benton 47188 up ammonia tanks Grangemouth to Haverton Hill 10th Aug 85 C7115

David

You should have taken a saw to that tree :-)