Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

I also reserved Digitrains last one this afternoon when I rang them about a sound fitting they had attempted for me - they couldn't find a way into the Beattie Well Tank to get a sound chip in.  When I call in tomorrow to pick it up I'll see about getting this one sound fitted.  .

Les

I shall be keen to hear how the sound fitting progresses - I fear a speaker maybe difficult to hide...?large completely unprototypical tool box in the cab half obscured by some crew?

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Nope, all completely hidden within the body and nothing on show

I'll be intrigued to see how it's done, I got sound and speaker all in the smokebox on my beattie but the Peckett looks like it would need some milling out of the body to fit it all in. I was looking at hiding the chip in the space in the body and a flat speaker with clear enclosure in the cab.

• RMweb Gold

Well it could have had double height dumb buffers.  (Think about it)

Has that got something to do with [unnecessarily] tight shorts made from ripped jeans or am I totally missing the point (as usual)?

Has that got something to do with [unnecessarily] tight shorts made from ripped jeans or am I totally missing the point (as usual)?

Read into it what you will. (A psychiatrist will be along shortsly).

Pity there's no sound on this.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 11

Been keeping up with this though without much intention of getting one, however...... When digging through my Weymouth Tramway books with regard to the 1366's came on a pic of a Peckett, an 0-6-0 admittedly,being used there in the late 20's as a stand  in for a regular away for overhaul. This may have been mentioned before but I'm not going back through 70 pages so apologies, but Andy Y has kindly informed me GWR had something similar absorbed from the Swansea Harbour Trust. I think I've just been handed an  unlooked for excuse for a bit of "what if" :-)

This thread has been very entertaining though seems to have undertones of "Where can I get a Tracy Island" that some on here may remember.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This thread has been very entertaining though seems to have undertones of "Where can I get a Tracy Island" that some on here may remember.

Cheers

Stu

Ah, so next weeks Blue Peter will be how to make a Peckett from cardboard, double-sided tape and some sticky-back plastic.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got a photo of the MSC no12? I'm wondering from the few notes I've found if it was exactly the same as no11 and if they came with the 'square' dome or originally have the Dodo style.

Time to make a start on the peckett!

It's such a lovely model! I've not based the conversion on any locomotive, just a typical industrial loco for use on a small industrial layout that I've not yet built.

As can be seen in the photos I have:

Removed the back of the cab

Removed the company name off the tank

Painted all the handrails black

And painted the buffer beams yellow and finished them off with wasp stripes

Still much to do including detailing further with crew and lamps and also weathering to finish, I've still got the msc green one to do too

Adam

post-18185-0-22635700-1483805228_thumb.jpg

post-18185-0-18607000-1483805245_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Pity there's no sound on this.

P

Absolutely splendid and a great picture of what puggies could do. 

Pity too about the quality of the colour, but for anybody wondering there were a few good quality photies of the BAC Burntisland operation in Steam Days a couple of years ago which revealed the bodywork on the Pecketts to be a dark green - the MSC one is probably close enough, which makes me wonder given that the Culter Paper Mill one was also that colour whether Peckett changed their off-the-shelf stock colour for a darker version in later life?

Edited by Caledonian

• RMweb Gold

Time to make a start on the peckett!

It's such a lovely model! I've not based the conversion on any locomotive, just a typical industrial loco for use on a small industrial layout that I've not yet built.

As can be seen in the photos I have:

Removed the back of the cab

Removed the company name off the tank

Painted all the handrails black

And painted the buffer beams yellow and finished them off with wasp stripes

Still much to do including detailing further with crew and lamps and also weathering to finish, I've still got the msc green one to do too

Adam

wow, not a Peckett but not a million miles from one of only 3 memories of working Industrial steam in the UK I was young enough to remember

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sharpeandrew/8068449532/

(not my picture)

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got a photo of the MSC no12? I'm wondering from the few notes I've found if it was exactly the same as no11 and if they came with the 'square' dome or originally have the Dodo style.

I've got "Railways of the Manchester Ship Canal", Don Thorpe, OPC, 1984, ISBN 0-086093-2888-5 in front of me.

The MSC didn't have a close association to Peckett, there was only a handful, relative to other builders, Peckett W4s listed are

11 Alexandria 654 of 1897, sold to Esso in August 1954

12 Jaffa 655 of 1897, sold in 1927

25 Valencia 907 of 1902, scrapped in 1957.

Page 66 show's 11 "Alexandria" as modelled.

Page 114 has a scale drawing of 12 "Jaffa", which is as 11 on page 66, its a good assumption, that two consecutively numbered works plates, ordered together would be the same.

Page 116 shows 11 again, but a later in life livery with MSC lettering but no obvious changes to appearance.

Page 119 shows 25 "Valencia" in lined green (works number 907 of 1902), taken in 1906 it appears with the same style dome as Dodo (not 11/12), the picture is B+W but the livery looks green, the lining looks pretty much the same as Dodo but the handrails are picked out in white, and the rods are a light colour (red maybe ?) this picture shows it carrying the same style & placement nameplate  as Dodo..in short 25 'Valencia' looks like this image (minus the accident damage)...

https://admin.Hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/PECKETT-563-Dodo-01-13-web.jpg

FWIW there is a picture of a W6 (Larger boiler) on Page 126, and a line drawing of a W6 on page 127, by comparing Page 114 with page 126, which includes dimensional details which shows:

W4 length 18ft, against W6 23ft

W4 height 8ft agains 8ft 2in

W4 wheels 3ft 3.5 in against W6 3ft 3inch

W4 Cylinders 14x20 against W6 14x22 

W4 Water 660galls against W6 920galls

the W6 is 77 number 1724 of 1927

W6 looks dimensionally very similar in the picture in Page 119 to those of No 11, however the boiler/saddle tanks looks larger & the chimney is shorter, obvious differences is the saddle tank ends almost touching the footplate windows, where as the W4 there is a gap.

Aside the bigger boiler, the elephant in the room between a W4 and W6 is the 16mm additional length (in 00 Scale), but clear differences are a bigger footplate, shorter dome, shorter chimney and differences in the frame.

The livery of the W6 looks two shades of dark green (dark green outer and slightly lighter green inside the lining, lining as per Dodo, but darker.

The book says the locos were well liked on Pomona Docks with tight curves against other locos, but the complaint of the W4s was the lack of coal storage, the coal was stored on the footplate and difficulties raising steam, 11 later in life had considerable steaming difficulties.

The W6 presumably was ordered to address the problems of the W4s but was used elsewhere on the system too, that the W6 arrived in 1927 as 12 Jaffa left also in 1927 may be of significance. The book also points out of a dispute between Esso and the MSC over the purchase of No 11, as they believed they had purchased no 77.

i'd imagine Hornby chose to model 11 due to it's longevity with the MSC and not 25 due to it's similarity in appearance and  livery lining (if not shade of green), to Dodo.

A very good book, recommended but beware looking through the hundreds of pictures in there will leave you wanting an MSC Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0t, and hint hint if DJ is reading there are pictures of the MSC lined J94 too on page 131.

Edited by adb968008

Well I've got the peckett running perfectly slow and smooth now. Although I have another problem, I'm using a standard cheap black with red knob Hornby controller. With the power turn off as far as possible, the peckett still crawls! No other locos do it. Anybody got any ideas of what it could be?

• RMweb Gold

Well I've got the peckett running perfectly slow and smooth now. Although I have another problem, I'm using a standard cheap black with red knob Hornby controller. With the power turn off as far as possible, the peckett still crawls! No other locos do it. Anybody got any ideas of what it could be?

Try a Gaugemaster . Both of mine run like a dream.Unbelievably good......such quality.

• RMweb Gold

I assume that is all DC only, so that can only be a controller fault or you have something else connected that is applying power to ghe track.

As for it being the only loco that does it, maybe it just needs less power to actually move it.

Roy

• Like 1

Peckett 560, Out of use at Nationalisation and slowly cannibalised the last bits going in April 1949 according to the colliery records and it's last driver. (No longer with us)

Probably looked substantially different to a standard Peckett having been rebuilt by Ridley Shaw on release from Brummer Mond in 1930.

Hazard being the local name for the colliery (partly because of it's reputation) it's owners being unable to convince the local populace to call it by its official North Hetton title. Interesting that C Mountford has it down as having an angled cab. I was told it had a scalloped cab similar to Lambtons H/L  No.33.

I've never seen a pic of No 36 but suppose that there must be a few about with it surviving until 1963.

Guess what name plates I'm ordering? 

P                 

...are you doing the Bowburn one aswell??

I've built a controller from a MERG kit which does the same thing when I run the Lilliput Zillertalbahn diesel. In my case, there is a very slight current leakage even when the controller is turned off, which is not normally enough to power a loco but is for that particular one!

Cheers all. Got a gauge master combi on order. Wanting to convert to dcc so the combi is a stand in for a few months....

Cheers.

Luke

Hi all, just removed the MSC 11 plate on the tank, I used toothpaste and a cotton bud and it worked a dream!

Luke