RMweb

Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Covkid said:

Did anyone pop into the Bachmann lounge at Ally Pally ?

Just wondered if there were any updates in the showcases 

Interesting comment posed in the room yesterday,…

It was said the cabinet would be bare by Warley, as everything previously announced, will have been cleared from the back log.

There after its “unannounced” stuff.

Three 25’s were listed…

25060 25057  And D5283 Green

(I should have took more interest in the other two, but one was listed as Blue, the other blue weathered),

8CA031D9-4CA5-40DC-A8B0-8774E7368527.jpeg

52FEFEB0-9C31-4DB8-AF79-261E6F232ABC.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting comment posed in the room yesterday,…

It was said the cabinet would be bare by Warley, as everything previously announced, will have been cleared from the back log.

There after its “unannounced” stuff.

Three 25’s were listed…

25060 25057  And D5283 Green

(I should have took more interest in the other two, but one was listed as Blue, the other blue weathered),

Well yes.  How many 24s actually were produced as compared with those announced ?  more ?

From memory Bachmann only announced two 25/1s one of which was 25060 in blue.  ISTR there was a controversy with that so must reread this thread.   

Just checked back to the first few pages of this thread and the original press release was for two models ;

32 340  Weathered Blue 25060 which is a 25/1 with bodyside air louvres and gangway cab

32 341 Green D5282 a "late" class 25 with cantrail grilles and full end windows

Key Model World's release from 2022 advises two models, with same catalogue numbers as above, however 25060 has morphed into 25057.

In my view Bachmann need to seize the bodyside grille market and produce more variants - knowing that Heljan have already swept up on the 25/2 and 25/3 with the later design bodyshell.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2023 at 00:37, Covkid said:

Just checked back to the first few pages of this thread and the original press release was for two models ;

32 340  Weathered Blue 25060 which is a 25/1 with bodyside air louvres and gangway cab

32 341 Green D5282 a "late" class 25 with cantrail grilles and full end windows

Key Model World's release from 2022 advises two models, with same catalogue numbers as above, however 25060 has morphed into 25057.

On 20/03/2023 at 13:59, Suzy Sulzer said:

The other variant on display at the weekend

1.jpg

It seems that Bachmann doesn't know either... The label above says 25060 but the website (see screenshot below) says 25057 (in the heading) and 25060 (in the description). The number doesn't bother me, the quality of the weathering does.

image.png.a02d6112214d41ab0ec1fffc4d70b69e.png

• RMweb Premium
On 19/03/2023 at 21:41, adb968008 said:

8CA031D9-4CA5-40DC-A8B0-8774E7368527.jpeg

I'm sure its some sort of production flaw that will be amended so more curious than anything, what has happened up the left hand side of the body where the side to front join seems to have a concave channel all the way up?

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm sure its some sort of production flaw that will be amended so more curious than anything, what has happened up the left hand side of the body where the side to front join seems to have a concave channel all the way up?

Side window frame perhaps? 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

'Seems' is the appropriate word.  That's an optical illusion caused by the way the vertical cabinet strip lighting is reflecting off the convex surface of the corner.  Be assured both sides of the cab had the same convex curve, I saw it with my own eyes! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SR Chris said:

'Seems' is the appropriate word.  That's an optical illusion caused by the way the vertical cabinet strip lighting is reflecting off the convex surface of the corner.  Be assured both sides of the cab had the same convex curve, I saw it with my own eyes! 

My original assumption was it must be an optical illusion but the bottom corner is very convincing!

• Agree 1

On 20/03/2023 at 14:59, Suzy Sulzer said:

The other variant on display at the weekend

1.jpg

Thanks Suzy Sulzer. 

That is a very nice dual braked example. I like it lots but it will make backdating them more difficult, if that is what some need to do.  Erm like me. 

So when were the first boilered 25s converted to dual brakes, and which depot / region ?

EDIT

The prototype model calls into question Phil's unwitting thread title. It is actually a brand new model - whoopee

Edited by Covkid
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Thanks Suzy Sulzer. 

That is a very nice dual braked example. I like it lots but it will make backdating them more difficult, if that is what some need to do.  Erm like me. 

So when were the first boilered 25s converted to dual brakes, and which depot / region ?

EDIT

The prototype model calls into question Phil's unwitting thread title. It is actually a brand new model - whoopee

Me too! Suspect most other than Scottish bed were still VB only in my era….

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

The 1969 Ian Allan ABC (correct?? to the end of 1968) and matching Locoshed book show just six Class 25s dual-braked by then, all in that boilered batch of 75xx 25/2s - 7568/71/72 of 55A Leeds Holbeck, and 7586/93/96 of 52A Gateshead. The  accuracy of this kind of information in these books may be questionable as it should show 7660-8 as dual-braked also, fitted from new for Euston ECS duties, but I think these six are probably correct (later on the IA books would show some WR 25s as dual-braked when they weren't, the WR had no requirement for dual-braked 25s so at least 25223/5, overhauled in 1976, remained vac-only which sealed their fate when replaced by Class 37s in 1980).

By 1973 7572 was at Willesden still in the early blue style it had received in 1969, and by then with welded-up end gangway doors (still no full repaint!) The following spring it would briefly be renumbered 25222 in this livery, with numbers applied above the driver's corners arrow logos instead of the bodysides, the only BR Sulzer Type 2 treated this way at renumbering. On the other hand 7568 was renumbered 25218 still in green livery!

• Like 2

Thanks Halvarras. That would work really well for me - love the number and logo placement. What is the betting it was Midland lines rather than Western lines, or even a Cricklewood engine by then.

It will do though. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2023 at 19:41, Halvarras said:

The 1969 Ian Allan ABC (correct?? to the end of 1968) and matching Locoshed book show just six Class 25s dual-braked by then, all in that boilered batch of 75xx 25/2s - 7568/71/72 of 55A Leeds Holbeck, and 7586/93/96 of 52A Gateshead. The  accuracy of this kind of information in these books may be questionable as it should show 7660-8 as dual-braked also, fitted from new for Euston ECS duties, but I think these six are probably correct (later on the IA books would show some WR 25s as dual-braked when they weren't, the WR had no requirement for dual-braked 25s so at least 25223/5, overhauled in 1976, remained vac-only which sealed their fate when replaced by Class 37s in 1980).

By 1973 7572 was at Willesden still in the early blue style it had received in 1969, and by then with welded-up end gangway doors (still no full repaint!) The following spring it would briefly be renumbered 25222 in this livery, with numbers applied above the driver's corners arrow logos instead of the bodysides, the only BR Sulzer Type 2 treated this way at renumbering. On the other hand 7568 was renumbered 25218 still in green livery!

7576, 7578,7579,7580,7582, 7584, 7590 and 7591all dual braked with steam generators and green( and allocated  north of the border) until repainted blue as E-G standbys.

Dual braked 25s in green are more common than most people think. The Ian Allan books were often years behind with things like dual braking.

Al Taylor

Edited by 45125
additional numbers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Fine model as the Bachmann version will undoubtedly be I saw the SLW version at the York show and it is most definitely a level above in terms of fidelity.  Both the green and blue versions are I think likely to be ‘definitive’. 

With respect though Mike,  AIUI SLW are not doing the "early" class 25, only the later versions with the cantrail air intakes.  This means that Bachmann alone are producing the "boilered 25, whilst Bachmann, Heljan an SLW compete for the later versons. 

Phil Sutton could of course surprise us, as could Heljan - it is only a new bodyshell after all.   

That vertical tooling line leading down from below the quarterlights is very prominent. Hope its not there on the production runs.  Tooling line is present on the SLW version but barely visible.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

With respect though Mike,  AIUI SLW are not doing the "early" class 25, only the later versions with the cantrail air intakes.  This means that Bachmann alone are producing the "boilered 25, whilst Bachmann, Heljan an SLW compete for the later versons. 

Phil Sutton could of course surprise us, as could Heljan - it is only a new bodyshell after all.   

If you have a read of the summer 2022 newsletter, there is clear mention of a 25/1 and some tooling shots. 

Roy

• Thanks 1