Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

2 hours ago, John B said:

Having missed out on 55018 I'd certainly be up for a second run of that, or any Finsbury Park liveried racehorses...

I mentioned to Fran at Ally Pally that I hope in time they do all six FP racehorses with white cabs. Four to go...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Don't forget that Accurascale has probably not produced the same number of each model. They may also have given themselves some scope to change liveries on the same tooling combinations depending on early pre-orders before specfic numbers of each version were locked in with the factory, to better reflect what they expected to be demand.

The purple monstrosity has the WIPAC lights and so is unique in the first run so any underestimation of demand couldn't be countered by increasing the production run.

Who knows if any of this supposition is correct - and I wouldn't expect Accurascale to tell us - but I don't necessarily think that overall demand for each livery variant can be judged on which are sold out and which not.

Commercial logic would suggest that once the first production run has sold out, they swap the numbers and liveries around to keep the next production run(s) unique and going. After all there are only 22 Deltics to play with but as they have shown, plenty of livery variations to work with..., if its commercially viable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, RozM said:

I mentioned to Fran at Ally Pally that I hope in time they do all six FP racehorses with white cabs. Four to go...

I hope they don't do Meld, I've ordered Crepello and don't want to have to sell that one to get the one I really wanted 😉

The next big spend is allocated for a Cavalex 56032 as built, when Cav gets round to doing one :lol:

Sadly I have to admit one of those 47 on the hopeful list for the purple peril is me. 

When a few extra of that and D9000 were added to stock I had to choose and stayed true, but if it were to appear again I would snap it up (providing of course it doesn't clash with a certain AC Electric 😉 )

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Interesting approach. Any pictures? Of the packaging?

I guess the key difference is that the external finish of a camera is more robus, and that the fragiles are internal. Versus delicate finish and fragile external detail on a model.

Not anymore, it was a Nikon D7200 camera but I gave it to my best mate when he popped down for a visit last year as I never used it anymore, I think the Nikon D3X was packaged as such as well, but that was a long time ago now.

I too will admit that im hoping (albeit with little hope) that somehow i can acquire a purple beastie in DCC Sound. Im not however holding out much hope at all...............if that makes sense 🤣

They are indeed unique and quirky all at the same time

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I bought one out of sympathy, afterall someone had to buy a purple one.  

I wonder who bought the other ?

:-)

As for the 47, out of sympathy, that’s probably me under 47 different drunken aliases, to make you guys feel better about making such a monster, do the numbers at the end of the email address increment correctly or did I skip a few ?

😬

The Purple one was the first sound model I purchased, I have my cross country Mk2 waiting patiently for it to arrive. If it was not for this version, I’d not have a Deltic in the fleet. It has a allure. 

Now, how to explain its arrival to the better half!

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Buy her an item of clothing to match - would she look good in purple?

One of the few colours I’ve not seen her in, so would be a first, but then that works well, my first sound loco, her first purple clothing 

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2022 at 16:38, Roy Langridge said:

And from some other posts, that is all for just when the wife finds it...

Roy

When the wife finds out. You hide inside the box. It has been hammer tested. So it should cope with a rolling pin.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

In seriousness, if Accurascale are planning to do a second run of the Deltics it I hope they get ahead of the scalpers by announcing that as they are released even if it is a way off, similar to the 37's otherwise I can see some of these sound versions going for silly money, especially if purple!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JhornG201 said:

Not sure if this question has been asked before, but apologies if it has. For those who are installing their own DCC Sound decoder and speaker, are there solder tabs on the loco PCB to attach the speaker to?

there are connection pins designed to take some standard speaker types and we are exploring offering the ‘accurathrash’ bass speaker as a branded accessory at the moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

17 hours ago, RozM said:

Had the Deltics lasted a bit longer always wondered how they would look in Inter City livery...

Swallow livery - yeah. Given the APT and some people have done fictitious stuff before. I think that this will soon be another element that people viably consider to decide what models can be done. 

For a Deltic I'd have GNER, Intercity Swallow, maybe EWS or Fragonset.... 

WIPAC with domino box an option?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Swallow livery - yeah. Given the APT and some people have done fictitious stuff before. I think that this will soon be another element that people viably consider to decide what models can be done. 

For a Deltic I'd have GNER, Intercity Swallow, maybe EWS or Fragonset.... 

WIPAC with domino box an option?

Here’s a pic that’s close enough to get an impression of the later IC livery. 

BR ScotRail: Class 55 Deltic Diesel Locomotive 'Ballymoss' (fiction)

Edited by 97406
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

I was wondering if the raft of photoshop ideas would soon show up. Things like the strips need to match the width and height of stock done but its heading in that direction. Just depends if there is the demand for a range of what ifs'.... 

I guess it sort of depends on what the lowest run Accurascale can do and turn a profit is. You might sell 250 in Swallow livery, but if your minimum run is 500 that’s a lot of sunk cost sitting in the warehouse. The tooling and development costs are paid for (presumably) with the first run, but there will be costs of developing the new livery and tooling up spray masks and tampo printers. Maybe it would be possible to do a few hundred in special liveries like Rapido did. Do Accurascale own their own factory, or is it contracted out? That will partly sway things, a lot easier to do short runs in your own factory (like Rapido) than if you’re having to book space in someone else’s (like Bachmann, their minimum run is 500 units).

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Do Accurascale own their own factory, or is it contracted out? That will partly sway things, a lot easier to do short runs in your own factory (like Rapido) than if you’re having to book space in someone else’s (like Bachmann, their minimum run is 500 units).

Smallish runs are possible, although as you say the tampo tools and masks are unique to each model. 

No-one actually owns their own factory in China. We contract manufacture to 6 different Chinese owned enterprises. (Bachmann are not an exception, but a 'vice versa' as they are owned by their Factory :) ) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

I guess it sort of depends on what the lowest run Accurascale can do and turn a profit is. You might sell 250 in Swallow livery, but if your minimum run is 500 that’s a lot of sunk cost sitting in the warehouse. The tooling and development costs are paid for (presumably) with the first run, but there will be costs of developing the new livery and tooling up spray masks and tampo printers. Maybe it would be possible to do a few hundred in special liveries like Rapido did. Do Accurascale own their own factory, or is it contracted out? That will partly sway things, a lot easier to do short runs in your own factory (like Rapido) than if you’re having to book space in someone else’s (like Bachmann, their minimum run is 500 units).

Would also depend if you then can use several liveries at smaller runs to then cover the need of the tooling changes for a whole run, ie, 250, plus 250, plus 250.... 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 97406 said:

…or maybe…

BR Large Logo Blue Deltic

By the time that image would have emerged, its number could have been 55422 or even 97501 if it were an rtc loco… though it could have been moved to the WoE mainline to negate the need for 159’s… and let the class 50’s become a dedicated RES fleet of diesels for mail services…

ah fiction, I can talk BS all day long, and still someone will seek to correct me.

Wheres those generic BR mk123’s gone ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

By the time that image would have emerged, its number could have been 55422 or even 97501 if it were an rtc loco… though it could have been moved to the WoE mainline to negate the need for 159’s… and let the class 50’s become a dedicated RES fleet of diesels for mail services…

ah fiction, I can talk BS all day long, and still someone will seek to correct me.

Wheres those generic BR mk123’s gone ?

Anything’s possible in my little parallel universe. 25s and 40s survived in service just into the 90s and standard gauge is 4 foot 1 1/2 inches!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3