Class 37, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

DB BR103 Trix, still; available new from Gaugemaster - £475

Accurascale Class 92, if you can find one new - £280 less a few pence.

So 195 quid for a pop-up Lokfürher aka Driver (and a metallised plastic body - but no 3rd rail shoes).

PS I wouldn't bother with retractable 3rd rail shoes - the bloomin' things didn't every  time they supposed to and they were out-of gauge on SNCF.  The latter became so fed up with the shoes hitting things when they should have been retracted that at their boundary with Eurotunnel they installed concrete blocks , set to their gauge clearance, with the specific intention of 'removing' any shoes which hadn't retracted.

Incidentally I've always liked the 103s so I have no bias against them although when I first saw them they were E03s and the very first ones had only just appeared that year.and were in special use.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday running 37 607 going round all nice and load no problems runs into a siding. Stops in the siding turns on the yard lights  f22 & f23  and all goes quiet. None of the Sounds respond. The loco still moves and lights work but no sound. Now I have previously turned down the sound level cv as it did the fail on start up thing but this is a new trick on me. Has anyone else had this happen. 

if I do the take it of the track and wait trick works it gets it working again. Only to do it again if yard lights and sound is activated together. 

Edited by farren

15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So 195 quid for a pop-up Lokfürher aka Driver (and a metallised plastic body - but no 3rd rail shoes).

PS I wouldn't bother with retractable 3rd rail shoes - the bloomin' things didn't every  time they supposed to and they were out-of gauge on SNCF.  The latter became so fed up with the shoes hitting things when they should have been retracted that at their boundary with Eurotunnel they installed concrete blocks , set to their gauge clearance, with the specific intention of 'removing' any shoes which hadn't retracted.

Incidentally I've always liked the 103s so I have no bias against them although when I first saw them they were E03s and the very first ones had only just appeared that year.and were in special use.

I hope no one took me seriously with that.  It really was intended as tongue-in-cheek. I suppose we could model all those discarded shoes beside the tracks. 😁😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRman said:

I hope no one took me seriously with that.  It really was intended as tongue-in-cheek. I suppose we could model all those discarded shoes beside the tracks. 😁😁

Yesterday’s tongue-in-cheek seems to become today’s feature. The thought about shoes occurred to me as I watched with fascination a video of trains changing between pantographs and shoes at Farringdon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

DIncidentally I've always liked the 103s so I have no bias against them although when I first saw them they were E03s and the very first ones had only just appeared that year.and were in special use.

Agreed - finest loco's ever - remember being stood on the platform @ Koln Hbf back in '85 staring up & up (they're tall) at the Lokfuhrer looking back down the train just prior to departure from the eyrie of his 103's cab window and thinking "Mate - you've got the best job in the world" !!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SRman said:

Yes - frangible shoegear - what absolute genius thought of that - let's PLAN to have a large unsecured lump of metal come off a train and disappear into the ether ................. maybe through a trackworker or someone's back window or and it will happen one day - a crowded station platform with the same result as a cannonball at the Battle of Waterloo ! After the introduction of the Desiro's into Wessex back in 2004 and the realisation of just how many actually fall off - I was always careful never to caught when trackside downstream of a facing conductor rail end ramp on approach of a Desiro. The 458's on the Windsor side weren't as bad (lower speeds ??) but I do remember one morning when we (Clapham PW) managed to de-shoe on the cess-side 4 entire trains of 458's by leaving the conductor rail jacked up on an insulator ear (after an overnight CWR stressing job)on the approach to Barnes 🤦‍♂️ - the funny thing was the 1st service got all the way past Vauxhall before getting utterly gapped due to a combination of the c/rail being 6 foot side and it not being held at signals 👍

I didn't enjoy the 10:00 morning conference the following day. 😬

Anyway enough Uncle Albert from me - back to the 37's 👌

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Flying chunks of metal off, or caused by, passing trains are not to be recommended.  We had a chunk break out of a rail in a switch diamond which also included a single slip connection,  Shot up underneath the train and was bounced back before flying in various directions before it finally took a small bite out of  out of a stone built overbridge - above the arch.  That was the end of the single slip connection.   Absolute miracle it didn't do any more serious damage to a train running at 70mph.

Back to Class 37s.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 04/02/2024 at 11:02, The Stationmaster said:

The Trix can be had for £298 if you shop around. What is a 'metallised plastic body'?

It is zinc alloy die-cast.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Just managed to get this from the Accurascale web site - there was only one when I looked.

Seems a few 37s are turning up from somewhere 🙂

image.png.2a3a35282c3b6733704f91b9c6f67920.png

With 31285 on order, plus this scratch built optical structure gauging wagon

s-l500.webp.746733ac47f44862369f7cb612e0e49e.webp

and now 97301 it makes this formation possible. Thanks to '37409' for the video.

Edited by zr2498
Extra info added
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Nice. Really suits it. I’m trying to decide whether to reinstate the bodyside window and relocated the orange stripe or not 😂😂😂

I did it with my rework of 424. Real ball ache but did look the part. Just putting out feelers to see if this livery drums up any interest for a potential Accurascale model?...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Well folks. There are a few more 37' for sale on the Accurascale site. Just been on and had a look. If anyone needs another 37, its worth a look. 

Not quite related, but a few 31s too... grabbed a couple! 👍

14 hours ago, Melton Works said:

Not quite related, but a few 31s too... grabbed a couple! 👍

sadly the 31s are out of my era or i have grabbed the network rail ones and a regional railways one

saved my wallet going into ICU tho

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi @McC @Accurascale Fran

I hope you are well? 

I see 37403 has been announced by the SRPS and is due to be delivered in Q4 2025. Is this part of the third run of OO Gauge Class 37s and if so is this when all of the locos in run three will arrive? 

I ask because I’m trying to plan and budget for most likely more Class 37s from the third run, so I’m just wondering when they will arrive and how long I have to save some money. 

Also, if 37403 is part of the third run when will the remainder of the third run of locos be announced? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I hope you are well? 

I see 37403 has been announced by the SRPS and is due to be delivered in Q4 2025. Is this part of the third run of OO Gauge Class 37s and if so is this when all of the locos in run three will arrive? 

I ask because I’m trying to plan and budget for most likely more Class 37s from the third run, so I’m just wondering when they will arrive and how long I have to save some money. 

Also, if 37403 is part of the third run when will the remainder of the third run of locos be announced? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Patience Danny, Accurascale will tell us when they are ready, and Model Rail Scotland is nearly here…

Roy

7 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I hope you are well? 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Just start saving money then it'll be there when you need it, you need need to be told when something is going to be available 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

see 37403 has been announced by the SRPS and is due to be delivered in Q4 2025. Is this part of the third run of OO Gauge Class 37s and if so is this when all of the locos in run three will arrive? 

You’ve answered your own question chap… likely be Q4 2025…

• Agree 1

In Richard's latest new junction video he says Accurascale may have something at Model Rail Scotland. The 37403 announcements is perhaps hinting at a run of 37/4s including some 1980s Scottish versions being unveiled at Model Rail Scotland.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't an intermediate batch between the ones due now and the recently announced 37403. Maybe a series of 37/7 heavyweights to go with the 37714 commission? There could even be a batch of 80's/90's 37/4's between these and then 37403 could be a rerun of the initial ones e.g. modern 37/4's and some EPS 37/6's etc.