KR Models announce the Bulleid Leader

KR Models

I was disappointed to see the Leaders at Warley still displaying the hopelessly wrong wheels. Has that issue been addressed? Or am I going to have to get the plasticard out?

I was going to ask them on the day but they were fielding other questions.

On the 4DD topic I know wrong topic someone said that the wheel pattern was going to be changed.... but again with KR's newsletters and not going in to detail about what small changes they are making it's hard to know. Think it was @Trofimow? But I haven't seen any clear photo's of this change.

Just seen on a video the pattern on the wheels at Warley are still incorrect.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway
Wrong Quote/ Updated
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Trofimow said:

The black one on display had wheels which appeared to be BFB pattern. The silver one may well have been still the earlier sample without.

I don't think they did, the silver one I think appeared in Jenny's video, they looked like the BFB but they were incorrect, and were missing the backing to the big teardrop shape which then has a hole at the rim end, which I think was what @On30runner was eluding to regarding the plasticard which I may have to join him on that one if it's not changed.... although they are in production now so.... mmm place your bets.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 27/11/2023 at 08:43, JSpencer said:

I do not believe there is any working steam model anywhere.

https://www.worthingmodelengineers.co.uk/locomotives-seen-at-our-track/

Scroll down, but I think it has piston valves rather than sleeve.

As to sound, I've not seen any film footage apart from the oscillating sleeve valves and a bit during construction. But surely there would have been footage taken, if only for in-house reference? Perhaps buried deep in an archive somewhere. No reference to any that I can see though in Kevin Robertson's excellent book.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 27/11/2023 at 08:43, JSpencer said:

I do not believe there is any working steam model anywhere.

Kevan Ayling built a 5 inch model that is still running

http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/_ldr/ldrKevan1.aspx

http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/_ldr/ldrKevan2.aspx

there are numerous gauge one examples

Edited by On30runner
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

So that confirms what I saw on a Youtube video, still has the wrong pattern wheels unfortunately. 

This looks like the same model that Jenny a Kirk had on her YouTube channel. If so, it’s an EP that has been about for a few months and has been revised. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For the uninitiated and those perhaps not doing adequate research this is what the Bulleid-Firth-Brown wheels on Bullied's leader actually looked like... (Picture taken and provided to me by the late John Click)

IMG_7444.PNG.dccf547ef53a19ccdc4ee3d70d106c82.PNG

Not as apparently will be fitted to the model...

wheel.jpg.1982f5326ebbd1ddf1b316fd0113e70f.jpg

Note: I like many have one on order and paid for, it's just a shame adequate research or freely offered assistance has not been taken up.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

For the uninitiated and those perhaps not doing adequate research this is what the Bulleid-Firth-Brown wheels on Bullied's leader actually looked like... (Picture taken and provided to me by the late John Click)

Note: I like many have one on order and paid for, it's just a shame adequate research or freely offered assistance has not been taken up.

Thanks for sharing Graham, so unfortunately it wasn't one of those things that they were making changes too... Or being sorted...

Or to quote a WD newsletter it's more about price than what someone can see... Problem is for me knowing it's there and it's incorrect.

Damn shame when in this community we have experts and people like yourself who know what they are looking at and are willing to share information to help make sure this Leader is the one and only model that will be made that will be correct.

Shame all round.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2023 at 10:24, Graham_Muz said:

Forgive me but I can't see any difference between the two photos? Or am I missing something?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Rosie Taylor said:

Forgive me but I can't see any difference between the two photos? Or am I missing something?

Yep you are missing something, as are the large openings in the model wheels that should contain a web and not be see through (except for a small hole).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Yep you are missing something, as are the large openings in the model wheels that should contain a web and not be see through (except for a small hole).

Ah! I see it now. Wow that seems quite a rookie mistake on KR Models' part!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Perhaps an opportunity for an after-market producer to provide etched wheel backs.

If they were blackened and supplied in two halves, attachment with superglue should be relatively easy, and require no painting.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The wheels are wrong, no doubt about it, and KR absolutely should have got them right.

But, you can barely see the wheels on the Leader thanks to the big box thingies on the the bogie sides so the issue is far less noticeable than if it was on a standard steam loco luckily.

products-Leader-1-1.jpg.07c2d6547be72678d0c5be1f2ee156e6.jpg

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 15/12/2023 at 10:24, Graham_Muz said:

What if KR Models intend to place a another element onto the face of the wheel to represent the correct pattern as seen from the front.  It may be easier for them to do that than create the complex wheel as a single mold?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What if KR Models intend to place a another element onto the face of the wheel to represent the correct pattern as seen from the front.  It may be easier for them to do that than create the complex wheel as a single mold?

Except that would a) make the front face incorrect relative to the wheel tyre and b) the wheel is not that complex to need to be created in anything other than a single mold to be correct. 

[having been involved in the RTR production of BFB wheels before and quite recently as it happens....] 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

5 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Except that would a) make the front face incorrect relative to the wheel tyre and b) the wheel is not that complex to need to be created in anything other than a single mold to be correct. 

[having been involved in the RTR production of BFB wheels before and quite recently as it happens....] 

I appreciate you've knowledge and skin in the game, but KR Models have not when it comes to SR models.

A thin plastic overlay with potentially small protrusions that could fit into the inner holes on the wheel face would suffice for the quality of model being produced.

Or perhaps I am just musing how they might resolve this issue if they haven't already......

On 15/12/2023 at 21:24, Graham_Muz said:

I trust that the wheels shown in the second image are not representative of what will be supplied by KR as the left hand wheel will run very eccentrically given that the axle hole opening looks decidedly offf centre.

6 hours ago, Rosie Taylor said:

The KR wheels look closer to an American Boxpok built up design rather than a cast Bulleid Firth Brown wheel.

1d2839da8159f31627ff943ddb8e3b38.jpg

27883905_7cc26fab7c_b.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GWR-fan said:

I trust that the wheels shown in the second image are not representative of what will be supplied by KR as the left hand wheel will run very eccentrically given that the axle hole opening looks decidedly offf centre.

I admire your optimism 😜

• Funny 4