RMweb

Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Sorry WG but not according to the drawing by Don Townsley in the Planet Industrials pamphlet for the loco and the picture of number 19 clearly show that there are not directly opposing spokes.

A good hint for working out the spoke count.

Gordon A

15 Spokes?

image.png.f9aed2ea8a0ebe4869581ca0a77f45c3.png

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Needing to test run some newly-built CONFLATs L, I decided to give "VULCAN", my newly acquired green 'Victory' class loco, a running-in turn.

I coupled up eleven bogie ICI limestone hoppers, five CONFLATs L, (two of which carry three cast whitemetal L containers each), and a brakevan.

"VULCAN" walked away with the lot, and did so with hardly any noise, and no wheel-slip.

If you need an industrial loco that means business - this is the one to go for!

John Isherwood.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have just ordered a Victory, looking forward to receiving it. I have a DCC Concepts Super-Small Next18 decoder, has anyone used one of these? It would be good to know that it fits before I get it out of the packet and find out it doesn't!

Thanks

Rob Soar

Edited by Haverail
added name
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Haverail said:

I have a DCC Concepts Super-Small Next18 decoder, has anyone used one of these?

I am not familiar with the type, but assuming it's non sound, and marketed as 'super small' it should fit fine. A normal size Next18 decoder fits no problem, as do, of course, the sound ones.

• Like 1

Will admit one of my favourite features with this model is the screw-on NEM sockets, just so much easier to adjust and not break compared with the fishtail type of socket. Hoping any future projects have the same style of coupling as it’s so much better!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Got my grey one, and it's a lovely thing. The only thing I could possibly pull it up on is the lack of a coal piece for the bunker. Are there plans to get some, or is this something we'll have to cure ourselves? 🙂

Thanks, the grey ones are lovely indeed. The concept behind the bunker was no coal meant modellers could model it at the level they wanted. The easiest way to add coal is to add a small piece of grey foam cut to shape, at the height you want. Add in some PVA, spread carefully over the foam, dust on some coal. Tip off the excess and let it dry.

This means you can model it different heights, but if there is a continued demand for an insert I’ll see what we can do as a 3D print.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

any news yet on the sound chips?

Les

We're still waiting for word from our supplier at the moment - the intended decoder has had to be reworked to suit the components they can currently get hold of.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cornelius said:

We're still waiting for word from our supplier at the moment - the intended decoder has had to be reworked to suit the components they can currently get hold of.

They aren’t alone as another manufacturer has said they have managed to find chips for factory fitted models but had to modify things to suit. 

Had the pleasure of running one of these at the Northfleet show a few weekends back, and also at the Tolworth Showtrain the weekend just gone. Utterly stunning bit of kit and nice and weighty too! Any chances of a blue one being produced in the future? 

Edited by D3489gibson
spelling error
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, D3489gibson said:

Any chances of a blue one being produced in the future? 

It's high on our list if the demand is there for a further production run. We're planning a suggestion box for future Victory liveries on the PI stand at Warley, so if you're at the show come along and add your voice.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cornelius said:

Many thanks for that- the layout isn't going out until the beginning of April so we can but hope....

Les

My order from Rails made it to the states, and I am incredibly happy with the model! I'm working on a Scale Scenes dockside boxfile kit for it to shunt on, but for now it happily goes up and down a test track. 

I recently removed a next18 ESU sound decoder from an Oxford Rail Dean Goods and decided to fit it into the Victory to see how the performance was of both the model and speaker. No complaints about the speaker quality and the model ran very well (despite the chuff rate being very off, a simple CV fix). 

Would anyone be able to suggest a sound profile for the Victory, perhaps from a vendor that will just sell the sound profile rather than needing to purchase both a decider and profile? I have a Lokprogrammer and can re-blow ESU decoders if necessary. I'm also wondering if I could just get away with the Dean's sound profile or if it would be much too different from Victory's chuff and whistle? My knowledge of the sound differences of UK Outline steam is rather limited.

Edit: Just came across the Wheeltappers offering for the Victory, might just bite the bullet for that following the holidays!

IMG_20221117_104104_821.jpg

IMG_20221117_104104_844.jpg

Edited by AustinJames
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/11/2022 at 11:37, James Hilton said:

I am not familiar with the type, but assuming it's non sound, and marketed as 'super small' it should fit fine. A normal size Next18 decoder fits no problem, as do, of course, the sound ones.

Just to confirm the Zen super small decoder fitted. there are cables attached (I think to use with a stay alive) that needed to be kept tucked inside when putting the loco back together. 

The grey No.12 looks great on the layout. 

For some reason the loco goes in reverse when the controller is set on forward, would this be a CV issue?

56 minutes ago, Haverail said:

For some reason the loco goes in reverse when the controller is set on forward, would this be a CV issue?

If the loco runs the same as your other models in DC, then yes, otherwise it could be that the motor has been wired in reverse. The ‘easiest’ way, if you’re a DCC user is to change the CV that reverses the direction, which will be in your decoders documentation.

Edited by James Hilton
  • Thanks 1

Yes, mine arrived today and also runs in the opposite direction to that indicated by my controller on DCC.

Simple fix, read CV 29. if the value is even (most likely), then add 1 to that value and write (program) the new value to CV29. If however, the existing value is an odd number, deduct 1 and write the new value to CV29.

I've added a sound decoder so I'll probably post a video shortly.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1

On 17/11/2022 at 22:27, pauliebanger said:

Yes, mine arrived today and also runs in the opposite direction to that indicated by my controller on DCC.

Simple fix, read CV 29. if the value is even (most likely), then add 1 to that value and write (program) the new value to CV29. If however, the existing value is an odd number, deduct 1 and write the new value to CV29.

I've added a sound decoder so I'll probably post a video shortly.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul and James, CV29 was even so added 1 now it runs as expected. Must say it looks great in grey on my layout.

Edited by Haverail

The dark arts of CV's! Odd thing happened when I tried to use my layout the last couple of days, each time nearly all the locos would not run as the decoder had reset to 96 instead of the number allocated! Could not work out what was wrong then remembered that when changing CV 29 on my Victory I was an even number and I deducted 1 instead of adding 1 on. Went back and changed it and all is now well again. 

I'd never have considered that one small change would have a massive effect.

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1