Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

I now eagerly anticipate ( posh phrasing for I’m looking forward) to receiving a BR black …Iford..in which guise I first clapped eyes on a Manor . This one though has quite another resonance for me in that whilst on holiday early in 2002 in France  my late wife and I met the son of the family living & owning that rather beautiful house close to Bath who was cycling on a pilgrim’s route from Rome to Santiago de Compostela .We bought him a drink,enjoyed his company and bade him God speed.Wonder what became of him.  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Update - the tender was on the closest of the two coupling holes, moving this to the other hole has solved the derailing issues. Weirdly there is nothing about this in the manual!

It sounds and looks amazing! The firebox lights up when you operate the sound for shovelling coal, and turns off again when you’ve finished 😀

I think I can put the chimney back on to a satisfactory standard, if that’s the only issue then I’ll just glue it back on 🙂

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

Update on my 7812, I discovered the missing smokebox dart hiding out in the detail bag during what I thought would be my final viewings of the model before packing it up for another transatlantic crossing. Whether this was a spare or the original piece that did not find it's way on to the model is unclear. What is clear however is the front of the loco looks a lot less "disturbing" to look at now. Upon viewing images of other member's models and Accurascale's own images on their website, I believe I have the dart at an incorrect position but I quite like the look of it myself. I'm not sure if I want to send it back anymore at this rate 😂 All's well that end's well I suppose (that is how the saying goes right?).

20230811_125758.jpg

20230811_131603.jpg

20230811_132829.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I'm impressed by the built-in stay alive. I'm using a Zimo MX618N18 without any added stay alive.

Power off and the loco takes about two or three seconds to stop and the firebox* lasts a lot longer.

I assumed originally it was the flywheel(s) but the firebox light shows it's electrical.

*I've got it set to random flicker on F1 with about 2/3 brightness.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

20230811_105240.jpg.f3d359d26fc64773af2b77146dd87876.jpg

Straight out of the Box/Works. Running in turn, on Honiton Incline (East) on the SR, as a replacement Engine at Salisbury for a semi fast to Exeter Central.

What a beautiful Engine this is. Smooth and almost silent (on DC at the moment). Will I eventually fit a Sound Programme? That depends on if there is a genuine 'Bark' on someone's product.

The finish is one of the best I've ever seen on a RTR WR Loco. Thank you Accurascale. 

Phil

This is the first video I’ve seen of the sound, the bark sounds good to me!

I’ve changed my preorder from a DCC ready to a sound model after seeing this! 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor MPD said:

This is the first video I’ve seen of the sound, the bark sounds good to me!

I’ve changed my preorder from a DCC ready to a sound model after seeing this! 

Synchronisation looking good too! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

If I had any wavering doubts as to whether to buy one of these lovely models (a Manor is not a necessity for my roster), then these lovely photos have put paid to them.

Likewise CK, it's so nice and very hard to resist. I wish they were doing it in 7mm too!

The photos in GreatWesternFan220's post show how well the smokebox numberplate has been done, it's only a small detail, but a really important aspect of the face BR WR days...

IMG_7337.JPG.d15691fe6a13661b40a8ea9749dd06e2.JPG

I was indulging in yet another very pleasant trawl through my Bradford Bartons last night and found some lovely Manor shots in the two volumes on 'GW Steam In Wales & The Border Counties'...

IMG_8864.JPG.a74f62aa96fddb7a99aace3aa9cdd796.JPG

IMG_8865.JPG.0dfc47dae8fc66c0bbe8ec79b213ca53.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG.8c5afbd16ea0a357e4dca9a5999cb164.JPG

IMG_8867.JPG.af0381abd7fa910f0e95e0e7d61389f8.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG.de4d6dbe59ba86818ddd5b16411a6035.JPG

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Has anyone managed to get the coal load out of the tender, yet?

It seems to be glued in even though the tender is correctly shaped below it.

Yes. Craft knife at the back of the load. With the bond broken, ease it up to break the bond on the shovelling plate. Be very careful with the fire iron rack – the coal load goes under it. It’s a shame really – I don’t know if I’ll be able to shift the remains of the glue; if I can’t, it’ll have to be a full tender. The glue could have been put to better use under the chimney.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Accurascale meets Dapol! 

The Accurascale model is as ‘out of the box’, the Dapol model to the right has been treated to a coat of ‘Klear’ and some light weathering.

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3318.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Things I like:

-the feel of the buffers, the heavy springing gives them "weight" Vs other offerings

-I can open the tender filler cap

Regarding these two items:

- the buffers are far too heavily sprung to be of any practical use, they might as well be solid.

- To reveal a blocked off hole. In doing so, we're given oversize hinges and on mine, the lid is wonky*. I think it would have been nicer just moulded correctly.

*There's a few other QC issues on mine. Once I've given it a full look over, I'll do a proper write up.

Edited by 57xx
Speeling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Has anyone managed to get the coal load out of the tender, yet?

It seems to be glued in even though the tender is correctly shaped below it.

I've not tried but can clearly see the glue on the back two corners. I'll more than likely just leave it in place

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

Regarding these two items:

- the buffers are far too heavily sprung to be of any practical use, they might as well be solid.

- To reveal a blocked off hole. In doing so, we're given oversize hinges and on mine, the lid is wonky*. I think it would have been nicer just moulded correctly.

*There's a few other QC issues on mine. Once I've given it a full look over, I'll do a proper write up.

Agree about the buffers being too heavily sprung, and I just glued the tender tank filler lid shut! 

Edited by PMP99
Wording

Here is a few photos of 7828 Odney Manor and 7813 Erlstoke Manor today on the West Somerset Railway. 

I fabulous railway to visit if you ever get the chance. It’s nice to have a proper long ride behind a steam loco. 

5199 was also covered in microphones today as there was a model company that was un-named recording the sound for a model being produced. 

IMG_0336.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0337.jpeg

Edited by Trainsandtravel
Spelling.
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2