KR Models to make SR Class 4DD

Martin_R

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2021 at 12:43, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't think that anyone saw that coming! A really left-field choice.

Like others, I saw these units almost every day at LB when I was commuting (early 1976) but never managed to travel on one. I think that I would have found it a bit claustrophobic.

A correction needed. Reading further down the thread shows a withdrawal date of 1971. So I must have seen them on journeys from school to home (1970 , Charing Cross - Hayes). 

I still find this a truly odd choice when so many other Southern EMUs are still not covered. 

Did they ever run in service as a single unit?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2023 at 17:22, Southernman46 said:

Yes, some good stuff here .......... single working ended quite early on. Non-buckeye EMUS were always a right PITA to couple / uncouple.

BloodandCustard - 4DD Double-Deck units

Thanks, I was wondering about 1 blue, and 1 green, but as they worked together and got repainted together that wont work.

ive ordered mine from Rails.

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2023 at 15:05, Joseph_Pestell said:

I still find this a truly odd choice when so many other Southern EMUs are still not covered. 

But if, as many are suggesting, this - apparently  in common with other KR offerings - is a little less than perfect, let's be grateful that they chose an obscure unit, rather than the hallowed ground like the Nelsons that would be a bigger market success if decently done.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2023 at 23:25, Oldddudders said:

But if, as many are suggesting, this - apparently  in common with other KR offerings - is a little less than perfect, let's be grateful that they chose an obscure unit, rather than the hallowed ground like the Nelsons that would be a bigger market success if decently done.

What’s wrong with the Hornby Nelson’s? They were a big improvement on the old Bachmann one. 

• Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

What’s wrong with the Hornby Nelson’s? They were a big improvement on the old Bachmann one. 

Neither look anything like a 4COR!

Jon

But neither would the KR models one if they tried, so its a great relief they haven't!

Edited by jonhall
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

43 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Mine is Lord Rodney in early BR livery. The finish is very poor. It appeared at a time when Hornby seemed to have lost the ability to produce decent finishes.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just for avoidance of doubt and further silliness, Nelson's was the nickname for the 4-cor emus due to their one eyed look.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

34 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Just for avoidance of doubt and further silliness, Nelson's was the nickname for the 4-cor emus due to their one eyed look.

and the Portsmouth association ....................................

On 22/06/2023 at 14:05, Joseph_Pestell said:

The thing about modellers is that we tend to want one each of loads of different prototypes because we find them all interesting.

The real railway's just not like that.  The next train up the branch looks just like the last one - what they use is a fleet of some particular type. 

It's easier that way for driver and fitter training, stocks of spare parts etc.  And Southern Electrics looked just like a glorified heavy-duty and relatively high-speed version of  a traditional urban tram system, pretty efficient despite all the whingeing of  commuters

From a manufacturer's point of view the double decker is attractive precisely because it is so different to all those other EMUs, and will therefore appeal to this modllers' preference for something different.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... The next train up the branch looks just like the last one ...

Up my local branch we've had 'Networkers' from two different manufacturers and class 376 for umpteen years - now some 707s have flown in to give three totally incompatible types. In pre-Networker days we had EPBs of two basic styles and innumerable individual configurations - but prior to the EPBs we had 4SUBs of Bulleid style ( plus a few Maunsell style ) and earlier rebuilds with pre-grouping bodies : those had run as three-car sets from electrification - with two-car trailers for peak hours ............................. I don't think they all looked the same ! 😊

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Their uneconomic nature being commented upon thousands of times, it feels, in hundreds of different threads on RMWeb, does not stop me wishing for almost any decent R.-T.-R. S.R. E.M.U.  I am now desperate enough to want a '377'.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2023 at 19:19, Graham_Muz said:

Thanks for the non-sarcastic answer Graham. I’m not a southern man so have no idea about the units nicknames. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/06/2023 at 16:23, Wickham Green too said:

Up my local branch we've had 'Networkers' from two different manufacturers and class 376 for umpteen years - now some 707s have flown in to give three totally incompatible types.

"Flown in" sounds right for 707s.  I used to use them when I had to travel long distance for work.

But I gather Class 707 is also an EMU that looks much the same as the Class 700s we have on our line now.

On 27/06/2023 at 16:39, C126 said:

Their uneconomic nature being commented upon thousands of times, it feels, in hundreds of different threads on RMWeb, does not stop me wishing for almost any decent R.-T.-R. S.R. E.M.U.  I am now desperate enough to want a '377'.

Indeed - back in 1982 I started a project using Ian Kirk Maunsell coaches to attempt something that looked like a 4-COR and it would have been a bit rubbish and require some suspension of reality.

Now here I sit the lucky possessor of R-T-R models of a 2-EPB, 4-VEP, 4-CEP x 2, 4-BEP, 4-TC, MLV in 2 liveries, 2-HAL, 2-BIL in 2 liveries, 2-H DEMU, 5-BEL and am awaiting the inevitable blue 2-HAP .............. never dreamed of this way back then.

So I am looking forward to the 4DD even if it's not 100% accurate - I don't have the life left to worry about perfection in such things - let's hope KR don't give up on it

Then maybe someone will take the plunge with the 4-EPB, 4-SUB, 4-CIG, 4-COR.

Edited by Southernman46
Forgot the Brighton Belle !!
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

So I am looking forward to the 4DD even if it's not 100% accurate - I don't have the life left to worry about perfection in such things - let's hope KR don't give up on it

Don't worry, I don't think there's much danger of that, they seem to be too far down the road already to cancel now. 

I think it's only responding to this forum they've given up on.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

"Flown in" sounds right for 707s.  I used to use them when I had to travel long distance for work.

But I gather Class 707 is also an EMU that looks much the same as the Class 700s we have on our line now.

When you see a 700 and a 707 side by side the only differences I see is colour and number of coaches.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Halvarras said:

It's truly something to behold with all those windows - and........has the shape of the nearest cab windscreen been amended to have more rounded corners?

I was looking at that windscreen too - it's hard to tell from the angle, but the surround looks to be the correct shape (or much nearer than it was), but is the actual windscreen also reshaped to match? We need to see a front-on view, I think. 

I'm still not ordering one until I can see that the front "face" looks right.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

If they've addressed the windscreen this should be a very good model of a fascinating prototype. The roof curve looks better to the point that even if the windows are still less than ideal that wouldn't put me off buying this one as on balance it looks to be a nice model and the price seems good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Halvarras said:

It's truly something to behold with all those windows - and........has the shape of the nearest cab windscreen been amended to have more rounded corners?

To my eyes the front end still looks like an EPB not a SUB. Just need to to see front end picture....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1