KR Models to make SR Class 4DD

Martin_R

The window into roof shape looks reasonable now and I think that the cab windows are about right as well.

The lighting is not good, but I do not think that the shade of green is too far off.

Some more pictures would be helpful.

Hope that they can get this out for the end of the year. It will make a very nice Christmas present.

Keep up the good work KR.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Hope that they can get this out for the end of the year. It will make a very nice Christmas present.

According to their website, the Availability is "In stock (can be backordered)"

On the other hand they must be using a very slow courier service as it also says  "Estimated delivery 1st Qtr 2024"

PS

Pricing is just as confusing :

"Bulleid 4DD EMU

GBP£312.50 – GBP£395.83"

at the top of the page, whilst at the bottom of the same page

"Priced at £375 DCC Ready, £405 DCC Fitted, £475 DCC Sound"

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Update on Facebook! 

IMG_3141.jpeg

Hi,

How can this be a decorated sample with no coach numbering, lettering or BR Emblems? It still looks like an engineering prototype that just happens to be have been produced in a shade of green vaguely near to Southern green?

At best it is a paint sample...

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Pricing is just as confusing :

"Bulleid 4DD EMU

GBP£312.50 – GBP£395.83"

at the top of the page, whilst at the bottom of the same page

"Priced at £375 DCC Ready, £405 DCC Fitted, £475 DCC Sound"

Those look like the prices with and without VAT.

• Agree 6

47 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

How can this be a decorated sample with no coach numbering, lettering or BR Emblems? It still looks like an engineering prototype that just happens to be have been produced in a shade of green vaguely near to Southern green?

At best it is a paint sample...

Simon

Because it is a sample, which has been decorated. It might not be fully decorated, but the first decorated sample tends to just be the base colour, once that is refined a model can be sprayed that colour and then have the decals printed on it for the second decorated sample. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

Because it is a sample, which has been decorated. It might not be fully decorated, but the first decorated sample tends to just be the base colour, once that is refined a model can be sprayed that colour and then have the decals printed on it for the second decorated sample. 

Yes, but generally, models manufactures use the term decorated sample with the consumer to show a product with all it's decoration, not just a paint sample, I can't think of many manufactures that show just a painted sample (other than after the fully decorated ones to confirm a colour has been corrected). Internally within a company the term 'decorated sample' maybe used for a number of samples within the decoration process, but the convention seems to be that the 'public' 'decorated sample' is one that has full decoration.

I would say this is a painted sample, rather than a decorated sample, at least in publicity terms.

Plus the post indicates that the only thing needs changing before full production is the colour, doesn't say anything about a second sample to confirm lettering / numbering.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I think we all know that KR's communication skills aren't the best. We can argue over whether it should be  called a  decorated sample or a painted sample but ultimately the model is showing progress and appears to have addressed one of the concerns with earlier samples. Which is  positive  and to be  welcomed. 

• Agree 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Yes, but generally, models manufactures use the term decorated sample with the consumer to show a product with all it's decoration, not just a paint sample, I can't think of many manufactures that show just a painted sample (other than after the fully decorated ones to confirm a colour has been corrected).

ive learned that KR is no “general” model company.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Despite not being interested in stabiliser rail units, or freak one-offs, I have to say the units do look very good even if the green is too dark (apparently).  For those who like such things, with luck it might tempt the firm into making some other Bullied units like the SUB and the Bullied style HAP and EPB if this is well received.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

When I questioned the lack of central grey roof panel I got the response "yes, it's not the full decorated sample"

So, not quite as ready for production as their post implied…

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I am advised that KR Models will be fitting the LokPilot decoder to this model.  I am trying to Ddecide whether  to go with this or whether to get DCC ready and fit something else.  Has anyone any thoughts on this?

All about personal preference. I like the LokPilot/LokSound, others prefer Zimo. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

As someone who is not particularly well-versed in DCC, the few times I've looked into 'chipping' a loco, I've usually seen ESU LokSound chips recommended.   Contrarily, I have seen very recent reports (from the Rapido N scale Class 28 thread) that current production chips are suffering from quality-control issues.

• Thanks 1

On 23/08/2023 at 14:22, Colin_McLeod said:

I am advised that KR Models will be fitting the LokPilot decoder to this model.  I am trying to Ddecide whether  to go with this or whether to get DCC ready and fit something else.  Has anyone any thoughts on this?

Not in the market for this model, but in terms of DCC chips, for fine motor control, Zimo wins hands down straight out the box. The ESU needs a bit of work to get smooth take offs. To my mind early EMUs tended to be quite jerky with their acceleration, so an ESU would be fine. I have them in my Class 303s but have Zimos in my Blue Pullman and PWM 165.

Neil.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Just look at the number of uniformed platform staff that train needed (around the 49 seconds mark) !

It was the first demonstration run and everyone had turned out to see it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...