Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

I've just re-watched it. The only exterior changes SK mentions in particular are the front end and improvements to the inter-car couplings. Interior wise, he mentions an upgrade to a 21-pin socket and a speaker chamber.

Thank you.  Nowhere near enough to justify the price tag though so it is a no from me.

Wow excellent, lots of modern era stuff. Better start saving now for the 60s and FGW HST.

I wonder how they will tackle the nose on 37116? Also the last time I saw a Colas 67 the yellow and orange extended further down. Or has it has had a recent repaint? 

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Thank you.  Nowhere near enough to justify the price tag though so it is a no from me.

We haven't seen any actual shots of the improved version yet, so i'll wait to pass judgement until once i've seen it. Tbh, though, i'm not sure I would want to take a knife to a plus £300 model to improve it . It was bad enough doing it to one of the original run that I bought for £140..... Let's wait and see.

As an aside regarding price, you should see the price of the multiple units over at Hornby International.

https://uk.electrotren.com/products/electrotren-h0-187-renfe-3-unit-dmu-class-592-cercanias-period-v-vi-e3420 - 3-Car Spanish DMU at almost £400.... Admittedly, this is post the new price rises, and does feature a central can motor with twin flywheels, but I hope you see the comparison.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Whilst I welcome with open arms the South Central (NOT Southern, the Southern branding was not introduced until the slammers had gone) liveried 4-VEP, we need to know exactly how much has been upgraded and amended from the badly messed up curates egg that was the first VEP releases which had numerous tooling errors and could not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

That is not correct. South Central was renamed Southern in early 2004 by Govia who had taken over the franchise from Connex. That was some time before the last Southern VEPs went (November 2005).

Roy

• Agree 2

On 05/01/2022 at 13:46, AY Mod said:

Slide209.JPG

Slide210.JPG

I am a bit confused about these, are they packs of 2 wagons (and therefore only £22.50 each after discount) or for one wagon as the livery is different on either side? The fact it says pack to me means 2 wagons but my gut says it is 1 wagon given the pricing and the artwork could be on both sides.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am a bit confused about these, are they packs of 2 wagons (and therefore only £22.50 each after discount) or for one wagon but the livery is different on either side? The fact it says pack to me means 2 wagons but my gut says it is 1 wagon given the pricing and the artwork could be on both sides.

The quoted wagon number (83 70 0698 012-7) - is the same for both catalog numbers.....

And being a Tier 1 exclusive, we finally get to find out who they (tier 1) are......

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am a bit confused about these, are they packs of 2 wagons (and therefore only £22.50 each after discount) or for one wagon but the livery is different on either side? The fact it says pack to me means 2 wagons but my gut says it is 1 wagon given the pricing and the artwork could be on both sides.

I'd say it's one wagon (with different artwork on each side). Kernow's listing would seem to bear that out - https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/74437/R60176-Hornby-Drax-Biomass-Wagon-number-83-70-0698-012-7 - many things are often unclear in the initial presentation information.

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

Interesting livery variant on the original NSE of 50044. Not seen any pics of it with the wraparound black window surrounds, but I always though that it would look good like that at the time. The only slight problem is that I have become addicted to reprofiling the front on the Hornby 50 and adding the Shawplan screens, so it would affect the lovely paint job, so better for me to buy secondhand to chop about.

My wallet is safe for now.

I too cannot find any photos of ‘Exeter’ in old NSE livery with black window surrounds.  Hornby need to correct this.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

I'm hoping they offer the separate-motor driven HST fan unit as a spare to upgrade older models, and possibly other classes too.

That would be a really nice idea, provided that it can be readily retrofitted into the older-style chassis (don't know how much/if any revision will have occurred to the internal chassis block itself).

• Like 1

OK, so moving on now then and when is the Accurascale 2022 announcement please??? 

Only kidding of course, there is some interesting stuff there for sure but I'm a little stunned by the price for example of a Class 60, at over £220! 

Weren't they £79ish when they were first released and have had only basic tweaks over the years? 

Shed. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Katie87006 said:

the Hornby railraod plus range is a range of railroad spec locos that have all the painted and printed details of their main spec range. Etched namelates are added where applicable. The cl31 you are referring to is the old lima cl31 with nem couplers, 5-pole motors and 8-pin dcc.

It always baffles me why the Class 66 stays in the main range rather than moving to Railroad Plus - it would seem much more appropriate for it.

• Agree 2

It is odd - the 66 in terms of both price and spec is bang in Railroad Plus territory,

Re VEP pricing, it's a lot of money but compared to Bratchell/professional kit building etc I defy anyone to be able to achieve either a Southern or SWT VEP for that price. Just look at what the early ones (complete with the known shortcomings) have been making secondhand - over £300 with commission etc is not uncommon for either the NSE or Blue Grey.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Shedmaster said:

OK, so moving on now then and when is the Accurascale 2022 announcement please??? 

Only kidding of course, there is some interesting stuff there for sure but I'm a little stunned by the price for example of a Class 60, at over £220! 

Weren't they £79ish when they were first released and have had only basic tweaks over the years? 

Shed. 

I think I've got used to current pricing and wasn't shocked... I remember picking up a few canisps for a discounted £79 and then being shocked at paying around 100 for one! 

Some nice announcements in the D&E world with probably the MK3 retool being the most interesting for me (I'd be tempted by the fag packet hst but sadly don't have the space or bank account for a set)

Interesting livery on 50044.

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

The way multiple units seem to be priced, and prices are moving generally, it seems likely we'll soon be doing very well to stay under £100-a-car.

John

The Class 800 5 car packs are showing RRP at £502.49

On Kernow they have two different LNER Azumas

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/66941/R3827-Hornby-LNER-Hitachi-Class-800-1-Azuma-Set-800-104

And

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/74245/R3965-Hornby-LNER-Class-801-5-Car-Train-Pack

The R3827 is shown as £391.99  (£434.49 RRP) and the R3965 is £ 452.99  (£502.49 RRP)

I wonder why the price difference?

Maybe because the first set was announced in 2021?

Peter

44 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am a bit confused about these, are they packs of 2 wagons (and therefore only £22.50 each after discount) or for one wagon as the livery is different on either side? The fact it says pack to me means 2 wagons but my gut says it is 1 wagon given the pricing and the artwork could be on both sides.

Different vinyls on opposite side of prototype wagons!

2 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Different vinyls on opposite side of prototype wagons!

I know, it's just with it being called a "pack". If you look at the Revolution/Rails N gauge ones they have pretty much the same illustration, and it is 2 wagons with the same livery in the pack.

I have asked Kernow for clarification and to double up on my order if it is for singles.

I'm confused about the East Midlands HST. It says 'East Midlands Railway' in the title but the picture is of an 'East Midlands Trains' liveried one. 'East Midlands Railway' and 'East Midlands Trains' are/were two separate TOC's so either the title or photo is incorrect.

• Like 3

What a disappointment!

Like many I suspect, I was interested to see if the Class 50 was represented in this range.

Whilst it's good to see two examples the pricing is massively overpriced in my opinion when compared to, for example the new Bachmann 47 or the forthcoming Heljan Peak or Accurascale Deltic or 37.

The 50 is a dated model and it'll be interesting to see if the long overdue 21 pin socket provides for prototypical control of individual lights!

The glaring error of the black window surround on 50044 doesn't bode well either and only time will tell if we're to see yet another variation of the NSE blue colouring applied to this model.

Mike

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, bart2day said:

I'm confused about the East Midlands HST. It says 'East Midlands Railway' in the title but the picture is of an 'East Midlands Trains' liveried one. 'East Midlands Railway' and 'East Midlands Trains' are/were two separate TOC's so either the title or photo is incorrect.

I'm pretty sure they mean EMT and references to EMR are a copy error

• Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Also, has anyone found anywhere to pre-order yet, or are retailers now playing safe in case they get their supply cut again ? 

Kernow, KMS Railtech & Invicta are some of the retailers I've found who are accepting pre-orders.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

The Class 800 5 car packs are showing RRP at £502.49

On Kernow they have two different LNER Azumas

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/66941/R3827-Hornby-LNER-Hitachi-Class-800-1-Azuma-Set-800-104

And

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/74245/R3965-Hornby-LNER-Class-801-5-Car-Train-Pack

The R3827 is shown as £391.99  (£434.49 RRP) and the R3965 is £ 452.99  (£502.49 RRP)

I wonder why the price difference?

Maybe because the first set was announced in 2021?

Peter

Theres 3 different LNER 800’s being released now (i had to check)…

r3762.. announced 2020.. 5 car 800/1 version artwork shows 800201

r3827.. announced 2021.. 5 car 800/1 “scottish” version with Saltaire flag 800104

r3965.. announced 2022.. 5 car 801 (with an addon pack available r40350 to make 9 car) 801214… 

i should point out Hornby.com is already showing sold out of R3965, and R3762 is in stock.

4A33DC86-FB85-4820-AC7A-18C2D2CE49D2.jpeg.ceaf5cfcdd4c2bef410eaf0503c4f09b.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mevaman1 said:

I too cannot find any photos of ‘Exeter’ in old NSE livery with black window surrounds.  Hornby need to correct this.

For the price, I’d also like (or expect) to see the cab gutters, windscreens and nose profile correcting too. 

• Agree 3

Lot of nice kit coming up. I like that Class 60. May have to save up for one for this  year along with another NDM. I think I will wait a couple of years until I get another HST. 

Edited by wairoa
  • Agree 1