Graham Farish Spring 2023 announcements

AY Mod

5 minutes ago, grahame said:

Not so, but I made it clear, having exchanged emails with Bachmann, that all new items were unlikely to be announced until the mid year (summer and autumn) announcements. So expectations for the spring announcement would likely be light (nothing all new, no coach reruns, etc) although the number of wagon reruns is encouraging.

And yes, there has been quite an expectation for new items even if you haven't seen it. In the last 24 hours, on another RMweb thread, Woodenhead wish listed "a first generation DMU that is not a 101 or 108" and Roy LS said "I would love something steam that is brand spanking new". And I'd certainly like to see their EPB shrunk down to N gauge. There have been others of course.

Hardly wishlisting, I said if they announced something new 1st gen I might give a Yippee - I don't have any expectations of anything these days within or outside of railway modelling.

So. With the NGS crane, a couple of bolster wagons with rails on them, and a couple of Seacows with ballast I could make up quite a nice engineer's train.

Glass half full. 🥃

Add in a short rake of tank wagons and there's another nice train for the layout. 

Glass full. 🍺

The green early crest 08 looks nice. But for now I have enough locos running light engine! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Not so, but I made it clear, having exchanged emails with Bachmann, that all new items were unlikely to be announced until the mid year (summer and autumn)

I have obviously missed the announcement of your appointment as  Bachman’s official spokesman. Glad that you’ve “made it clear” Grahame: no need for any of the rest of us to express any other opinions.

Richard

I have to say they do seem to be listening a bit, we have been clamouring for seacows for a while and they do numerous liveries - some not offered before - but those Dutch will prove popular as they seem to be the main one's that suffered the price hike on 2nd hand. But to me the 2 08's show they listen to the market, I am not 100% sure on the green but you cannot get a blue sound one nowadays so this will meet demand. There will be more stuff as they only show "new" not existing plans so what's already in the catalogue will bulk this out a bit

Now about those Mk2 TSO's and Mk1 SK and SO coaches... 😉

• RMweb Premium

Another Bachmann announcement containing little. Yes the wagons are welcome but as Bachmann's publicity department built up excitement by saying "the largest number of new items to  be announced in a British Railway Announcements to date covering multiple scales and across the eras" it is reasonable to be disappointed by the fact that in n gauge this amounts to re-liveries of 2 classes of loco (both very recent releases) and new liveries on 5 types of wagons. 

I wish that for Bachmann would return to annual announcements for Farish. It would make the announcement feel like a real event not a worthless tiny announcement. I accept that this can cause problems in the delivery timescales but as many Farish announcements do not arrive within the promised 3 month window (a 6 month window would be more accurate), this would be more acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, shanks522 said:

First thing that struck me was the Kent coast signal box, was half expecting to see and EPB pop up, must be wishful thinking. 

Graham 

Must admit both the signal box and (finally) the CLASP station building in N gauge gives me hope, although for me I would much prefer the HAP or BEP.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Kris said:

Another Bachmann announcement containing little. Yes the wagons are welcome but as Bachmann's publicity department built up excitement by saying "the largest number of new items to  be announced in a British Railway Announcements to date covering multiple scales and across the eras" it is reasonable to be disappointed by the fact that in n gauge this amounts to re-liveries of 2 classes of loco (both very recent releases) and new liveries on 5 types of wagons. 

I wish that for Bachmann would return to annual announcements for Farish. It would make the announcement feel like a real event not a worthless tiny announcement. I accept that this can cause problems in the delivery timescales but as many Farish announcements do not arrive within the promised 3 month window (a 6 month window would be more accurate), this would be more acceptable. 

Plus it would help modellers plan for future investment.

• Like 1

Yes, the lack of Mk2 aircon coaches is a disappointment, but at least there's a hope that future announcements will include coaches with alternative running numbers.  I wouldn't mind some more blue and grey Mk1 and 2A coaches too.

I quite like the look of the low-relief buildings, I might even buy some to create a street scene.

The southern region station building and signal box would look good alongside some classic 3rd rail EMUs.  Just saying, Bachmann...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am still holding out for a Southern liveried Class 319 but there is only so much longer I am willing to hold back potential investment in other projects and if they don't stump up, it will be another 313 or 377 from Revolution added to the shopping list instead.

On 01/02/2023 at 18:10, Kris said:

This is what I don't understand, as Bachmann went from "we'll announce it and then it may get made in the next five years or so" to " we'll announce it and then release it in the next three months". Why couldn't they just switch to a system where they would only announce new items annually if they knew for certain that they could be released in next 18 months or so? They've gone from one extreme to the other.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

This is what I don't understand, as Bachmann went from "we'll announce it and then it may get made in the next five years or so" to " we'll announce it and then release it in the next three months". Why couldn't they just switch to a system where they would only announce new items annually if they knew for certain that they could be released in next 18 months or so? They've gone from one extreme to the other.

and in a relatively small market it looks like there is a very limited number of announcements . I’d go back to yearly announcement with the stuff arriving in the next 12 months . It was the years delays that caused the ridicule 

• Agree 1

I think currently it wouldn’t be that easy to start out in N Gauge with what’s available. I’m an OO modeller now but have some N from from the late 90s/early 2000s when I was a child. Looking back at one of the old Farish catalogues it seems like there was a lot more available then than now. The quality looks so much better now than it did back then but at least there were plenty of train sets and a large variety of locos and coaches in different liveries which were quite easy to get hold of. Some of the train sets were pretty big as well! 

2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

That Scenecraft grounded coach is horrendous.  Looks like the roof is made from badly painted plasticine...

I had the same thought when I saw it, taking the price into consideration, people would be much better off finding an old second-hand coach body for a fiver and doing a bit of simple modelling...

Roy

• Agree 4

On 01/02/2023 at 14:07, RichardT said:

I have obviously missed the announcement of your appointment as  Bachman’s official spokesman. Glad that you’ve “made it clear"

Just to make it clear, as you seem to have assumed something that is not correct, I'm not Bachmann's official spokesman. Therefore you won't have missed such an announcement.

Edited by grahame
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann had a presence at the Alton show this weekend, most of the new Farish rolling stock announcements were on show and most should be in shops in the next 1-2 months was the word. 

looking forward to the Freightliner 90 having seen it in the flesh now. 

09EF2C94-A697-4FE7-839F-847159D5A0E8.jpeg.491391690b20dc776d103cad451ff64f.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 9

On 01/02/2023 at 14:12, Ed-farms said:

I have to say they do seem to be listening a bit, we have been clamouring for seacows for a while and they do numerous liveries - some not offered before - but those Dutch will prove popular as they seem to be the main one's that suffered the price hike on 2nd hand. But to me the 2 08's show they listen to the market, I am not 100% sure on the green but you cannot get a blue sound one nowadays so this will meet demand. There will be more stuff as they only show "new" not existing plans so what's already in the catalogue will bulk this out a bit

Now about those Mk2 TSO's and Mk1 SK and SO coaches... 😉

Sealions are welcome here too and have been waiting on a release for a while. However £60 is way too expensive and prohibitively expensive to build a reasonable rake. Even with inflated prices recently I would not have expected an rrp anywhere north of £40. Appreciate the security nd hand price was rediculous but that was driven by imbalance of supply/demand. 

• Agree 1

Well I already bought 2 Tango Freightliner 90’s, expecting the green ones to be a year out.
How wrong can you be?

So what excuse can I make to acquire some green ones?

Or do I wait for all those lovely DB ones that will show up as soon as I empty my wallet?

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Well I already bought 2 Tango Freightliner 90’s, expecting the green ones to be a year out.
How wrong can you be?

So what excuse can I make to acquire some green ones?

Or do I wait for all those lovely DB ones that will show up as soon as I empty my wallet?

Regards,

John P

Well if you buy a green one, they'll announce them as the next regional editions with Frieghtliner TTG, Scotrail 'Barbie', EWS, DB red, and one of the East Anglian liveries too....

Then you will have an empty wallet, but you've just got to grab them while you can, because the class 85 will move in next and the class 90s won't appear again for nigh on 10 years....

Edited by Davexoc
  • Funny 2

On 02/02/2023 at 19:16, montyburns56 said:

I imagine they don't "know for certain". 

On 04/02/2023 at 13:33, MoonM said:

Appreciate the security nd hand price was rediculous but that was driven by imbalance of supply/demand. 

Totally agree the lack of supply caused the high price of these, if supply now outstrips demand they will eventually end up in the bargain bin. This is the gamble you have to take, buy now or wait for the TMC, Rails, MRD etc Sale email where they go to 40% off

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent much of my time travelling on 319’s I hope that Farish will produce some more Thameslink liveries (including the ‘colourful’ Thameslink Project scheme found on 319364 and 365) and the First C(r)apital * Connect Urban Lights scheme.

For something special Farish may want to consider 319008 and 009 which travelled through the Channel Tunnel and back in December 1993 with a party of invited guests following the handover of its operations and management to Eurotunnel.  In March 1994 the units were named Cheriton and Coquelles respectively and had plaques with the Union Flag and the Tricolore installed on their motor carriages.  On the same day they went on to set a record for the fastest time between London an Brighton.

* So named by despairing commuters because of the poor level of service provided by FCC.

• Like 1