February announcement?

NXEA!

I don't understand why Bachmann seem to have given up on producing any new steam locomotives (not counting commissions for retailers etc like the Caledonain 812). Surely there are still some gaps in the market which can be filled?

The main one is the 8F. Hornby's model is getting long in the tooth and is only rarely in the catalogue these days. Bachmann make the 9F, the Super D, the SDJR 7F, the Robinson 04, and the WD 2-8-0. It's surely a no brainer to put a new tooled 8F in alongside those and complete the range of heavy freight locomotives.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SD85 said:

I don't understand why Bachmann seem to have given up on producing any new steam locomotives (not counting commissions for retailers etc like the Caledonain 812). Surely there are still some gaps in the market which can be filled?

The main one is the 8F. Hornby's model is getting long in the tooth and is only rarely in the catalogue these days. Bachmann make the 9F, the Super D, the SDJR 7F, the Robinson 04, and the WD 2-8-0. It's surely a no brainer to put a new tooled 8F in alongside those and complete the range of heavy freight locomotives.

I'm hopeful that they haven't given up. Whilst I not longer expect a new steam announcement the lack so far may well be the development period. If we consider the decision to make a certain model to delivery to shops period is 3 years or so then we're about at the period that any model that was chosen since the change in announcement policy may be approaching delivery.

• Like 1

Good afternoon SD85,

Certainly agree with you there, having examples of the 7F, Super D and ROD (well, WR 30xx version) myself.

All are fine locos and a 8F would complement these nicely.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SD85 said:

Its not about filling the gaps though - its about what is commercially viable. Agree an 8F to modern standards would sell well from the first run at least though there is an argument that it lacks sufficient variation in terms of livery and distinct features. There is also the problem of making a model to current expectations and hitting a market friendly price point.  I wonder if Bachmann might seek to go further down the EFE route in this respect  - the recent Southern electric was very competitively priced although the downside of this was it wasnt quite to Bachmann main range standards. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, SD85 said:

About a thousand locomotives missing before we are even close to that!

The L&Y alone had over 200 0-8-0s. CR, GNR, GCR, NER, etc also had them. Only the NER Q6s have been made out of those. Many of which lasted until near the end of steam in the 1960s.

Then you've got the Fowler 7Fs. Very much an open goal.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

For me stop artificially inflating the number of new models announced. "9 new models" turns out to be one loco, in 3 different liveries, each available DCC Ready, DCC Sound and DCC Sound Deluxe.

I too anticipate we will see a couple more 47 liveries to beat Heljan to the shelves, as they did with Accurascale and the 37s. Personally i hope we've seen the last of new 37s from Bachmann for a year or so - now have more than enough to be going on with and no budget to pay for more. Has anyone else noticed that there are no "missing" catalogue numbers produced of the new 37s, but there are for the 47s.

Coaches is my priority for now - more BR(S) green Bulleids as 3-sets and the loose BCK, and the common(est) Mk1 types please.

Edited by brushman47544
more info
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

For me stop artificially inflating the number of new models announced. "9 new models" turns out to be one loco, in 3 different liveries, each available DCC Ready, DCC Sound and DCC Sound Deluxe.

I too anticipate we will see a couple more 47 liveries to beat Heljan to the shelves, as they did with Accurascale and the 37s. Personally i hope we've seen the last of new 37s from Bachmann for a year or so - now have more than enough to be going on with and no budget to pay for more. Has anyone else noticed that there are no "missing" catalogue numbers produced of the new 37s, but there are for the 47s.

Coaches is my priority for now - more BR(S) green Bulleids as 3-sets and the loose BCK, and the common(est) Mk1 types please.

If Bachmann release some mainstream Brush type 4 /Class 47 liveries they will leave Heljan in a very difficult position I fear - a better model at a lower price point .Hornby Railroad version already popular at the budget end of the market

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

I wonder if they'll announce a retool of a long termer in their inventory?

They've done the 47 and 37.

What's next?

Class 08, prototype over 60 years old, lots of liveries and detail variations. Would not be surprised if Accurascale already have it on their radar (in development).

Cheers

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Im just trying to think, have they produced a banger blue silver roof scottish push pull 47/7 yet?

Anyway im sure a new version whether blue or LL would go down well.

Id like to see some twin or even triple coach packs too.

I really dont see them doing the class 86 but that said i think Heljan still havent quite mastered the look of the high speed pantograph not conpared to the Bachmann 90 one.

For a bit of innovation its about time coaching stock had dummy cabling inbetween them including flexible gangway connections but if we are already nudging 100 a coach this would surely add even more to it......accurascale take note as your 59 seems a relative bargain for a mk2 with lights.

Wouldn't surprise me if more 47s are announced, maybe a retool 57.

Intercity Swallow mk1s would be nice and how about a Dutch OBA? Or a Mainline/Loadhual OCA. Then since we already have a BDA it wouldn't take much to do a BMA, BNA, BPA. 

From a personal perspective any of the above would be welcomed by myself. 

• RMweb Gold

Come on Barwell Boys, prove me wrong in my view that you’ve given up on new steam prototypes, and produce an 1854 half-cab pannier (and the saddle version as well if you like) using the 57xx/8750 chassis.  You know it makes sense; AC are bringing panniers out and this would keep you in the game and arguably ahead of it!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/01/2024 at 09:57, Geep7 said:

Also, another run of plain blue Mk1 GUV's would be nice, they are like hens teeth, unless you want it with BR Property Board on the side. As an aside, anyone bought one of them, and managed to remove the Property Board logos and stripes without affecting the livery?

No 😭 

I really needed a blue GUV to complete a rake but, as you say they're like hens teeth so I bought a Property Board version in the hope that removing the logos would be straightforward. I've never done this sort of thing before but had read on here how Bachmann decals were easy to remove with a cotton bud and IPA. However, whilst that might be the case for numbers, it was clearly expecting too much for the large decals on this model.

I've put it to one side in disgust at the moment but will eventually get stripped and re-sprayed 🙄

IMG-20231231-WA0014.jpg.2f6d142e37cf38c2a0c26d0048d0e24c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

No 😭 

I really needed a blue GUV to complete a rake but, as you say they're like hens teeth so I bought a Property Board version in the hope that removing the logos would be straightforward. I've never done this sort of thing before but had read on here how Bachmann decals were easy to remove with a cotton bud and IPA. However, whilst that might be the case for numbers, it was clearly expecting too much for the large decals on this model.

I've put it to one side in disgust at the moment but will eventually get stripped and re-sprayed 🙄

Ah, it doesn't look that easy, you have my sympathies. Mind you, you could probably give it a heavy weathering job. That exomover they used to use in the 1970's to wash carriages would fade BR Blue.... although I wouldn't have thought a GUV in NPC service would go near a carriage washer very often.

1 hour ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

No 😭 

Thanks for sharing that photo. I was pondering whether to try that too as I am also keen to pick up a few blue GUVs. I think I will carry on waiting for someone to produce some!

As someone relatively new to the hobby, it always amazes me that what I would call 'bread and butter' rolling stock is often so hard to find e.g. GUVs, CCTs, Mk1 and Mk2 coaches, TTAs, HEAs, TEAs, Dogfish, Sealions etc. It definately presents a barrier to new modellers creating a layout.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

I wonder if they'll announce a retool of a long termer in their inventory?

They've done the 47 and 37.

What's next?

Strictly speaking Bachmann have already retooled the class 20, the "skinhead" 24, newly tooled the headcode version, and are currently on the class 25s.  But they may be a little out of your timeline.

As a transition era  LMR man those are my bases covered.  I have to be patient that once the two class 25s already announced are released then further 25s will be announced in 2025.

Really, the only diesel I would like to see from Bachmann is the LMS jackshaft design 7080-7119 which became 12003-12032. The vast majority were withdrawn in 1967 and at least one got BR blue, but they didn't receive a TOPS classification.  

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

Speaking of retools you missed the 03 & 43.

My thoughts are a retooled 08/09 considering the variations in livery & locos itself .I say it would be commercially viable.

& yes i am aware of the Hornby model .

Edited by Suzy Sulzer
added too
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Speaking of retools you missed the 03 & 43.

My thoughts are a retooled 08/09 considering the variations in livery & locos itself .I say it would be commercially viable.

& yes i am aware of the Hornby model .

There's still one other diesel that hasn't been mentioned recently.

• Like 1