Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Have passed onto a couple of friends who have social media accounts and they are going to repost with a link to this thread.

Truly awful news, lets hope some positive outcome can be achieved - despite the current feelings I hope it does not dampen the enthusiast of Les and the team behind the layout, they have achieved amazing things with Lime Street.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Have passed onto a couple of friends who have social media accounts and they are going to repost with a link to this thread.

Likewise - I've posted on British Railway Modelling and Model Rail Network FB groups as promised to Steve.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

DISASTER ! ................

The following message from John arrived this morning:

"This morning I have woken up to find we have been burgled, or more accurately the shed has been broken into.

Whoever has done this has forced open the up and over door.

I have spoken to the police and am not allowed into the shed until they have been. I had to go in to close the up & over door and from what I can see ALL the locos’ have been taken. The shed is in a right bloody mess ,The cheeky have used some of the stock boxes to take the stuff."

Later in the day he was allowed into the Railway and is now prepairing an inventory of all the missing items. He wrote:

"I’m allowed in the shed now, so here are a couple of shots of the carnage!

image.png.44d4f80491ffd745ba4b83b29c8e53c9.png

image.png.8fd3eebf58f5e1bb35e38ecc2c2f9b07.png

They missed three of the loco’s, only tank engines I’m afraid, and the rail motor.

Thankfully they had no interest in the coaching stock. Apart from the locos’ the laser and a portable amplifier I had have gone and for some reason the large alloy box the trams are kept in. I have pictures of all but the latest locos added to the fleet (sorry Steve) Pauline and I will now start to make as complete an inventory as we can.

Surprisingly the layout seems unharmed, they even lifted out one of the roof sections to get at the locos and carefully put it down next to the roof box.

This could not have come at a worse time having the family here. At least my grandson did get some running time!"

We would appreciate any assistance from our RMweb friends in tracking down the stolen items, which also include some 0 Gauge items out of a display cabinet and a Loco Headboard.

We can't believe they have been targetted by an EM gauge modeller, and the thieves probably don't know they are not 00. They might have some unsatisfied "customers" if they try to move them on.

We'll keep you informed of any developments when possible.

Please send any information you come across to me as a PM on RMweb.

Thank you,

Steve Hewitt.

Hi Steve,

Would you be ok with us sharing this to our Facebook page?

Kind Regards

Warren

Rails Of Sheffield

• Friendly/supportive 1

This is simply awful news. I can't imagine how you guys must be feeling. Hopefully the police and modelling community can help find the culprits, bring them to justice and recover the stolen property.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Warren Rails said:

Hi Steve,

Would you be ok with us sharing this to our Facebook page?

Kind Regards

Warren

Rails Of Sheffield

Hi Warren,

Yes, please feel free to publicise this.

Thanks, Steve.

• Like 1

A somewhat similar thing happened to me quite a few years back. Lucky for me they didn’t take any railway stuff which was all stored in boxes at the time, they were just trying to get access to the house.

However, a simple precaution is to put a couple of bolts through the bottom of the garage door into the concrete base. This can often prevent them being able to start the peeling up of the door. Maybe just something to consider for the future once you get a new door.

Sincerely hope for a good result.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Hi Warren,

Yes, please feel free to publicise this.

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Is a list going of what was taken, going to be made available?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear but this looks like its an organised theft. The thieves knew what they wanted and where it was. There can't be many EM LMS late period layouts around who could use the locos. Any track builders aware of such a layout?

Just hope the locos can be found and returned.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Sad to hear but this looks like its an organised theft. The thieves knew what they wanted and where it was. There can't be many EM LMS late period layouts around who could use the locos. Any track builders aware of such a layout?

Just hope the locos can be found and returned.

Baz

If it was that organised I'm surprised it was only locos and none of the coaching stock was taken even if they'd be bulkier to shift. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned up somewhere being described as Hornby 00 locos rather than realising they dont fit on the track properly.

I'd certainly hope it wasn't a fan of the layout or fellow modeller to just try and take what they wanted

• Like 1

This sounds to me like an opportunistic burglary - there's a limit to what you can carry away easily.so nick the engines as they're worth more than the coaches

If so, I assume it would be sold on to some "fence" and might well be offered to traders or listed on ebay, probably with incorrect description as anyone not into modelling won't appreciate the distinction between oo and EM or kit-built vs RTR.  Of the there locos pictured, that beautiful Claughton is the one most likely to raise the suspicions of a trader who might be offered them given the relatively common occurence of RTR 4mm models of the other two.

I hope you had insurance cover, though I appreciate that monetary compensation wouldn't make good the loss, and of course you have my sympathy.  The one positive thing I would take some comfort from is that the layout itelf is apparently OK.

• Agree 1

I sincerely hope that the locomotives (and trams) are speedily located and returned without damage.  I also hope that the witless thieves don't take it out on the locos when they discover that they won't run on ordinary OO track and thus can't be passed off quickly.

Best wishes.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Les Green said:

These three locos were amongst those stolen. Probably the most recognisable of the stock. The steam locos are kit built locos to EM gauge. 10000 is a ViTrains model modified to EM Gauge. We will probably post more photos later when John has finished listing all that is missing.

star 1.jpg

star 2.jpg

star 3.jpg

42 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Of the there locos pictured, that beautiful Claughton is the one most likely to raise the suspicions of a trader who might be offered them given the relatively common occurrence of RTR 4mm models of the other two.

I'm really sorry to hear of what has happened - and I hope that all is recovered undamaged and the scrotes suitably executed.

Just one thought though......

To my mind (and just in case the Scrotes responsible frequent this website) I think that pointing out what is easily recognisable, rare , unusual etc. etc. just makes life a little easier for the scrotes and their chances of off-loading the items undetected.....

"Hey Bert, better not list that ****** coloured one with the number ***** on the side cos' it says here that it's rare and easy to spot......"

By all means list what's gone, only don't add what's special, rare, unusual etc.

HTH

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm really sorry to hear about your brake in and the loss of your loco stock. I too will keep an eye out for them on  ebay as I'm a very frequent user. The biggest problem is that once the perps find out that the locos won't run on 00 track then they may well dump them. These selfish bums have no idea how much work goes into building/converting EM locos and even if they did they wouldn't care. Let's hope you get them back and the culprits are brought to justice.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, GordonC said:

If it was that organised I'm surprised it was only locos and none of the coaching stock was taken even if they'd be bulkier to shift. It wouldn't surprise me if it turned up somewhere being described as Hornby 00 locos rather than realising they dont fit on the track properly.

I'd certainly hope it wasn't a fan of the layout or fellow modeller to just try and take what they wanted

Coaches and wagons are easy to convert to EM. Locos are a lot more work. Which is why I worry this was done to order.

Baz

• Agree 6

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Which is why I worry this was done to order.

Particularly when there were some EM loco thefts from exhibition layouts in the NW some years ago, certainly one of which involved LMS locos.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2022 at 20:02, Steve Hewitt said:

DISASTER ! ................

The following message from John arrived this morning:

"This morning I have woken up to find we have been burgled, or more accurately the shed has been broken into.

Whoever has done this has forced open the up and over door.

I have spoken to the police and am not allowed into the shed until they have been. I had to go in to close the up & over door and from what I can see ALL the locos’ have been taken. The shed is in a right bloody mess ,The cheeky have used some of the stock boxes to take the stuff."

Later in the day he was allowed into the Railway and is now prepairing an inventory of all the missing items. He wrote:

"I’m allowed in the shed now, so here are a couple of shots of the carnage!

image.png.44d4f80491ffd745ba4b83b29c8e53c9.png

image.png.8fd3eebf58f5e1bb35e38ecc2c2f9b07.png

They missed three of the loco’s, only tank engines I’m afraid, and the rail motor.

Thankfully they had no interest in the coaching stock. Apart from the locos’ the laser and a portable amplifier I had have gone and for some reason the large alloy box the trams are kept in. I have pictures of all but the latest locos added to the fleet (sorry Steve) Pauline and I will now start to make as complete an inventory as we can.

Surprisingly the layout seems unharmed, they even lifted out one of the roof sections to get at the locos and carefully put it down next to the roof box.

This could not have come at a worse time having the family here. At least my grandson did get some running time!"

We would appreciate any assistance from our RMweb friends in tracking down the stolen items, which also include some 0 Gauge items out of a display cabinet and a Loco Headboard.

We can't believe they have been targetted by an EM gauge modeller, and the thieves probably don't know they are not 00. They might have some unsatisfied "customers" if they try to move them on.

We'll keep you informed of any developments when possible.

Please send any information you come across to me as a PM on RMweb.

Thank you,

Steve Hewitt.

Sorry for delay but link to the above now also shared on the YMRS & SLS social media feeds.

• Like 1