Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi 0O00,

no we wont be producing sound fitted versions as we are not big enough a company to manage that project.

however i am putting the WLA together with Ian (Leggomanbiffo) from this parish to record probably the ultimate sound of a Wezzie for you to purchase from Ian.

cheers

Dave

The WLA Sales Department should still have a stock of my 'Maybach Music' CD which features D1013 and D1062 on the SVR with lineside, on

the train, front cab, rear cab and engine room sounds.  I also still have a small stock.

Incidentally I have just set up an old Dell 5.1 computer speaker system in my loft and connected a mini disc player to it (you can connect anything with a 3.5mm jack including smart phones) and the sound is fantastic.  

In my opinion onboard DCC sound is very lacking and will never match this for dynamic range - not for a long while anyway. 

Edited by D1056WesternSultan
  • Like 1

Might that be a bit like the NEM standards that are anything but?  :)

Cheers,

D.

Hi Dudley,

I haven't read anyones review and have no 'axe to grind' in anyones favour. It has to be in everyones interest to be anticipating models which are ever closer to the prototype and given the technological advances in scanning/measuring equipment then why shouldn't we expect that? Similarly, it shouldn't be unreasonable for the hobby to have a standard way of recognising such excellence... although the tone of your post suggests that there is some way to travel on that journey too. 

Cheers

Dave

I plan on attaching the lifting rings by first cutting them off (obviously) then threading them onto a length of thin wire. Each time I want to install one, a small dab of glue in the hole on the bodyshell, then feed off a ring off the wire. In theory, anyway.

RWJ

• RMweb Gold

A few more comparison / detail shots 'while we wait for the shops to open...' ;)

attachicon.gif###AA Dapol D1000 post-1-0-72575600-1359572578_thumba.jpg

attachicon.gif#AA D1015 PENZANCE #149.jpg

attachicon.gif#AA Dapol THOUSAND rooffan grilles b&w.jpg

attachicon.gif#AA D1015 PENZANCE #369.jpg

And those lovely little lifting rings...

attachicon.gif1015 #371.jpg

Fab, isn't it?

Which one is the model Nidge ? ;)

• Like 2

A few more comparison / detail shots 'while we wait for the shops to open...' ;)

attachicon.gif###AA Dapol D1000 post-1-0-72575600-1359572578_thumba.jpg

attachicon.gif#AA D1015 PENZANCE #149.jpg

attachicon.gif#AA Dapol THOUSAND rooffan grilles b&w.jpg

attachicon.gif#AA D1015 PENZANCE #369.jpg

And those lovely little lifting rings...

attachicon.gif1015 #371.jpg

Fab, isn't it?

Looks even better in black & white.

On the subject of comparisons, it is true, isn't it, that the maroon plus small yellow panel model (my all-time favourite Western livery)I've pre-ordered from Hattons will be the same as the STEAM model in all respects except livery?? Just wondering as it's a round £56 cheaper!

I plan on attaching the lifting rings by first cutting them off (obviously) then threading them onto a length of thin wire. Each time I want to install one, a small dab of glue in the hole on the bodyshell, then feed off a ring off the wire. In theory, anyway.

RWJ

What a damned good idea.

On the subject of comparisons, it is true, isn't it, that the maroon plus small yellow panel model (my all-time favourite Western livery)I've pre-ordered from Hattons will be the same as the STEAM model in all respects except livery?? Just wondering as it's a round £56 cheaper!

Production run of 400 only (ever!), lift rings, nameplates, livery air pipes etc all factory fitted. 3 signature certificate of limited edition. A box to die for, apparently a limited run badge in the box.

Apart from all those, then it's the same model ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 11

Production run of 400 only (ever!), lift rings, nameplates, livery air pipes etc all factory fitted. 3 signature certificate of limited edition. A box to die for, apparently a limited run badge in the box.

Apart from all those, then it's the same model ;-)

Cheers

Dave

But the window pillar is .000002 mm to wide, the head code box is .0000013 mm to short, the colour Pantone is .0000045678 shade incorrect and there is no driver smoking a woodbine in the cab, otherwise it is a pretty good model!

• Like 1

But the window pillar is .000002 mm to wide, the head code box is .0000013 mm to short, the colour Pantone is .0000045678 shade incorrect and there is no driver smoking a woodbine in the cab, otherwise it is a pretty good model!

The new Roco DB Class 218 costs €229 with sound, €159 without, and it has proper close-coupling and a pre-fitted driver - unless it's a railway enthusiast on a cab ride....

Edited by Dogmatix

• RMweb Gold

Right.

Well put it this way if it wasn't attention to detail by a lot of contributors on RmWeb do you think that you would have got this quality model?

I think DapolDave would be the first to agree this. If you're not interested in detail fine - go buy a Lima model they are a lot cheaper, but compromised on detail. Moan about perfection if you like, but look what it achieves.

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You lot should stop beating DapolDave up.I think he has done a grand job on the western as it is of such a high standard that has been achieved. As all the work that has been put into doing the tool and research must have cost a fortune.

If you keep beating DD up he might not do another out standing model.

The Western I would like to see is D1000 in desert sand a small yellow warning panel.

And DapolDave I doff my hat to you and the great work to achieve a outstanding model

Terry

I really, really hope D1000 doesn't come fitted with any air pipes - I don't think it was air-braked at any stage in its life, and certainly wouldn't have been in 1962 Desert Sand livery. The only pipes at both ends should be the steam heat hose and the vacuum hose. See http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birmingham-snowhill/brlocomotives/gwrbsh1321.jpg

I'm particularly glad though that it'll come pre-fitted with the lifting rings. It'll save my eyesight.

As for fitting the rings, I'd imagine that the sanest way to remove them from the etch is to first thread the fine wire through the holes down one side of the etch, place that side of the etch on a small length of blu-tak, and bring it to the attention of the Dremel drill (cutting disc attachment). Lift off the etch, and you should be left with the separated rings sitting on the blu-tak. Lift the wire, and they should peel away.

That's the theory. When my wallet recovers, I'll get a BFYE Western. Maroon, Golden Ochre, and green have never appealed to me, but I've always considered any Western in Desert Sand to be absolutely knockout.

• RMweb Gold

Me too Robin. Charged to my card and I've already had to pay the bill.

I personally have a little more lattitude for the museum with this sort of thing than I would for a regular shop, but ...

Same here - it appears that a number of people who ordered before the message from Andy had worked through the system finished up paying in advance.

Now there's an idea! Over to you, Dapol Dave ...

:D   :D

Re diesel engines in model locos, ask Bob Symes. He stuck a 2-stroke diesel in his model 47. There was a series of articles in Model Engineer quite recently about someone else's efforts to do the same. Quite remarkable. Naturally, we're talking about the large scales here, and not 4mm:1ft.

• Like 1

You lot should stop beating DapolDave up.I think he has done a grand job on the western as it is of such a high standard that has been achieved. As all the work that has been put into doing the tool and research must have cost a fortune.

If you keep beating DD up he might not do another out standing model.

The Western I would like to see is D1000 in desert sand a small yellow warning panel.

And DapolDave I doff my hat to you and the great work to achieve a outstanding model

Terry

Indeed, my sentiments as well. Hopefully this sort of crowd-sourced CAD development could become more commonplace. Hopefully the CADs for the 50 can be scaled up to produce a 4mm version as well as the N-scale one?... Here's hoping! (My poor, poor wallet.)

RWJ

• RMweb Gold

Re the brake rigging.

DD is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. It's not loose per se, it's loose for a reason exactly as explained, would it have been better leaving it unfitted in the detail pack?

I know who's brakes and brake rigging I'd rather work with when detailing/converting locos, and it's not the ones ones from B******* or H***** with half the worlds supply of superglue smeared everywhere.

Ignore em Dave and carry on the good work.

Mike.

PS. Can't wait for the Warship,

• RMweb Premium

Fab, isn't it?

I've suddenly decided not to buy a Dapol Western. It hasn't got rippled panels......... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

Yay! More small parts for me to lose in the carpet when fitting them :jester: Seriously though, it's a cracking looking model and I think I will be adding one to go with my 22.

Just one question to Dave, if I remember rightly you said the Maroon ones were coming later due to some issue. Is this the March that Hattons are advertising or is it unclear yet?