Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

• RMweb Premium

Beckingham Level Crossing is where I would hang around for the Gainsboro diversions. One can use the old Yard hut as a bog in an emergency. There is a nice little shop in the village for refreshments.

Alternatively there is a good view from the Cafe in the Garden Centre just the Reford side of Beckingham roundabout but they might find it odd if I sat in there all day!!

P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

Most freight is diverted over Brigg now, with the odd one to run round at Barnetby (thanks to Mark on Freightmaster, more details over there if you are a member) - so the freight side is being looked at.

• Like 2

Re the diversions only Northern Drivers and Conductors based at Hull sign the road from Hull to Docnaster Via Selby and one link of Sheffeild Depot sign Sheffield to Cleethorpes Via Gainsborough and Brigg. I am not suer if 185 are passes via Brigg or not and I don't think it would be worth learning Cleethropes or Sheffield Men the route that way even if TPE at Sheffield has just taken two ex freight men who both sign via Brigg and Worksop.

You never know tho they might spend the money and do some route leaning as there is talk of this carrying on for 3 months

Anyone who knows this route will know that it's VERY low lying. It runs across moorland (Crowle moors), and is almost entirel;y flat until the feared Gunhouse bank up to Scunthorpe.

Indeed, parts of it run BELOW and parallel to the local canal.

Rebuilding this, IF they can get it to stabilise, will be a long term job.

Could we see the end of Scunthorpe-Doncaster rail services?

The Mayor of Stainforth was on BBC Look North at lunchtime claiming they have been asking for this colliery tip to be moved for years but 'nobody listens because it is only Stainforth'  told the reporter 'Why should we have to look at a coal tip?'

In between her waffle it appears that the land is still moving and NR say it will have settle for a while before they start repair, to put this into context a very small landslip near me on the edge of a country lane at Christmas has lead to the lane being closed until July at least so the '8 weeks' mentioned looks a tad optimistic. 

Well if they are waiting for it to stabilise on its own they will be waiting years as the nature of these sort of rotational slip failures is that they continue to creep for a long time.

You have three choices: off load the top, load the toe or lower the water table within the slope; or a combination of all three.

The best is to get the pore pressures down but that's difficult now it's moving as the drains break.

If it was me I would start piling rock on the toe, get it stabilised and then get some effective drains into the slope.

Guest 838rapid

Having worked past there for 9 years on TPE,it seems like this was almost waiting to happen.

The Coal waste was stacked up in places like there was no tommorrow.

They have just shown an interview with the local mayor on ITV news... Seems she is meeting Ed Milliband to discuss the tip tomorrow.

The track is looking very much like its fit for scrap,and so seems the trackbed.

Yet the Colliery were shown still tipping waste on the bankside.

The tipping truck seemed to be slipping trying to pull away after tipping so there is more movement to come.

Seems almost a shame that N/R spent all that money the other year on the Concrete pad next to the canal to cure the banks washing away there.

Still on the brightside it will make a lovely footpath in years to come.... 

The Mayor of Stainforth was on BBC Look North at lunchtime claiming they have been asking for this colliery tip to be moved for years but 'nobody listens because it is only Stainforth'  told the reporter 'Why should we have to look at a coal tip?'

In between her waffle it appears that the land is still moving and NR say it will have settle for a while before they start repair, to put this into context a very small landslip near me on the edge of a country lane at Christmas has lead to the lane being closed until July at least so the '8 weeks' mentioned looks a tad optimistic. 

The interview on the BBC website suggests that she was talking about other, older, tips closer to Stainforth. The tip that has slumped has apparently been used until fairly recently- indeed, it may still be in use if the pit hasn't shut yet. Stabilising the site, and then making the railway good, will take time, but I wouldn't think it's insurmountable- I must ask brother-in-law, as his last jobs before retiring involved issues of stability of cuttings and embankments on the WR.

The time quoted for repairing a small landslip on a country lane is probably down to a question of priorities; the wet weather over the last year has led to lots of similar situations, far more than can be dealt with quickly.

The interview on the BBC website suggests that she was talking about other, older, tips closer to Stainforth.

The time quoted for repairing a small landslip on a country lane is probably down to a question of priorities; the wet weather over the last year has led to lots of similar situations, far more than can be dealt with quickly.

The BBC website report comes across very differently to the one on TV at lunchtime where her comments were more generalised criticism than anything specifically rail related. 

Regarding the country lane the road has been slipping there for forty years the charge hand told me since he started on the roads in 1970 it has consumed 1000 tonnes of tarmac and this time NYCC are going to deal with it once and for all with piles etc 

Speaking to a retired engineer earlier today he said this is the sort of challenge that can make your career if you get it right.

I do think though we all have to be very grateful that the authorities are not dealing with the consequences of a major disaster. 

• Like 3

Guest 838rapid

Well I did wonder that too....

Just checked on Wiki and found ..

Stainforth Is part of his constituency of Doncaster North .

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 1

Is it part of his constituency Doncaster North ??

Hatfield is part of Don Valley constituency represented by Caroline Flint. 

Edit: I was typing this at the same time as 838rapid was posting above so sorry for any confusion

Edited by QuoitsPlayer

• RMweb Premium

surely from the Doncaster end they could run a passenger service up to Hatfield and Stainforth and run a rail replacement from there, there are ground signals and a crossover to allow trains to cross over from the down to up line, that way the replacement buses would not be fighting/struggling to get into and out of Doncaster town centre?

I was on the rail replacement bus today, according to the drivers Hatfield station is not a particularly good spot to get in and out of with a coach, which may influence that thinking,  Plus a section of the local population round the station tend to be "unwelcoming"  to visitors.

Having said that this morning as I was walking to Kirk Sandall a 158 headed towards Doncaster so there may have been thoughts towards what Jim has suggested.

Regards

Simon

• Like 1