Landslip at Hatfield & Stainforth

Hatfield is part of Don Valley constituency represented by Caroline Flint. 

Stainforth is Doncaster North which is Ed, such is the madness of political boundaries !!

Simon

I'm not a 'mine' of information it 'seams' :D

Wonder where the boundary is? It might slip over the border :no:

Matt

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Hatfield is part of Don Valley constituency represented by Caroline Flint.

Confusingly, Hatfield colliery is in Stainforth rather than Hatfield. It seems to have been a speciality of the area (Thorne colliery was at Moorends).

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

one lasting memory of working into hatfield

Plus a section of the local population round the station tend to be "unwelcoming"  to visitors.

one "enduring" memory of working out of hatfield colliery was sleeping on the loco one day, pouring with rain, i was woken by the sound of something being dragged towards me, i open my eyes to see a guy pulling a wheely bin along from the platform end of the sidings, as he got closer i got down to see what he was up to, now to say he was a neandathal would have been an understatment, i think the missing link was live and well and living in stainforth, no disrespect to the guy but lets just say his forehead certainly stopped him getting rain in his eyes, that look coupled with dirty oil skin jacket and rain lashing him certainly made for a look of the local serial killer.

turned out he was picking up scrap metal from the colliery site and more worryingly the tracks, and anything i said wasn't going to stop him so i called donny box who called out the BTP, the scary guy simply carried on picking up scrap from between the loading line and goods right up to the foot crossing that is just south of the landslip before wheeling his bin over all 4 tracks but not before dropping most of the scrap between the mainlines and stopping to pick it up, he was eventually picked up by BTP heading back towards the town, frightning!!

• Like 4

public access to the station is from neither Stainforth or Hatfield, its actually in Dunscroft, Hatfield being a mile down the road and Stainforth being over the bridge at the other side of the railway

Edited by scorpion

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151463577681212&set=a.10150298673456212.381979.672941211&type=1&theater

A link to James Wells' photo on facebook, hopefully visible to members here and if not maybe James could add it here please?

Alternatively http://twitter.yfrog.com/z/nv87ycmj is a larger version of the same pic

I don't think anything I'll post on FB will ever receive quite so many likes as this picture did! The photo's on my phone as it was sent to me, know idea the original source but was definately worth sharing.

On the northbank services have been rejigged - Scarborough/Bridlington to Doncaster/Sheffield (1Wxx and 1Jxx) have been running via Selby and Hull - Doncaster stoppers (2Cxx) are running as Hull - Goole shuttles. Freights are mostly going via Selby except those which can use the single line beyond Goole to Hensall. We seem to have quite a few empty stocks about to make sure units are in the right place. I've lost track of how many class fives have been passed this afternoon and evening!

It's certainly interesting here at the moment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the Mines and Quarries (Tips) Act 1969 supposed to prevent mining companies from allowing their waste tips to become dangerous.

On Friday 21st October 1966, the start of my half term holiday,  I saw images of a tip slide on my television. 116 children from Pantglas Junior School never went home that day to start their half term holiday.

I think we need a reminder that this latest tip slide has only damaged a railway and inconvenienced some travellers who are now having to take an alternative route.

Yours

Clive

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The Mines and Quarries (Tips) Act 1969 was passed following the Aberfan disaster and if it had been acted on then there would be no problems faced by operators or passengers following the present tip slide. Richard Budge and his company Powerfuel are very lucky no one has been injured or killed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Mines and Quarries (Tips) Act 1969 was passed following the Aberfan disaster and if it had been acted on then there would be no problems faced by operators or passengers following the present tip slide. Richard Budge and his company Powerfuel are very lucky no one has been injured or killed.

One slightly worrying aspect for the local residents is if the other side of the tip goes AWOL, that's across the road from houses.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the latest aerial photo the top of the spoil heap has huge pools of water. I've seen anything to suggest the heap was profiled with drainage in mind.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDFnKBoCMAE3N0a.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It is the modern way of doing things. Cheapest and quickest and don't worry about the future too much if it reduces the profits now. Land drainage generally is badly neglected and many ditches and dykes have been left to get choked and blocked as there is no profit in spending money clearing them.

It may even have something to do with the ever more frequent floods we seem to be having.

Looking after roads seem to be going the same way.

The Dutch drainage engineers who made large parts of this area of the country into useable farmland many years ago understood that such work had a long term benefit and we seem to have forgotten that in the chase for the quick financial return. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

On Friday 21st October 1966, the start of my half term holiday,  I saw images of a tip slide on my television. 116 children from Pantglas Junior School never went home that day to start their half term holiday.

I think we need a reminder that this latest tip slide has only damaged a railway and inconvenienced some travellers who are now having to take an alternative route.

I think posts 14 & 20 on Page 1 did make reference to the relativity with that awful event.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It is the modern way of doing things. Cheapest and quickest and don't worry about the future too much if it reduces the profits now. Land drainage generally is badly neglected and many ditches and dykes have been left to get choked and blocked as there is no profit in spending money clearing them.

It may even have something to do with the ever more frequent floods we seem to be having.

Looking after roads seem to be going the same way.

The Dutch drainage engineers who made large parts of this area of the country into useable farmland many years ago understood that such work had a long term benefit and we seem to have forgotten that in the chase for the quick financial return. 

I think we could share a rant for a while there t-b-g. I spend a fair bit of time lineside and the state of not only the railway's drainage but that of the surrounding land is awful.

I was sharing another rant with someone yesterday regarding a road closure under a railway bridge due to flooding. Apparently his elderly neighbour used to keep the drains clear. Now he has departed no one does it. The water had rushed down the surrounding fields, overwhelmed the poorly maintained ditch, burst out onto the road carrying the sediment with it and dumping the whole lot under the bridge.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is the 1969 act mentioned above still in force? or was it 'done away' with when the coal industry was privatised? Many such regulations were done away with or watered down in the rush to privatise, another case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

So far as I can see, this has been a very slow slip, so it would have had to have been badly mismanaged to have been a danger, and from what I can see it was not badly managed. (At least, from the railway side)

Based on the press reports, NR apparently had a report from a driver on Sunday of rough riding, which suggests the movement (underground) had already started back then, sent their engineers to check it out, and from the images earlier in the week you can see they put a 10mph TSR in to protect trains from the (slightly) moved track *and* had folk out there monitoring for further movement to protect the line.

By Tuesday it was clear the whole slope was moving, and had moved enough to warrant closing the lot - the line was shut well before it looked like it did in the most recent pics (shot on Weds/Thur)

So in this instance, so far as I can see there was no risk to trains or passengers.

I'm sure the colliery's insurance company are sweating a bit about causing a multi-month closure of a very busy railway line though!

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 9

Regarding the contingency planning, there's a path in the timetable today for a class 5 DMU working Sheffield-Gainsborough-Wrawby Jn (Barnetby)-Gainsborough-Wrawby-Gainsborough-Sheffield.

It doesn't look like it's actually running, but might the shuttle over the Brigg section indicate emergency route learning?

Doesn't look like a stock transfer, as it ends up where it started.

• Like 2

Looks like some kind of route learning schedule to me, but I can't tell if it's Northern or TPX

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O60601/2013/02/15/advanced

Logically TPX will have to have a few crews trained on at least one diversionary route, as any units working the wrong side of the gap will need to cycle back to base for maintainence at some point...

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the contingency planning, there's a path in the timetable today for a class 5 DMU working Sheffield-Gainsborough-Wrawby Jn (Barnetby)-Gainsborough-Wrawby-Gainsborough-Sheffield.

It doesn't look like it's actually running, but might the shuttle over the Brigg section indicate emergency route learning?

Doesn't look like a stock transfer, as it ends up where it started.

I doubt they'll get much route learning done with that - possibly a timing trial as much as anything else?

Edited by The Stationmaster

Guest 838rapid

I have just spoken to a Old work mate who is a Driver,and they have been informed that "their are to many Freights and its to slow to make it viable "

Sheffield Northern work the trains normally over the Brigg route,on saturdays only to and from Clee.

Doncaster Northern also have crews that sign via Scunthorpe to facilitate the ECS unit change overs for the Barton service..

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 1