Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

c6979 looks like the 47 is off to repair. Judging by the marks on the body side I`d say its had a bogie fire due to dragging brake blocks.

Agreed - 47's were particularly prone to this due to a propensity to build-up greasy deposits atop the bogies ...........

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML photo's at Essendine, which are full of interest. In J6653, with 47525 on a down service in October, 1979, there is a MK2 air con brake first marshalled behind the MK1 BG. I'm guessing it would be a move to get it to Doncaster for attention. I could be wrong.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grantham to Nottingham photo’s at Radcliffe on Trent. I particularly like J6560, of 31410 on an up passenger train in July, 1979. It’s a great composition, which captures so well the way the train runs over the bridge whilst a woman walks her dog.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

attachicon.gifHaverigg Road crossing Class 108 Sellafield to Barow and Preston Aug 79 J6589.jpg

Haverigg Road crossing  just north of Millom  Class 108 Sellafield to Barow and Preston Aug 79 J6589

Methinks that might be this crossing on what's shown on the map as "Main St.":

https://goo.gl/maps/8JdQuKaz6bw

Haverigg Road itself goes over the railway line on a bridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/nEwkJqYXHCN2

Both are geographically west of Millom, albeit off the north-bound coast road.

I took the trouble to look this up because in August 1979 I was 6 years old and living on that side of Millom, and have vague memories of cycling to the beach at Haverigg that summer or the next summer (we moved away in late 1980), and the existence of a level crossing failed to ring any bells, and I'm sure I would have remembered.

• RMweb Gold

Methinks that might be this crossing on what's shown on the map as "Main St.":

https://goo.gl/maps/8JdQuKaz6bw

Haverigg Road itself goes over the railway line on a bridge:

https://goo.gl/maps/nEwkJqYXHCN2

Both are geographically west of Millom, albeit off the north-bound coast road.

I took the trouble to look this up because in August 1979 I was 6 years old and living on that side of Millom, and have vague memories of cycling to the beach at Haverigg that summer or the next summer (we moved away in late 1980), and the existence of a level crossing failed to ring any bells, and I'm sure I would have remembered.

Thanks very much.

It's one of Dad's photos and I had wondered exactly which road it was.

However, the level crossing, according to the Sectional Appendix, is Haverigg crossing, which is what confused me.  I have removed "road" from the caption to clarify it.

David

Edited by DaveF

From Thursday on the ECML:

1H02 was the 12:20 KX-Hull. The Mk1 formation suggests it was the Saturday train

1N10 was the 11:00 KX-Newcastle

J5057 from the formation was probably the 11;00 KX-Edinburgh or 12:00 KX-Aberdeen

J6653 from the formation was 13:04 KX-Cleethorpes

• RMweb Gold

From Thursday on the ECML:

1H02 was the 12:20 KX-Hull. The Mk1 formation suggests it was the Saturday train

1N10 was the 11:00 KX-Newcastle

J5057 from the formation was probably the 11;00 KX-Edinburgh or 12:00 KX-Aberdeen

J6653 from the formation was 13:04 KX-Cleethorpes

Mark,

Once again many thanks.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the York photo’s. So nostalgic, and how different from when I went there on the train, last Monday with the new class 800’s on test, etc., The class 105 Cravens DMU in C7666, composed of cars, 53381 and 54439, on the 28th July, 1986, looks amazingly clean, albeit with a couple of dents in the corner of the cab of the DMBS. The HST in C4387, 254006, on a down service, on Saturday, 7th April, 1979, looks so good in that original livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. The all blue units were the ones that were not refurbished and not expected to last very long - class 104 was another example. So they never got repainted into either the white with a blue waistband scheme or blue and grey. Ok, there were a couple of exceptions. The class 104’s and class 105’s in Scotland that got repainted into blue and grey to match up with refurbished class 107’s or class 108’s. The English units stayed in blue.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

, or the Flying Spotsman too!

Mike.

I think it was publicity for a dominoes event.  Believe it or not there is a World Championship event for dominoes each year.

David

• Like 1

I think it was publicity for a dominoes event.  Believe it or not there is a World Championship event for dominoes each year.

David

Indeed. I have a similar photograph of 43084 on the blocks at King's Cross, taken the following year on 20th September. The design of the "headboard" had been changed, using a mid-blue background, rather than yellow.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the NYMR photo’s, which are so interesting and even a bit nostalgic for the early days of the line. I really like the NER P3 in the first one, which became classed as J27 in LNER and BR days. It’s a favourite engine of mine, along with the Q6.

With warmest regards,

Rob.