Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ask Dave

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

I am interested in knowing if you may have ever looked into the Industrial garratt locomotives at all? http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/11/william_francis.htm

And at all If you may ever look into and foreign locomotives at all. Example, Any South African Railways locomotives.

Alex

Now if we're talking foreign steam locomotives the Polish PKP ol49 2-6-2 should be high on a European wish list, whilst it's only used in Poland (with other examples preserved in Belgium and Denmark), it's probably the most internationally recognised class in the world by nature of over being driven by nationals of 60+ countries, including many in the U.K. And Germany, indeed it's really in a unique position being the only European mainline steam class of fitting all eras from 1949 to 2017 and still in passenger service.

However being HO and not British I suspect this is more likely a candidate for Piko, whom have entered the world of the super detail at prices below those of the Uk (you can safely forget those dodgy 1980's East German models) and have done several PKP outlines in recent years (Sm42, EU06/7, EP07, SU45, ET41, chme3 and just announced the ET22 for 2017).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Now if we're talking foreign steam locomotives the Polish PKP ol49 2-6-2 should be high on a European wish list, whilst it's only used in Poland (with other examples preserved in Belgium and Denmark), it's probably the most internationally recognised class in the world by nature of over being driven by nationals of 60+ countries, including many in the U.K. And Germany, indeed it's really in a unique position being the only European mainline steam class of fitting all eras from 1949 to 2017 and still in passenger service.

However being HO and not British I suspect this is more likely a candidate for Piko, whom have entered the world of the super detail at prices below those of the Uk (you can safely forget those dodgy 1980's East German models) and have done several PKP outlines in recent years (Sm42, EU06/7, EP07, SU45, ET41, chme3 and just announced the ET22 for 2017).

Certainly looks very distinctive, especially with the smoke deflectors on top of the smoke box. Would make an impressive model. Where is the one preserved in Denmark?

Certainly looks very distinctive, especially with the smoke deflectors on top of the smoke box. Would make an impressive model. Where is the one preserved in Denmark?

Hi adb968008, found the ol49, it's at a school in Langa. Must be non-operational!

Now if Dave would do a DSB litra F 0-6-0 since he's very good at small tank engines.....

• RMweb Gold

And Lo! Dave was on his travels, and a mighty voice from the heavens spoke to him....

"Dave, have you done this?"

"Dave, have you done that?"

"Dave, when are you going to do this?"

"Dave, when are you going to do that?"

With an almighty start, Dave awoke. It had all been a dream....

He'd dozed off in front of his computer, with the RMWeb pages on.......

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi adb968008, found the ol49, it's at a school in Langa. Must be non-operational!

Now if Dave would do a DSB litra F 0-6-0 since he's very good at small tank engines.....

Ol49-77 is in Denmark.

Ol49-69 would be an interesting one to model, I saw it 3 times in one day once, .. in Leszno awaiting repairs painted black, it then hauled the service train to Wolsztyn from Poznan a few hours later painted green, and later that night I saw it minus smoke box and tender rusting away as if had been there years outside the works at Gnieszno.... and you thought GWR hall class 4965/4983 had an Identity crisis.

AIUI ol49-69 ran till circa2003, before being sent for overhaul in Gnieszno that never happened, then it swapped bits with ol49-32 possibly including cab and boiler, which was later scrapped, meanwhile then ol49-99 was overhauled and aliased as '69, whilst ol49-69 (w bits ex 32) was moved and overhauled at Leszno.

When at Wolsztyn shed I saw engine record cards (and a filing shelf) for ol49-69, but none for '99.

Edited by adb968008

Hi Dave,

I have pre-ordered 2 of your Class 92 locos in 00 and wondering whether there is any consideration to doing the 90's and 86's? Yes Bachmann are doing the 90's nut only in Freightliner and intercity livery but not the 10+ other liveries they run in like EWS, DB and DRS. 

Also how about doing 45' containers? Dapols variants are limited as are bachmanns. The most common ones seen are not modeled such as "Unit45", "Russel", "2x45" and others not to mention it would be nice to have Hi-cube Tesco containers with more numbers and similar.  

Regards

Rand

Edited by cooley_boy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I have pre-ordered 2 of your Class 92 locos in 00 and wondering whether there is any consideration to doing the 90's and 86's? Yes Bachmann are doing the 90's nut only in Freightliner and intercity livery but not the 10+ other liveries they run in like EWS, DB and DRS.

Regards

Rand

I would wait to see if Oxford announce an 86 (today?) and given Bachmann have announced a 90, I would think it highly unlikely that DJ would consider them.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Something that cropped up in conversation-

What are the chances of giving N gauge a new up to date model of the King? 

I assume you now have the laser scan and maybe cad/cams for it in OO.

Just a thought - as an NER modeller myself I wouldn't be up for one, but I know a few just in our club who might.

Les

• Like 1

Just seen the "O2" spares sheets on the DJM website. Does this mean that spares are now available and, if so, how can they be ordered? Is there a spares price list?

What impact will the Hattons announcement have in terms of producing the King this year Dave?

If the model makes it into production, will Hattons be offering it with a free hot potato?

Just seen the "O2" spares sheets on the DJM website. Does this mean that spares are now available and, if so, how can they be ordered? Is there a spares price list?

If the model makes it into production, will Hattons be offering it with a free hot potato?

Hi,

No the spares sheet has been there a year now, but no spares yet.

They are ordered, but it's not a simple case of slapping the tool on in their free time and just squirting plastic unfortunately.

I am hoping for some reasonable news on that from]not from China soon, but certainly nothing as yet.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave I may have missed any formal announcement if so excuse me, but is the oo King still a viable model or have you stopped the production programme?

Terry

Hi Terry,

The King project was always a Hattons project and as such the production program was theirs alone.

Since the decision was made to pull away from the further development of the Model, all materials germaine to the project are now under my wing. However, with the market flooded a couple of months back with alternate King models at silly trade prices (£50 for a TTS fitted one for example) and knowing that there are even more on the way for this year that will further saturate the market, I decided to simply put the OO King model 'on hold' for the time being.

This has the advantage of letting me see how the market goes, and also continue building the business and raising cash to produce the ,what I consider, ultimate OO gauge King, one day. When that day comes is a different matter altogether but I think your all safe for a couple of years at least.

So, looking at crowdfunding as a possibility for an N gauge one as the designs are pretty much done, is now foremost in my mind. Firstly it would be silly not to use the cad/cams for a much wanted N gauge one, and secondly I think with the gorgeous new Farish Castle soon to be upon us, a King would fit right in quite nicely.

I hope this long winded explanation covers things for you, but if not, please feel free to ask more, after all it's what this thread is all about. Lol :-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave.  I've ordered a couple of OO gauge class 92s and was wondering how good the pantographs are going to be?  Are the going to be metal or plastic?  Are they going to be able to run along catenary if required (not collecting current)?  Is the head going to remain horizontal at all times?  Are they going to be sprung? Are they going to be realistic, with the arms looking like the real thing, i.e. one tubular and one squarer?

If so, would you consider getting an over supply so that modellers like myself could add a decent pantograph to other existing models?

A lot of questions, but am looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Edited by Dixie Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Sorry if this has been asked before as this thread is massive and it would take me 2 long to read throw it all so my question is have you any intention to produce a GWR auto coach to run with the hattons 14xx I know the 14xx is a hattons exclusive but was just woundering if there was a chance of you doing a coach as a standalone

Thanks

Alan

Dear Dave

The 48xx model for Hatton's has the first ever, ready to fit, correct GWR loco coupling which can be linked across to the hook on the buffer.  Please can you or Hatton's please produce these as a stand alone product, you will make a fortune, I have been waiting 15 years for them to appear and will buy 50 straight off!

Best regards

Julian

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all

I've just hard wired a sound chip in to a D J Models 14XX

As suggested elsware on fitting the speaker in the bunker the cab doors fell out.

Does anyone know the best way of refitting them ?

Eltel

Dear Dave

The 48xx model for Hatton's has the first ever, ready to fit, correct GWR loco coupling which can be linked across to the hook on the buffer.  Please can you or Hatton's please produce these as a stand alone product, you will make a fortune, I have been waiting 15 years for them to appear and will buy 50 straight off!

Best regards

Julian

Hi Julian,

Not something for me to do i'm afraid, please mail Hattons directly and i'm sure they will consider it.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry if this has been asked before as this thread is massive and it would take me 2 long to read throw it all so my question is have you any intention to produce a GWR auto coach to run with the hattons 14xx I know the 14xx is a hattons exclusive but was just woundering if there was a chance of you doing a coach as a standalone

Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the mail.

Not for me to do i'm sorry to say.

Funds, time and a backlog of models have to come first.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.  I've ordered a couple of OO gauge class 92s and was wondering how good the pantographs are going to be?  Are the going to be metal or plastic?  Are they going to be able to run along catenary if required (not collecting current)?  Is the head going to remain horizontal at all times?  Are they going to be sprung? Are they going to be realistic, with the arms looking like the real thing, i.e. one tubular and one squarer?

If so, would you consider getting an over supply so that modellers like myself could add a decent pantograph to other existing models?

A lot of questions, but am looking forward to your reply.

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Hi D.D.,

Yes the pantograph will be made available as a spare.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

When the Q6 project was cancelled, you mentioned OO and N gauge HUO hoppers will be on the product list.

http://djmodels.co.uk/?p=470

Any updates? I'd be very interested in these.

Neil

Hi Neil,

They are, and no updates i'm afraid.......yet.

cheers

Dave