OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Dave, the other day you said you would update the progress chart on your website, but it still says June 16 as the last one. 

I fully understand the Class 71 delivery is your priority right now.

Could you please have a stab at it, when the current tasks are over? It would probably stop me hassling you over Class 74 progress at least.....

Many thanks

Mike

Well we were initial told by Hornby that they wouldn't be producing a 71 (not a cat in hell). 

DJM announced a 71 and then Hornby said that they were doing one after all. 

Kernow said that the DJM one would be out long before Hornby but that turned not to be the case. 

As I had already paid for the DJM, I stuck with it, even though Hornby were doing the running number that I wanted. My DJM will need to be renumbered. 

The Hornby one comes with or without (I want without) rain strips but as yet we don't know if DJM will come without rain strips on certain versions. 

Now Hornby's 71's are being knocked out for £99 at Rails, it does try my patience and loyalty a tad. 

If DJM weren't also doing the 74, it would really be a pointless exercise having a choice of two 71's with very little to choose between. 

• Like 1

Well we were initial told by Hornby that they wouldn't be producing a 71 (not a cat in hell). 

Kernow said that the DJM one would be out long before Hornby but that turned not to be the case. 

As I had already paid for the DJM, I stuck with it, even though Hornby were doing the running number that I wanted. My DJM will need to be renumbered. 

The Hornby one comes with or without (I want without) rain strips but as yet we don't know if DJM will come without rain strips on certain versions. 

Now Hornby's 71's are being knocked out for £99 at Rails, it does try my patience and loyalty a tad. 

If DJM weren't also doing the 74, it would really be a pointless exercise having a choice of two 71's with very little to choose between. 

I haven't seen the DJM 71 close at hand or in use. But as someone who will admit to buying a Hornby 71 I already suspect that SGP's comment that there is 'little to choose between the two' will prove way off the mark!! As someone who enjoys DCC sound I can confirm that fitting a chip to the Hornby model isn't impossible (as Hattons told a mate of mine) but it isn't easy! Simply because, I suspect, little planning went into the Hornby model unlike upcoming the alternative. The delays to the DJM model,dare I say,is probably because its creator is a perfectionist. 

Additionally my sole Hornby 71 still puts out a lot of black 'gunge' on the track and has already been retired.

OK we've had to wait a few months but hopefully soon we will have a superb model to grace our tracks.

• Like 1

FWIW, we do know that the DJM one does not offer the "without rain stripes" option. On the plus side: the DJM early version does not have cab vents on the corners as per the prototype (the Hornby one does, which is an error). DCC sound conversion will be easy on the DJM version. The DJM version does look to be finer in detail but that could be mute if you consider the Hornby one good enough. Of course the DJM 71 needs to succeed if we are to see the 74 and remember we get a tenner off that. We are not that far from actually seeing them now.

I have two of these on order, a crowd sourcing blue one, and a Hattons Golden Arrow green one (and a crowd sourcing 74).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

FWIW, we do know that the DJM one does not offer the "without rain stripes" option. On the plus side: the DJM early version does not have cab vents on the corners as per the prototype (the Hornby one does, which is an error). DCC sound conversion will be easy on the DJM version. The DJM version does look to be finer in detail but that could be mute if you consider the Hornby one good enough. Of course the DJM 71 needs to succeed if we are to see the 74 and remember we get a tenner off that. We are not that far from actually seeing them now.

I have two of these on order, a crowd sourcing blue one, and a Hattons Golden Arrow green one (and a crowd sourcing 74).

I understand also the sense of huge frustration in the late arrival of the 71 and have also been tempted by the Hornby model, especially at the price now! I have concluded to wait for the end of this year and revisit the matter.

I have a crowd funded 71 on order and have already signed up for a 74 so have a vested interest in waiting. 

• Like 1

FWIW, we do know that the DJM one does not offer the "without rain stripes" option. On the plus side: the DJM early version does not have cab vents on the corners as per the prototype (the Hornby one does, which is an error).

Which is easier to remove - four small cab vents or a lengthy rainstrip?

• Like 1

Which is easier to remove - four small cab vents or a lengthy rainstrip?

Both would require a repaint; though 4 small cab vents would be quicker to do. That said the DJM one is correct in the cab vent/rain stripe area. Anyway In the end you buy one that best suits you.

I do fancy without rain stripes too, but see no point having a few of these between both makes on what was in reality a small short lived rare class.  Likewise the layout is not short of stock these days.

• Like 1

The Legomanbiffo sound decoder (ESU 21P) is available and there will be a reduction for all Crowd Funding Sponsors of this project. For info contact charlie@dckits.co.uk.

Edited by charliepetty

In fairness:

1. Well we were initial told by Hornby that they wouldn't be producing a 71 (not a cat in hell).  

Is this DJM's fault?

2. DJM announced a 71 and then Hornby said that they were doing one after all. 

Is this DJM's fault?

3. Kernow said that the DJM one would be out long before Hornby but that turned not to be the case. 

Is this DJM's fault?

4. As I had already paid for the DJM, I stuck with it, even though Hornby were doing the running number that I wanted. My DJM will need to be renumbered. 

Is this DJM's fault?

5. Now Hornby's 71's are being knocked out for £99 at Rails, it does try my patience and loyalty a tad. 

Is this DJM's fault?

6. If DJM weren't also doing the 74, it would really be a pointless exercise having a choice of two 71's with very little to choose between.

Is this DJM's fault?

I don't think Hornby ever said anything about doing/not doing a 71 until they announced it. I think some in the trade/press were aware that it was on their to do list. Dave has certainly said on here that he was aware that it was on their list of future projects. It seems to have been on the back burner, although they had the basic research. Simon Kohler has said that a loco ahead of it in the queue needed more research so the class 71 was bumped up the list to fill the gap in their announcements.

Come and see one of Dave's Class 71 test sample running 'With Sound' at Wigan, Great Electric Show, Gaydon & BRM Peterborough. 

There on the DCKits/Legomanbiffo Stand.  See you there, Charlie

Thanks to Charlie and Dave for the loan of this loco to run on Meopham East Junction at BRM Peterborough. I should point out that it is a pre production model, one of those which arrived unpainted, just black! Charlie did the painting on this particular loco as he fitted it with a sound system. I should further point out, it was damaged, having only one buffer at both ends, I was very glad when Charlie told me that was not my fault. For a new loco it romped away with the nine Hornby coaches I put behind it. I too await my example which has been on order for just a year now. Everything comes to him who waits!! 

• Like 3

Sorry to be late replying to this, but www.class502.org.uk proves otherwise!

That doesn't explain how the condition of the unit shown in the header photo of your link has been allowed to deteriorate to the point that a total rebuild of the cab areas is now necessary - or am I missing something?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That doesn't explain how the condition of the unit shown in the header photo of your link has been allowed to deteriorate to the point that a total rebuild of the cab areas is now necessary - or am I missing something?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It was meant to show that the unit is no longer derelict, but undergoing restoration. I understand where you were coming from with your original post but, as Chairman of the Friends of the 502 Group, felt I should ensure people know that the unit is no longer owned by the NRM and is being cared for.

Thanks, Duncan

• Like 3