OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Well we were initial told by Hornby that they wouldn't be producing a 71 (not a cat in hell). 

DJM announced a 71 and then Hornby said that they were doing one after all. 

Kernow said that the DJM one would be out long before Hornby but that turned not to be the case. 

As I had already paid for the DJM, I stuck with it, even though Hornby were doing the running number that I wanted. My DJM will need to be renumbered. 

The Hornby one comes with or without (I want without) rain strips but as yet we don't know if DJM will come without rain strips on certain versions. 

Now Hornby's 71's are being knocked out for £99 at Rails, it does try my patience and loyalty a tad. 

If DJM weren't also doing the 74, it would really be a pointless exercise having a choice of two 71's with very little to choose between. 

I don't think you are stuck with it if you don't want it. Kernow's website says "You can also cancel at any time, without penalty, and receive a full refund, right up until the model is sent to you." So if you prefer you can cancel the DJM model and get the Hornby one with the number you want.

Cheers

Keith

• Like 1

That would surely be a rotten move on a crowd funded project. Maybe best to see it through as it is a pretty special first of a kind project after all.

Perhaps but it was the reassurance which drew me in. It follows that if a refund is offered, then it should be honoured if requested. For what it’s worth, I’m sticking with my order even though I have one of the Hornby offerings. The two will make an interesting comparison.

• Like 1

Thanks to Charlie and Dave for the loan of this loco to run on Meopham East Junction at BRM Peterborough. I should point out that it is a pre production model, one of those which arrived unpainted, just black! Charlie did the painting on this particular loco as he fitted it with a sound system. I should further point out, it was damaged, having only one buffer at both ends, I was very glad when Charlie told me that was not my fault. For a new loco it romped away with the nine Hornby coaches I put behind it. I too await my example which has been on order for just a year now. Everything comes to him who waits!!

Just to be really fair, when I handed it over to Charlie at Perth show I did tell him it was a damaged model.

Just how damaged I didn't tell him..........the week before, my pride and joy left my hand at eye level and decided to check out Sir Isaac Newtons thoughts on gravity, landing onto a concrete floor.

That it worked immediately after that was very interesting, albeit with various parts missing.

• Like 2

The DJ Models Class 71

We have had the Hornby ones for some time and fitted them with sound, BUT the design of this loco has not taken into account the fitting of good sound and good speakers, the token gesture of using 1 X Sugar Qube speaker (8Ohm Speaker so quieter) and a Micro decoder as there is 'No Room' for much else, is in this day and age this is just silly!!!  But the Live Pantograph is a must for the 1960s Triang modeller, but useless for most of us in the 20th century DCC era, but saying that the Pantograph on the Hornby model is very nice. On the DJ Models Class 71 which we have had here for the last 12 Months, it is an Pre Production one which is Hand Painted in BR Blue, on the DCC Side its brilliant, well thought out, large speaker area and 21Pin enabled. If you can solder then fitting a sound decoder with a Bass Reflex Speaker will take 10 minutes, very, very easy.   For the DCC Modeller with sound in mind, then the DJ Models loco is the one for you.

That is my honest opinion, nice model and Sound fitting is dead easy.    Charlie

• Like 3

Just to be really fair, when I handed it over to Charlie at Perth show I did tell him it was a damaged model.

Just how damaged I didn't tell him..........the week before, my pride and joy left my hand at eye level and decided to check out Sir Isaac Newtons thoughts on gravity, landing onto a concrete floor.

That it worked immediately after that was very interesting, albeit with various parts missing.

Imagine how I felt, I hadn't noticed the missing buffers until I returned the loco to Charlie. By the way the fellow waving his arms at this loco is one ChrisH, he was protesting at the volume of the sound chip. I should have mention Biffo because he came across to the layout to watch the progress but I had already returned it. He brought it back again and you can watch it on Grassland models video at 7.46. You will note it's now running in the opposite direct on a parcels train but at an equal loading. Tappa has discovered the whistle setting and is giving a concert.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say that the 2 model class 71's are both good

However taking the enforced time to bring to market has added a few tweaks to improve your Crowdfunded model to being a cut above.

For instance, mine has correct size and easily swappable fonts for the head codes depending on era, pipe rigging on the bogie frames that are separate, etched parts aplenty, the vertical stantions that hold the main bogie top step in place had the correctly mounded oval hole in them, correct size roof lift rings, etched works plates where photo's of the real thing show them fitted, correct pants head shape and style, correct under chassis parts.....I could go on........and on........ and on.

Oh and it will, just, take the bigger rectangular sealed speaker Charlie has if you want to remove the original speaker fitting clips.

And conversion to DCC? If it takes you more than 60 seconds your doing it wrong, and DCC sound using the smaller speaker ( the one used for the Western and 22) it should, if you have a hot soldering iron handy, take no more than 120 seconds to fit the decoder and speaker and have the loco on a programming track.

I do love ease of conversion to DCC and one of my party pieces when I was with my previous company was to demonstrate in front of exhibition customers, how quickly I could do it to some locomotives. I think the record for an N gauge 66 was 7 seconds flat.

Now I'm not saying that it would or should ever be that easy in OO, but I truly think ease of DCC conversion and where possible, sound conversion, should be paramount in any model. After all it's so easy to design in, and has zero implications on costs.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

How is the Christmas delivery looking Dave?

To be fair, tight.

There are some interesting things going on in China at the moment that I shall clarify soon. But I must admit what I learnt last week has surprised me somewhat, and could have manufacturer wide implications.

Will report back when I can clarify some more.

Cheers

Dave

To be fair, tight.

There are some interesting things going on in China at the moment that I shall clarify soon. But I must admit what I learnt last week has surprised me somewhat, and could have manufacturer wide implications.

Will report back when I can clarify some more.

Cheers

Dave

Don't like the sound of that at all  :O

It was meant to show that the unit is no longer derelict, but undergoing restoration. I understand where you were coming from with your original post but, as Chairman of the Friends of the 502 Group, felt I should ensure people know that the unit is no longer owned by the NRM and is being cared for.

Thanks, Duncan

Hi Duncan. Thanks for putting me right on this. I'm glad that work is progressing and hopefully one day it'll be back to its former health. 

I saw and heard the DJM 71 on Charlie's stand at Manchester, despite the damage it looked good and sounded excellent.

The loco shortly will have it buffers re-instated!  It will then be 'Un-Damaged'  See it at Stevenage Show & Dartford in January.        Charlie

Well, I have Bif's sound on a decoder just waiting for the one of two DJ 71s to arrive. I have tested it briefly with a small speaker, but am looking forward to sticking one of my bass reflex or bass enhanced speakers in to get the best out of it. :)

Dear Crowdfunder,

It is unfortunate that i write this so close to what should have been a happy day for all of us.

I am sorry to say that production of the class 71 has been temporarily halted due to totally unforeseen circumstances.

Last month the chassis were under construction and tested and i witnessed the QC checking myself. All was good.

However, as the saying goes, 'there's many a slip between cup and lip', and this has proved to be the case.

Most of you are aware of Chinese New Year (CNY) and the implications this has on all manufacturers who use China for production of goods, whether it's trains or washing machines etc. 

But basically it's when China shuts down for a week. Well that doesn't sound too drastic does it? Well it isn't normally too drastic for us in the west who rely on Chinese production as we know its coming and can plan ahead.

But the implications and knock on effects are a pain. As China is so vast, and workers migrate from home from thousands of miles away they obviously want to go home for Christmas.

These trips are long and arduous and take a week in some cases by bus, train or car. This means that you lose not only a week for CNY but also a week before and a week after.

Then there is no guarantee that you will get your already trained workforce back en masse, and not have staff shortages from those who do not wish to come back to work.

Indeed the week to 2 weeks after CNY has finished you will find what looks like open markets in Shenzhen with each 'stall' offering xxx in wages to recruit new staff, vying to fill their workforce with other companies.

OK, so that's CNY, so how does it affect the class 71 in production?

This year has seen a worrying development in the last week, of staff leaving VERY early to go home for CNY  with one model railway factory i know of losing 40% of its' workforce as word spread of this happening. 

It seems like the projected 3 billion transport movements in the next month or so has galvanized the workforce to some degree to leave very early. The trains, like some budget airlines now put up fares closer to CNY you get so this may also have had an effect.

Either way it has hit production, with factories now paying remaining staff overtime etc, to try to complete goods to ship before or around Christmas.

The Class 71 and other projects have been hit by this and i have been given a rescheduled completion date of Late February 2017 for the 71.

I can only apologize for the delay which is very much beyond my control and hope you can understand why and hold out just a little longer for this superb model. And if a production slot becomes available sooner i will push to get the models completed and then i shall ship by air to save time (1 week as opposed to 35 days by sea/land).

If i get further clarification from China on developments, i will of course, post here to let you all know.

I am truly Sorry

Dave

Dave Jones

DJModels Ltd

Well Dave all I can say is thanks for being honest with us.

I do not think we can hold any blame to the Chinese who rightfully want to have some time off, after all they are maybe 60 years behind us in workers rights hence the cheaper production.

End of Feb works for me, but any further delays would be hard to take especially if the alternative becomes less available or more expensive.

Lets get it right and have something special as I am very sure we will do.

Seasons greetings.

Well Dave all I can say is thanks for being honest with us.

I do not think we can hold any blame to the Chinese who rightfully want to have some time off, after all they are maybe 60 years behind us in workers rights hence the cheaper production.

End of Feb works for me, but any further delays would be hard to take especially if the alternative becomes less available or more expensive.

Lets get it right and have something special as I am very sure we will do.

Seasons greetings.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the kind mail and seasons greetings to you too.

It's a difficult time here at DJM towers as you can imagine with this news. To say i'm deeply upset by this is an understatement, and would hope that crowdsourcers remain keeping the faith for another short while to keep the project viable.

I'll probably cover more info on this and lift the lid on various shenanigans, and darker happenings in my yearly 'christmas message' on here, coming soon.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mike,

It's a difficult time here at DJM towers as you can imagine with this news. To say i'm deeply upset by this is an understatement, and would hope that crowdsourcers remain keeping the faith for another short while to keep the project viable.

I'll probably cover more info on this and lift the lid on various shenanigans, and darker happenings in my yearly 'christmas message' on here, coming soon.

Cheers

Dave

keep your chin up Dave and have a wonderful christmas and prosperous new year :)

Edited by Shroomy

Hi Shroomy,

thanks for the kind words too, and yes it covers all 71's

cheers

Dave

If it makes you feel anybetter Dave i had a pipe burst in my loft today lol

and at least i can buy another loco before christmas and use that to pass the time till they arrive happy days :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Cheers

Dave

Best of luck with it Dave - I am married into a Chinese family and can understand the way their manner of working is not always similar or compatible with ours.

There is no way I will be cancelling my two pre-ordered 71s nor the two 74s I have ordered as well. They will arrive when they arrive. I waiting many years for my all blue class 205, so the 71 is being quite quick ;-)

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

..........To say i'm deeply upset by this is an understatement, and would hope that crowdsourcers remain keeping the faith for another short while to keep the project viable.........

Cheers

Dave

Forgive me if I have the wrong end of the stick here, especially at this difficult time, but reading purely the written words above; is there any risk that the whole thing will be canceled if it's deemed no longer viable? Is production not committed already?

All the best with your endeavours and wishing you the success that the project does deserve.

Edited by leopardml2341