Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• Moderators
1 minute ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Looks superb, although that Hornby APT style capacitor surely has a date with a soldering iron😃

To be fair I hadn't even noticed it until looking back at the video clip where I'd got a light on to pick out the motion. A slap of black will sort that out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I'm sure there are good business reasons why not, but could the sound files be made available to purchase separately? So those with different liveries have the choice of announcements?

The sound files are being installed by Kernow if i remember correctly.

Im sure they would consider putting a different sound file or theirs of your choice in your model.

Worth a phone call maybe :-)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I'm sure there are good business reasons why not, but could the sound files be made available to purchase separately? So those with different liveries have the choice of announcements?

For clarity each model comes with five printed destination boards that are specific to the allocation of each model running number at the time it was in that specific livery.  
The sound decoder fitted to the sound versions actually has all the destinations announcements recorded they can be user selected to function keys via CV value changes.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham_Muz said:

For clarity each model comes with five printed destination boards that are specific to the allocation of the each running number at the time it was in that specific livery.  
The sound decoder fitted to the sound versions actually has all the destinations announcements recorded that can be selected to function keys via CV value changes.

Oh fantastic! I was already planning on knocking up some replacement destination boards with the right places, but having sound announcements to match is icing on the cake 👍

(for reference the Crimson Lake one comes with destinations for the Stourport branch, my home line, but the livery I need is the early Choc/Cream 😉)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

There's an awful lot to like and love about this model.

I agree. It's exquisite to watch.

A lovely model overall.  Well done Kernow.

20240118_105336.jpg.192887019bc78b462f7d528527bebd34.jpg

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

There's an awful lot to like and love about this model.

Kernow GW Railmotor 6.jpg

Hidden in there is something you may not have seen before; the motor is cunningly encased in a representation of the vertical boiler.

Kernow GW Railmotor 10.jpg

The running characteristics are superb; as stable on my hyper-sensitive rolling road as anything that's been on there and strong enough to have a tail load of 10 Mk1s. 😐

Muz knows the one bit I'd change.

Good to see that there is plenty of space inside - I’m being heretics with my own sound installation and going Hornby hm7000, so it is good to see that there are possibilities for concealing such a space hungry approach

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Edge said:

Good to see that there is plenty of space inside - I’m being heretics with my own sound installation and going Hornby hm7000, so it is good to see that there are possibilities for concealing such a space hungry approach

I am not aware that Hornby yet produce a HM7000 Plux 22 decoder?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Trying desperately to choose a livery, the maroon one looks red in some pictures and deeper maroon in others.

Obviously down to lighting but for those that have this colour how would you describe it in your eyes please.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Trying desperately to choose a livery, the maroon one looks red in some pictures and deeper maroon in others.

Obviously down to lighting but for those that have this colour how would you describe it in your eyes please.

Thanks.

I flipped a coin to decide which livery to get!

• Funny 2

Hi

With the limited number of destination options I'd like help deciding which to place on each end.

Kidderminster

Bewdley

Hartlebury

Worcester

Stourport

Bridgnorth

Would quite like Worcester on one end, but where would it have gone to and from?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Thanks.

Crimson....

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy to say that the courier did manage to find me today.

I had a nice surprise because the parcel included both my non-sound No. 61 and my sound-fitted No. 97! They were both icy cold when I opened the boxes.

97 has been chuffing around my test loop, running in as suggested. I replaced the scroll irons with the smaller ones and she looks much better for it. No sign of any clashes with the motion on my 2ft radius curves.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Would quite like Worcester on one end, but where would it have gone to and from?

Bewdley, Bridgnorth, Kidderminster, later on one was used to the Malverns.

Kidderminster had two cars, 85 & 98.

Worcester had car 66 which was the one used for the Malvern service

The time frame for SRM services at any location is quite restricted.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

I am not aware that Hornby yet produce a HM7000 Plux 22 decoder?

They do not. I have found a plux12 to nxt18 adapter, and I’ll be using that. Should give me lights, sound and Bluetooth control. 

Edited by Edge

56 minutes ago, Garry D100 said:

Thanks.

At first I thought the crimson was a bit red but having had another look at my photos of 93 I'd say, like eddiethedog has, it is actually spot on.

• Thanks 1

It's lovely to see these models are as good as promised, they look exquisite.

I really wanted to purchase one and came close after seeing the pre-production versions at an exhibition, but commonsense had to prevail, I simply do not have an 4mm layout and the prospect of one might be declining against 2mm.

There's not many trains I see where 'I want one' really applies because of their uniqueness, but this is one such model.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I'm happy to say that the courier did manage to find me today.

I had a nice surprise because the parcel included both my non-sound No. 61 and my sound-fitted No. 97! They were both icy cold when I opened the boxes.

97 has been chuffing around my test loop, running in as suggested. I replaced the scroll irons with the smaller ones and she looks much better for it. No sign of any clashes with the motion on my 2ft radius curves.

That's amazing news.. And, interested that a sound fitted one has been dispatched.. What's the sound like?

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Bewdley, Bridgnorth, Kidderminster, later on one was used to the Malverns.

Kidderminster had two cars, 85 & 98.

Worcester had car 66 which was the one used for the Malvern service

The time frame for SRM services at any location is quite restricted.

So for my one 85 then Bewdley and Kidderminster sound right?

If someone was travelling back in the day from London to Bewdley or Kidderminster how would they have done it?