Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

I'm reminded of another manufacturer who did a model of  a Bolster E. The end elevation of the BR drawing showed the stanchions in all the possible positions on the bolster; the model reproduced this faithfully..

It does help if the manufacturer can read a drawing! Then I seem to recall that Crewe Works had difficulty reading the drawing for the ashpan for Duke of Gloucester!

Steady on.

That needs to carry a warning concerning the identity of the author.

Some people coming across that unprepared will be choking on their corn flakes.

Open with care, contains ABS.

Bernard

Yes, but while IMHO he goes OTT and nit picks, it doesn't mean his comments are wrong.

Slightly OT, but I wonder how many inaccuracies in models will stem from measuring up one prototype or laser scanning . It may lead to an accurate model of that vehicle, but if it's not a typical example! 

And what makes Bernard Lamb such an expert on PO wagons to criticise a list of probable discrepancies regardless of its source? And why should a valid list posted in another place, perhaps one more 'enlightened', be a cause for risible comment and agreement by so many others?

Rather than straight out knocking and libellous allusion to an individual, Bernard and supporters would do well to read the thread and the analysis within it - they might actually learn something.

Did he criticise it? to me it just came across as a humourous warning that the post linked to might be blunter than expected, not the information in it would be wrong.

Many of the faults pointed out have also been pointed out here already.

• Administrators

Looks like Diecast to me, look there's no space for the traditional steel weight.

The wagon is plastic but painted silver. Don't know why they painted it but they did.

Ben Jones asked about the weight but I was too busy taking pictures to hear the answer. They do have a solution though. Remember, the photos show the first moulding, it's not a production item yet.

An exploding gunpowder wagon like the Hornby R249 Exploding Rocket Car would inject a little fun in a London and South Western Railway goods train.

I'll buy one of those! In fact I'd like a whole train. Can they be set to explode under rivet counters noses on the layout?

• RMweb Premium

If the manufacturers are reading this the purchase of a copy of the "4mm Coal Wagon" by John Hayes published would be money well spent. The details, particularly the pictures, would help knock off some of rough edges. It gives a useful understanding of what these wagons should look like even if you only plan to produce a generic model, which I think is the best you can hope for unless you are scratch building.

Roger

And what makes Bernard Lamb such an expert on PO wagons to criticise a list of probable discrepancies regardless of its source? And why should a valid list posted in another place, perhaps one more 'enlightened', be a cause for risible comment and agreement by so many others?

Rather than straight out knocking and libellous allusion to an individual, Bernard and supporters would do well to read the thread and the analysis within it - they might actually learn something.

Pint,

What makes you so sarcastic.

I was very careful not to comment on the substance of the thread on the LNER forum.

I just highlighted the discussion and left it up to people to read it or not.

A few on here took it as just that and had the decency to acknowledge my post.

For that I thank them. I will hardly think that justifies you referring to them as my supporters.

I actually appreciated what Adrian had to say on the subject.

Where you get that I was critical from I know not.

I do point out various faults from time to time myself using rather strong language.

As for risible comment.

The dark side and the AYAS.

Pot and kettle?

Bernard

Pint,

What makes you so sarcastic.

I was very careful not to comment on the substance of the thread on the LNER forum.

I just highlighted the discussion and left it up to people to read it or not.

A few on here took it as just that and had the decency to acknowledge my post.

For that I thank them. I will hardly think that justifies you referring to them as my supporters.

I actually appreciated what Adrian had to say on the subject.

Where you get that I was critical from I know not.

I do point out various faults from time to time myself using rather strong language.

As for risible comment.

The dark side and the AYAS.

Pot and kettle?

Bernard

Perhaps a totally irrelevant and needless post would sum it up in the first place . The sarcasm comments could be said to be in your post first. 

I had already pointed out the LNER Forum post, as the points were/are relevant to the model being produced. The information therein had been written in a very correct and responsible manner.

Lighten up for heavens sake.

Bernard was just having a bit of banter and some of us who read Adrian's posts on here, which may well have contained much factual information but often came across as a bit of a rant, saw the funny side of it.

No more, no less.

Perhaps , but I doubt if Adrian would see the funny side of it . I also doubt if anyone else who had been treated in such manner would either.

So unnecessary and a sad reflection of many forums.

Perhaps we can now keep to the subject of the thread.

The comments appear to suggest that it was the angle at which the original photos were taken that gave the illusion of there only being one door.

The images shown on MREmag ( http://www.mremag.com/news/article/first-look-at-oxford-rail's-new-po-wagon/20450)also show the underside which clearly gives the game away.

Therefore I suspect most will not take much comfort from the "comment" but will wait to see what, if anything Oxford will do about it.

With the facilities at their disposal, one might hope that they can address issues quicker than some of the other RTR manufacturers have been able (or willing) to do.

Sometimes, showing a willingness to acknowledge an error and acting to rectify it can give an impression of the company equally as good as not making the mistake in the first place.

At this stage, creating the right impression is rather important. I'm still looking forward to seeing how their "range" develops.

RP

The comments appear to suggest that it was the angle at which the original photos were taken that gave the illusion of there only being one door.

The images shown on MREmag ( http://www.mremag.com/news/article/first-look-at-oxford-rail's-new-po-wagon/20450)also show the underside which clearly gives the game away.

Therefore I suspect most will not take much comfort from the "comment" but will wait to see what, if anything Oxford will do about it.

Confused by the line in your post I have highlighted. Do you still think there is only one bottom door? I'm also not sure what the photo of the underside proves, there are no doors visible there at all (which is fair enough, its not seen from normal viewing angles anyway)

• RMweb Gold

One point that has not been mentioned here is that the insides of the Oxfordrail wagons were originally going to be painted the same colour as the outsides. I wonder if Oxfordrail have thought about adding loads to their wagons like Wessex Wagons have on some of their wagons.

LOVE the Alum Bay one...............

John

Archived